MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=KenNFD1219]I have had several people who did not want to give their SSN. You will not be able to take the test online if you do not provide a SSN or ID.
    QUOTE]

I did not input my SSN on IS-700 exam and received a "passed it" email back from DHS.

Citizen to take IS and ICS. And violating the law by USING SSN. What a bunch of typical DHS BS.

MembersZone Subscriber

I would think that the explorers should be NIMS compliant. You should be using NIMS\ICS for drills, training, or exercises. If they participate, they should know what ICS and NIMS means. Your SOP's also need to reflect the concepts of NIMS.

Most likely, the steering committee is the one responsible to see that you (and they) are NIMS compliant. Has your state office of emergency management or homeland security given you any guidance in NIMS compliance?
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

rolandthunder,

Check with your county emergency manager. The SD Emergency Management web site lists upcoming courses under the training link.

http://www.oem.sd.gov/

I am taking the I-300 this week in Spearfish.

Stay Safe
    IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    I did not input my SSN on IS-700 exam and received a "passed it" email back from DHS.
    Very interesting, I was under the impression that the web site would not process the test without the SSN. Have you received the certificate?

Our state fire academy finally dropped the SSN requirement. We now use the first three letters of the last name and the last four numbers in the SSN. Smith 123-45-6789 would be id'ed as SMI6789

Unfortunatley, the SSN has become a defacto national identifiction number.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Page 5 of this document on the NIMS site has a nice and simple table for who has to do what. Basically restating what Ken had but slightly more readable and 1 page since us FFs have short attention spans.

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/nims/06_training.pdf

MembersZone Subscriber

Deleted-duplicate posting.
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 02-20-2006 at 03:11 PM.
    -------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

One of my projects at work is bringing the town into NIMS compliance. The FD and the volunteer groups (fire police and CERT) were easy, just some minor terminology and SOP adjustments. As far as police, EMS, and public works-well, lets say I might as well be talking to a wall. I did have all 17 department heads for the town attend an IS-700 class last month, and they all passed the exam.

The question I have is do all town response agencies have to be NIMS compliant for federal funds? For example, the FD is compliant but because the PD is not, do we lose out of the AFG this year? I think a lot of people are going to be suprised this year when grants are denied because they do not meet NIMS requirements.

The IS-700 and ICS classes are only part of NIMS compliance. If this is all you do, you will not be NIMS compliant.

The requiremtents for NIMS by September 30, 2006 include your town or governing body adopting NIMS as an ordinance or resolution; using ICS for all events, both planned and unplanned; institutionalizing the use of ICS terms, definitions, concepts, and principals; requirements for multi-disipline and mulit-jurisdictional exercises; NIMS resource typing; modifying SOP's to reflect NIMS concepts; having a joint information system in place; and the ability to develop a multi-agency coordination system (MAC).
    Last edited by KenNFD1219; 02-20-2006 at 03:17 PM.
    -------------------

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The question I have is do all town response agencies have to be NIMS compliant for federal funds? For example, the FD is compliant but because the PD is not, do we lose out of the AFG this year? I think a lot of people are going to be suprised this year when grants are denied because they do not meet NIMS requirements.
    The last "clarification" I got was that it depended on where the funds were going. HUD, HS, etc all go to munipalities, so they would need to be compliant. AFG goes to Emergency Services, and since we all know how well we do getting the politicians to do the right thing, so as long as the entity receiving the money is as compliant as they can be then they're fine.

I also saw a neat definition on the NIMS site.

Tribal and local governments encouraged to start implementing the NIMS. At the end of FY 2005, States and Territories submit a self-certification form attesting that the state, taken as a whole , has met the minimum FY 2005 requirements.
    And the magic wording means:

"Taken as a whole" recognizes that not every community or individual responder will have completed all of the requirements. The "taken as a whole" standard means that most have and that good faith efforts are underway to
    achieve full compliance.
    Nothing like something as ambigious as "good faith effort" to clear things up.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    One of my projects at work is bringing the town into NIMS compliance. The FD and the volunteer groups (fire police and CERT) were easy, just some minor terminology and SOP adjustments. As far as police, EMS, and public works-well, lets say I might as well be talking to a wall. I did have all 17 department heads for the town attend an IS-700 class last month, and they all passed the exam.

The IS-700 and ICS classes are only part of NIMS compliance. If this is all you do, you will not be NIMS compliant.

