Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Unsettling Rumor...

I was recently talking to an Army recruiter. I was asking him about becoming a military firefighter and he told me something rather upsetting. He said that the military is currently phasing out military firefighting and is going to switch to having civilian fire departments on it's bases. Is this just recruiter B.S. or is this true? I'd appreciate any information on the topic. I was hoping to do firefighting as my M.O.S. when I leave high school, I truely hope this is incorrect.

don't listen to him. They told me the same thing. Go to the air force. The army has like 500 firefighters total, the air force has several thousand. I'm in school right now to be an Air Force firefighter.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

The Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marines have military firefighters. Most of the firefighters on the stateside bases are civilians. The Army has very few military firefighters, and they mostly seem to do fire duty only when deployed. The Marines cover airfield only when stateside, everything when deployed. The Air Force get mixed in with the civilians and do airfield and structural at the AFBs and deployed. The Navy has a very small contingent of firefighters, mostly on carriers.

All US military firefighters go to the same school. As I've said on here many times, if you want to join the military for firefighting training, go Air Force. They get all the money and high speed equipment. If you want to be a Marine, and get some some fire training, great, but the Marine part comes first. From what I know about the Army's firefighting MOS-I wouldn't go there. The Army does many things well, but I haven't met an Army firefighter that didn't feel misused and misled.

The Army MOS is 51M, the Marines is 7051. Don't know what the AF terminology is. Army Guard, Marine Reserve, Air Reserve and Air Nat'l Guard also have firefighters, might want to check out that option as well.

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Unsettling Romor

Gunny - The Air Force techno term for firefighters is 3E7x1 or fire protection apprentice.

As far as the Army guard goes, I have a couple of friends in an Army guard FF unit and from what they have told me there 2 units are going from being 28 strong(each) to a couple 5 person rapid deployment teams.

Air Reserve and Air Nat Guard is the way to go if you can't get into Active duty Air Force. You still deploy with the active component. Still get all the nice toys (sometimes hand me downs from the active component) and training.

The Air National Guard has treated me fairly well. Seen a few places I would not have seen otherwise. Been to a few places I would not want to return to as well given our current situation.

Any questions, can be sent to me via email. (bbreiler@yahoo.com)

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    The Army, Air Force, Navy, and Marines have military firefighters. Most of the firefighters on the stateside bases are civilians. The Army has very few military firefighters, and they mostly seem to do fire duty only when deployed. The Marines cover airfield only when stateside, everything when deployed. The Air Force get mixed in with the civilians and do airfield and structural at the AFBs and deployed. The Navy has a very small contingent of firefighters, mostly on carriers.

All US military firefighters go to the same school. As I've said on here many times, if you want to join the military for firefighting training, go Air Force. They get all the money and high speed equipment. If you want to be a Marine, and get some some fire training, great, but the Marine part comes first. From what I know about the Army's firefighting MOS-I wouldn't go there. The Army does many things well, but I haven't met an Army firefighter that didn't feel misused and misled.

The Army MOS is 51M, the Marines is 7051. Don't know what the AF terminology is. Army Guard, Marine Reserve, Air Reserve and Air Nat'l Guard also have firefighters, might want to check out that option as well.

oh, and the training they give you here at Goodfellow is top notch.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

MembersZone Subscriber

The MOS is no longer 51M, it changed to 21M and YES they still have Army firefighters. Last I heard, there are going to be some changes regarding deployement status with them, but I havn't heard anything from the Engineer place about it yet. I'm coming out of retirement and going back in as one (Reserve). There are A/D ones also, but be careful - as I have said before - you may not get to do any firefighting as active duty. It depends on where you get stationed and what unit your assigned to.

If you really want fire protection as a military career and spend most of your time concentrating on that, go Air Force. Don't fall for the baloney from the Navy either.

Forum Member

check this site out: dodfire.com
    or ask your question on their forum... forum.dodfire.com

I am an Army cilvilian and we only have four 21Ms that work with us. They're lucky for now but at anytime can be called back to their unit and push ammo. We have no control over them. I started with the AF and am VERY greatful. I work with guys who started in all the branches and I, by far, got the best training and was most satisfied with my choice in branches. If you want to prepare yourself to be a firefighter... go AF dude!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiredoldman
    I'm coming out of retirement and going back in as one (Reserve).
    Are you in Michigan? I used to know some of the guys from the 1439th and the 1440th up at Grayling.

MembersZone Subscriber

Nah, I'm in Kansas, but the unit is now in Lincoln Nebraska.

Forum Member

Thanks for the advice.

Forum Member

Default Navy firefighting

The Navy has a "DAMAGE CONTROLMAN" rating that is basically the firefighter and fire equipment maintenance personel on ships. All US Navy personel get basic fire training in boot camp, and advanced training if they join certain areas (like submarines). The Damage Controlman are the folks that fix and do preventave maintenance on the fire gear, train shipmates on their ships firefighting and damage control systems, and act as fire team leaders during emergencies.

On flight decks, "AVIATION BOATSWAINS MATES" are the folks who stand by as "CRASH AND SALVAGE" firefighters during flight ops. In an emergency, they would be backed up by DCs and regular ship's crew.

Stateside bases have civilian departments. Overseas bases may have either all civilian departments, or a mixed department, depending on the size and location of the base.

While I did actually get to fight 2 large oil fires pierside, and a small engine room fire, I would not recommend the Navy if you want to be a firefighter. The Navy (like most of the military) is very proactive in fire prevention, but even more so than the other services because if you have a fire at sea, you just can't call in any help!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought only the Aviation Bosun's went to Goodfellow. Doesn't DC have their own school that includes some fire training, but nothing like FF I?

Quote Originally Posted by gunnyv
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought only the Aviation Bosun's went to Goodfellow. Doesn't DC have their own school that includes some fire training, but nothing like FF I?
    that is correct
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    In just one day?"

Forum Member

Default 21 M

My daughter leaves on Tue for basic...she's active duty and got 21 M. We have no idea how, but since it's been a part of her life forever, it makes her happy. Can anyone let us know what she should expect?

Thanks,

Michele

MembersZone Subscriber firedawg312's Avatar

are straigh out of boot or TDY
    " IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN I CAN BLAME MY MISSPELLINGS ON MY PENCIL" -Larry The Cable Guy-

Thread Information