Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MembersZone Subscriber

Question Question Regarding Milwaukee Engine Hose Bed?

I saw this picture and of Engine Co. 27 and Ladder ?. I notice the hosebed and rear of the Engine looks a bit odd. Out of curiocity how is that hosebed set up?

FTM-PTB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FFFRED; 02-07-2006 at 12:00 PM.

Looks like a rear mounted motor, like E-Ones hush pumpers.

What seems odd to me is that I don't see any hose in the hose bed.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looks like a rear mounted motor, like E-Ones hush pumpers.

We have a winner!

I saw this picture and of Engine Co. 27 and Ladder ?. I notice the hosebed and rear of the Engine looks a bit odd. Out of curiocity how is that hosebed set up?
    FTM-PTB

That would be Ladder Co. 5, quartered with Engine Co. 27. Engine 27 is an E-One manufacture, with a rear mount engine.
    Starting from left to right, there are ten sections of pre-connected 1 ¾ in. hose, with the hotel/high-rise pack stored in the compartment beneath.
    Next, two boxes of fifteen sections each of 3 inch, used both as supply and as hand lines. Finally, there is a box with 10 sections of 2 ½ inch, which we run as our “lead line”. Basically, we run the 2 ½ with a 1 1/8 inch pipe, with a gated wye attached, with two sections of reduced attached to the wye. This gives the engine an extra option while stretching the 2 ½; they can stretch the 2 ½ to where they need, un strap the reduced and operate two reduced lines, or the wye can be disconnected and they can run with the 2 ½ alone.
    The E-one is a difficult rig with which to re-pack, and carry hose. Because of where the motor is located, the area in front of the 3 inch is all air vents. As such, nothing can be carried over it.
    Last edited by jasper45; 02-07-2006 at 01:47 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jasper45
    That would be Ladder Co. 5, quartered with Engine Co. 27. Engine 27 is an E-One manufacture, with a rear mount engine.
    Starting from left to right, there are ten sections of pre-connected 1 ¾ in. hose, with the hotel/high-rise pack stored in the compartment beneath.
    Next, two boxes of fifteen sections each of 3 inch, used both as supply and as hand lines. Finally, there is a box with 10 sections of 2 ½ inch, which we run as our “lead line”. Basically, we run the 2 ½ with a 1 1/8 inch pipe, with a gated wye attached, with two sections of reduced attached to the wye. This gives the engine an extra option while stretching the 2 ½; they can stretch the 2 ½ to where they need, un strap the reduced and operate two reduced lines, or the wye can be disconnected and they can run with the 2 ½ alone.
    The E-one is a difficult rig with which to re-pack, and carry hose. Because of where the motor is located, the area in front of the 3 inch is all air vents. As such, nothing can be carried over it.
    Very interesting. What is located where the motor usually sits? What is the benefit of having a rear motor such as this? This is a first I've ever seen one of these...is this common up by you guys?

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Jasper,

Do the new rides have low hose beds?

Jasper - we carry 5" LDH in the rear hose bed along with 2.5 along the driver's side and 3" on the Officer's side. I prefer loading LDH on a Hush because you do have the extra working room for the firefighters loading the hose. Just need to leave the vent open as you stated.

FFFred - NOTHING! is in the place of the usual "dog house" on the rear engine Hush. Makes for incredible amount of room inside the cab and a whole lot less noise. What you do lose though is room in the rear compartments. Like everything else, there's a little give and take.
    IACOJ

Very interesting. What is located where the motor usually sits? What is the benefit of having a rear motor such as this? This is a first I've ever seen one of these...is this common up by you guys?
    FTM-PTB

We have two different styles of “rear mount” e-one. A number of years ago, there was a ridiculous concept here of “paramedic engine” companies, in which a previous administration had an idea, or a hope to maybe install a cot in the cab. This idea never materialized, thankfully. I believe they are “hush” cabs, which is the model name if I am not mistaken. The rig was designed with that thought in mind; it does contain a large amount of cab space. It is also very quiet in the cab. There really is no great benefit to having a rear mount motor.
    All of our newer rigs have the motor mounted under the cab, there is no noise difference between these newer rigs, and the level in the “hush” cab.
    The other e-one that we operate has a 4-cylinder motor; it is grossly underpowered, and very unreliable. In fact, there was a problem in which the rig would shut down while pumping, and not work. Pumping is also tricky, particularly when you start running multiple lines at the same time; often times rig RPM can run dangerously high, and still not put out enough pressure for all lines in operation.
    Somehow, the computer running the system would over heat, and then malfunction. That really is not a good thing to have happen, especially while pumping. E-one does not have a good record of accomplishment here.
    Why did we keep buying them? A retired battalion chief went into business for himself, selling fire apparatus, oddly enough. Would you like to guess what manufacture he was selling?

Every engine company does run with the same set up that you see in the photo. At one time, I would guess that we had around 50% of our fleet operating with E-one. We have since gone to Pierce, and by the end of this year will have 100% of companies with Pierce.
    Most of the E-one apparatus we still have are used as spare rigs now.

Jasper,

Do the new rides have low hose beds?

All of our newer rigs are Pierce, with the traditional “dog house” in place. The hose beds are much lower, and easier to work with, in my opinion.
    Of course, though, nothing is as easy to use as a Mack CF is.

MembersZone Subscriber

Amen!

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

On a semi related note there is a good artilce at www.firenuggets.com regarding hose beds this month. I recomend everyone sign up...there is a wealth of info to be had there.

FTM-PTB

Rescue Me used to use a E-One Hush for a lot of the scenes. Was the only cab they could film inside the truck easily.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

A number of years ago, there was a ridiculous concept here of “paramedic engine” companies, in which a previous administration had an idea, or a hope to maybe install a cot in the cab

and

Rescue Me used to use a E-One Hush for a lot of the scenes. Was the only cab they could film inside the truck easily.

From this, can we deduce that the Hush engines are best suited for fantasies?

MembersZone Subscriber

My department has one of the only Hush units in the North East, I wonder if there is a reason for that.

FFRED, 8 Engine a few years back had one of these for trial use.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainS
    My department has one of the only Hush units in the North East, I wonder if there is a reason for that.

FFRED, 8 Engine a few years back had one of these for trial use.
    If I recall it also served in Engines 64, 275 and it was last seen being towed from the quarters of E 290! Trial didn't work out so well.

Thats the last e-one Engine we had...and after this latest disapointment with the Rescues I don't think we'll be dealing with E-one much in the future...I could be proven wrong though.

FTM-PTB

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED

FTM-PTB
    The chick in green is totally trying to see who the lady next to her voted for!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FFFRED
    If I recall it also served in Engines 64, 275 and it was last seen being towed from the quarters of E 290! Trial didn't work out so well.

Thats the last e-one Engine we had...and after this latest disapointment with the Rescues I don't think we'll be dealing with E-one much in the future...I could be proven wrong though.

FTM-PTB
    http://www.fdnytrucks.com/files/html/brooklyn/e290.htm

There is a pic of the E-One here when it was at E-290. About halfway down the page.
    IAFF
    PFANJ

Forum Member

We have since gone to Pierce, and by the end of this year will have 100% of companies with Pierce.
    Most of the E-one apparatus we still have are used as spare rigs now.
    Including E36? I swear they've had that crew cab style engine forever. You ever get up on that side of the city?
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

All of our newer rigs are Pierce, with the traditional “dog house” in place. The hose beds are much lower, and easier to work with, in my opinion.
    This one is a newer Pierce. My first try at a pic, hope it works.

Thread Information