The requiremtents for NIMS by September 30, 2006 include your town or governing body adopting NIMS as an ordinance or resolution; using ICS for all events, both planned and unplanned; institutionalizing the use of ICS terms, definitions, concepts, and principals; requirements for multi-disipline and mulit-jurisdictional exercises; NIMS resource typing; modifying SOP's to reflect NIMS concepts; having a joint information system in place; and the ability to develop a multi-agency coordination system (MAC).
    Although it should not "directly" affect you in AFG, it will have an overall affect on your town and their ability to access their funding streams and or participate in any State Homeland Security Grant Programs. For instance a regional communications upgrade using Homeland Security money or, if my predications hold true, the added requirement that you will need to be NIMS complaint to participate in CEDAP next year.

If I were you I would have a VERY SERIOUS conversation with the City Manager or Council about the ramifications of "ignoring" this mandatory requirement, as it eventually will affect all of you. If the PD is not eligible to get grant money they are still going to be asking the city council to fund their projects and the arguement could be made that they will take money away from your budget, to fund things that they cannnot get on the grants due to their ineligibility.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    I would think that the explorers should be NIMS compliant. You should be using NIMS\ICS for drills, training, or exercises. If they participate, they should know what ICS and NIMS means. Your SOP's also need to reflect the concepts of NIMS.

Most likely, the steering committee is the one responsible to see that you (and they) are NIMS compliant. Has your state office of emergency management or homeland security given you any guidance in NIMS compliance?
    Ken, thank you for your response. And thank you Brian for that link to "training". I beleive that I have gained a little more insight into this whole mess. It is hard to work toward "compliance" when the roadmap is in Chinese. Thanks again for the translations. Take care and stay safe!!
    Just someone trying to help! (And by the way....Thanks for YOUR help!)

Aggressive does not have to equal stupid.

** "The comments made here are this person's views and possibly that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

MembersZone Subscriber

firenut I have quite a bt of NIMS information maintained here that is constantly updated as well: http://www.chiefsupply.com/grants/re_nims.html
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

Had a class tonight. 30 showed up out of about 40. Some are taking it on line. So we are headed toward the majority. Nobody enjoyed it, but all took it. Much is over their heads and alot is stuff they use every day and don't even realize that is ICS. Every day that you go to a job you are part of a chain of command Whether you realize it or not.

Forum Member

Can someone clear up a few things for me? I have read through the NIMS stuff more then a few times and Im a little confused.

First: If I read it right it says that we have to be at the IS700 to be 2005 compliant right? And if yes what % of the department has to be at that level?

Second: For this year we have to add IS100 and IS200?

Third: Does anyone in a small department need to be trained above that level?

As far as I know I am the only one in any department in this town that is compliant. So if you can get that cleared up for me I can get everyone else caught up.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

100% at IS700 by Oct 2005 was the goal, or "reasonable effort being made". Considering that most of the materials are online and 50% of the country doesn't have internet access, it kinda makes it hard to complete. Same reason so many don't apply, which is the conversation I had with a few DHS folks.

And yes, 100 and 200 will have to be completed by Oct 1st of this year to be 2006 compliant. But since that's after the application period, it's a moot point for this application period as far as applying goes. Awards may be another story. Maybe one day the PG will be published and it will have some answers. Considering the app period opens on Monday, the Guidance documents might help.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rolandthunder
    IS 800 by the chief officer/command level i think. Genus has escaped me this evening.
    earl

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rolandthunder
    Can someone clear up a few things for me? I have read through the NIMS stuff more then a few times and Im a little confused.

First: If I read it right it says that we have to be at the IS700 to be 2005 compliant right? And if yes what % of the department has to be at that level?

Second: For this year we have to add IS100 and IS200?

As far as I know I am the only one in any department in this town that is compliant. So if you can get that cleared up for me I can get everyone else caught up.
    Nitpick ICS100 & ICS200

MembersZone Subscriber

Default 100% compliance

When you talk of 100% compliance, how deep into the roster does that go? We have interior, exterior and support members. Our support members do not actually do firefighting activities. Most times the only reason they would be at the scene of an incident would be to serve hot chocolate or coffee. They more or less help out with fire prevention presentations, open houses, doing gopher stuff, paperwork, recordkeeping, etc. Do we have to have them go through all of this training because they show on the roster as a "member?" I would think that only our interior/exterior and EMS people would need to complete these courses. If I am wrong, please let me know since our roster is well over 120+ when you include the support members and we will have a lot of work ahead of us. And, if anyone can give me an idea of how to get the point across to my chief about how urgent and important this is, I would appreciate it.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

They'll fall under the Logistics sector. Everyone including CERT members need NIMS, but they only need 700 if my brain is working on this Friday afternoon. Maybe 100.

