Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Afg ????

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Afg ????

Our dept has alot of recreational areas, and many areas that we can not get appartus to a pt. I am wondering has anyone recieved funding through an AFG for a polaris ranger or similar item that can be used for rescue in remote locations? Thanks

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Per the PG they are equipment not vehicles so at least they're in the bigger side of the pie.

Small boats (13 feet or less, without fixed fire pumps), jet-skis, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and appropriate trailers may be considered under this activity if properly justified in the narrative section of the application.
    Read that as meaning low priority. I haven't heard of anyone getting an ATV from AFG. Doesn't mean it hasn't happened, but it would be a rare duck.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default atv

check back through the Threads...there is one about a grant program from US SMOKELESS TOBACCO CO. - they give away 72 Rangers per year

website www.usssmokeless.com - look under corporate giving section

MembersZone Subscriber

Red face

We apply for the polaris through ussmokeless and havent had any luck. I was just trying to see if anyone had ever gotten one or if we were going to shot ourselves in the foot by requesting that item.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

It depends on what the other needs are for the department. If you have compliant PPE, SCBA, TICs, LDH, and some of the other main proirities dealing with basic FFing, then if the ATV is the highest need on your list, I say go for it. It's no different than what I tell people going for trucks. Take care of the other goods first, then work after the vehicles since that's the most competitive project. ATVs are only competitive because they are a lower priority.

If it is going to be for patient access, the it's an EMS project under an FD, and they have to fund a minimum of 1.5% of the money for FD EMS Projects. Almost $8 million. Very few FDs go for EMS related items, so there might not be as much competition in that range if that's your lone request. Low priority items get even lower when put together.

For those wondering where I got that, 3.5% of the available money has to fund EMS Projects. 2% of that 3.5% has to go to EMS & Rescue Squads, leaving 1.5%. Luckily I had my caffiene shot this morning otherwise I'd still be working on that math problem.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our RFPS mentioned in the Workshop that a "few" ATV's have fallen thru the funding crack (ie: been funded), not sure what a "few" mean...will try and find out. More info if I can.

MembersZone Subscriber

We got an AFG in 05 for LDH, PPE, TIC. More importantly we need radios and cardiac monitors I was just going to tie all that together. The radios and monitors are much more important so I guess its best to get those. We use several people and good shoes for the trails and stuff now, I guess we will keep using that. Good exercise anyway

Thread Information