MembersZone Subscriber

Default AFG proposed funding..cut

Firehouse.com

The Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program in the FY 2007 Budget Request released Monday by the White House, is again seeking funding at less then the appropriation in FY 2006.

President Bush's request for the Department of Homeland Security where the grant program resides, includes just $293 million for the Assistance to Firefighters Grant Program (FIRE Act) down from the $545 million appropriated by Congress last year.

In addition, there is no money earmarked for the SAFER Act or Fire Prevention grants. The President's request for Citizens Corps is $35 million. Last year, it was funded at $20 million.
    Another year of fighting for more funding.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Well, research funded this grant program in the first place, so research is going to have to prove that the funding is still needed at higher levels than it ever reached.

I feel I have been lucky to have helped/talked to/worked with thousands of departments over the past 5 years with this and other grant programs. As many departments have been awarded, there are thousands more that still need funding for the basic items that the AFG deems its top priorities. Changing the priorities is not the answer, changing the rules isn't the answer. The answer is additional funding.

The metrics that I released in one of the other forum threads about how many different departments had been awarded, from where, etc, etc, was just the first piece of the mission. The second part is proof that those that have not been awarded still need their equipment. The only way to do that is good old down and dirty research. Template letters to Congress are just like grant application templates: they don't get looked at as seriously because if you can't take the time to craft your own feelings on paper, no one is going to take the time to read it.

My plan: I will be creating an additional page on my web site to capture information not unlike the surveys that were used to create the priorities for the program originally. The page is not up yet, so in the meantime, gather the following information:

Name & Rank
    Department Name, City, State
    # of times applied
    # of times awarded
    Annual Budget
    Total Call volume
    Top 3 needs from the AFG/NFPA standpoint

The last part means that I want to know what you need according to the program's priority listing. So if you need PPE, SCBA, new pumper, LDH, and a generator, the first 3 are higher priorities, list them.

If you are listing a vehicle as a top need, I will want to know the year and mileage of your front line unit in that category. (Replacing a 1978 pumper is not a priority when you have 2-2001 pumpers, even though the 78 meets age and mileage).

I will notify when the page is up. My plan is to drop a pile of paperwork on Congress just like the NFPA reports that helped create the program, showing that the purpose and scope of the AFG have not been met yet. Letters are nice, and they do show interest, but it's time we hit them with numbers. They're trying to use the award metrics from the last 5 years to prove that the program needs less money, we need to show that those numbers only prove that more money is needed.

It will take me a bit to get the page added because I'll be tying it into a database. Not difficult, just tedious, especially considering the number of applications I'm working on.

Stay tuned, and in the meantime make a lot of phone calls.

- Brian
    Brian P. Vickers
    www.vickersconsultingservices.com
    Emergency Services Consulting
    Westlake VFD - Houston, TX
    Proud Member IACOJ - Redneck Division

Forum Member

This is Washington at its finest. How soon do the suits forget the people that are on the front lines everyday risking our lives to save their friends and families. They are the first people that don't want a firehouse to close in their neighborhood, but also the first to support slashing funding for America's first responders. It is amusing that each year the government continues to fund porkbelly projects, but can't support the people that make them safe. I know that this has been said in many other posts, BUT WE MUST LET WASHINGTON KNOW THAT THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

I encourage each of you to contact every person on your department to make either a personal phone call or write a letter to your local senators and representatives. This will only take a few minutes of your time. This must be done immediately to have an impact and to show that we will simply not roll over without fighting for what is ours. Many of you are part of local and state organizations as well, so let's band together and see if we can generate some political power.

Remember, that if Congress continues to reduce funding, then the AFG and Safer will completely fall by the wayside and we will be in the same situation that most departments faced in the 90's with substandard PPE, equipment, vehicles, and manpower.

Brothers and sisters, good luck and let's try to keep this program alive!

MembersZone Subscriber

I would sure love to see what kind of dollars the folks in law enforcement are getting from the feds next year... This has always been a sore spot for me. I'm not saying those folks don't deserve funding, but what's good for one is good for the other.

We've done very well by the FEMA grants, and we would be in a much worse place without them.

Forum Member

Joel-

Agreed, it seems as though law enforcement is never touched when budgets are reduced or eliminated. Maybe we need stronger, more vocal proponents in Washington.

Brian, if you get stats together please let me know and I will pass along to a few political contacts in Washington.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question I dont get it!

Is'nt this the same goverment that wanted to spend 200+ million on a bridge to some island in Alaska? The fire dept's ask for 2.5 billion,they fund a fraction of that and we on the pointy edge of the spear are gonna say thank you very much? We should'nt have to grovel to any politician to get what we need. It is what it is. Dont come and ask us to do the impossible with a 25 year old pumper or old raggedy turn outs, and then complain when the job does'nt get done! We want to do the job we have been trained to do, just give us the tools to do it!

FH Mag/.com Contributor

rfd - will do. I plan on dropping reams of paper everywhere I can. Thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember folks...the President has tendered lower $$ amounts in years past and the Congress has bumped it back up a bit. I'm not saying that the government as a whole shouldnt be taken to task, but keep in mind that we need to remind our rep's of their responsibility to 'balance' the budget proposed by the prez. Remind them that the scope of todays FD is only growing...while the budget is dropping. The point is true that for every 1 winner, there are 1000 who dont get the grant...and we all could use the help. Stay focused and keep your eye's on the prize!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Yes, last year the proposal was $500 mill. for AFG and nothing for SAFER. Start knocking on doors and visiting your rep's offices. They're in DC now, but in their Districts Feb. 17 - 27. If you can't meet with the members themselves, meet with their fire staffer (sometimes falls under Homeland Security).
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Thread Information