MembersZone Subscriber

If they are on a roster and the manure hits the rotary air distributor, you have "THE BIG ONE", you'll be calling on all of them to help/do something. Right?

When that happens someone is going to be telling them what to do. May or might not be someone they know/from your dept. They need IS700.
    Last edited by neiowa; 02-24-2006 at 03:10 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The term "Volunteer" in NIMS

The NIMS documentation in my opinion lumps ALL firefighters together, career, paid on call and volunteers in one group and calls them "firefighters".

Below is the verbiage from the 2006 NIMS compliance document.
    http://www.fema.gov/pdf/nims/06_training.pdf

Federal/State/Local/Tribal/Private Sector & Non-governmental personnel to include:
    Entry level first responders & disaster workers
    · Emergency Medical Service personnel
    · Firefighters
    · Hospital staff
    · Law Enforcement personnel
    · Public Health personnel
    · Public Works/Utility personnel
    · Skilled Support Personnel
    · Other emergency management response, support, volunteer personnel at all levels

If you look at the FAQ in NIMS web site, question number 399 Last Updated 02/06/2006 12:26 PM, and the response you will see what the NIC says about volunteers.

If you are considering yourself an “entry level person” then you should read the following.

FAQ Answer ID 395 Last Updated 02/03/2006 12:34 PM
    NIMS Compliance and Volunteer Fire Departments

Required Training: Entry Level
    · FEMA IS-700: NIMS, An Introduction
    · ICS-100: Introduction to ICS or equivalent

Personnel –
    Federal/State/Local/Tribal/Private Sector & Non-governmental personnel to include entry-level first responders and disaster workers –
    · Emergency Medical Service personnel,
    · Firefighters,
    · Hospital staff
    · Law Enforcement personnel,
    · Public Health personnel,
    · Public Works/Utility personnel,
    · Skilled Support Personnel,
    · Other emergency management response, support, volunteer personnel at all levels
    The opinions stated herein are those of the author and in no way shape or form reflect the opinions of any organization(s) that I am in any way affiliated with unless otherwise indicated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Grant Template

Does anybody know where I can find some sort of grant templete. I'm in a officer development course and I have write a paper each week and this weeks is writing a grant proposal. Never written one and need to have some ideas.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ENG5TRK
    99 out of a 100 fire departments that I know aren't compliant then.

How am I supposed to track down and make guys who don't come around that often, have busy schedules, or even no internet access to complete NIMS? Good luck getting the "older" active members to take it. We recently aquired the internet at the station, but it'll be next to impossible to get everyone to sit down and take the on line class. My department isn't the busy, hard core staffed 24 hours type station. And what about new members, and juniors? "hey, before you take essentials class (PA), or FFI, we need you to take NIMS IS-1,000,000."

Christ, we have trouble getting guys to go to drill sometimes. Anyone else understand or know what I'm getting at?
    At my volunteer department we also had the problem of people not having the time or effort to take the class. We solved it by setting a cut of date. If you did not have a certificate or an email in hand by April 1 you were out of sevvice untill you did.
    Volunteer Firefighters: We Do It For Free 24/7/365

Forum Member

Default 100% comp.dept

our local EMA director told our department we had to take the 700,800,100 and 200 by oct 1,2006 and next year we will have to take the 300 and 400 and with me being the training officer of our department i just had to set my foot down with the members and gave them deadlines they was to be finished and if they did not they was no longer a member of the department it was that simple period but we have a waiting line to get in our department we only have 40 members max at any given time and that is a max number we will accept.we are a very hard core department to be a member example in 1 year you will be FF1 in 2 years you will be a state EMT in 3 years you will be FF2 and that my friend is in stone no excuse or your not a member and we are 100% volunteer and that my friend is the reason we have taken 1st place the last 10 years in the local FF skills event no department has been able to touch us yet even the local paid departments it just takes work and dedication and not firetruck chasers.

Forum Member

. , . ,
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42
    . , . ,
    . .
    lol

Thread Information