MembersZone Subscriber

As a county we have a IMS that Im guessing meets these standards set by NIMS. Im guessing as long as we as a dept follow the county IMS we are covering the NIMS, or does this AFG/NIMS thing mean each member of the dept should have/needs to have this.

Im I correct in saying that we do not need to meet NIMS (as a hole dept) in order to apply for an AFG in 2006?

Im I also correct that we (as a hole dept) need to meet the NIMS in order to apply next year (2007)?

But as a hole dept every responding member needs to have these classes and have copies in there file buy September 2006?

Thanks
    Last edited by CJPTRUCKIE; 04-06-2006 at 06:40 PM.

Forum Member

Just took IS700 this week.
    I asked the same question about how to get 100% compliance.
    After all, we have guys who never even show up for a meeting. How do they expect Volunteer Departments to mandate that the guys do something extra when the "regular" stuff doesn't get done????

The answer is brutal.....

They do it or get "booted" or put on inactive status.
    -OR-
    You give up recieving Federal Grants.

NO ROOM FOR PLAY.

That said, I see a lot of good info in this class. Use it, adapt it, or forget it. Doesn't matter as long as you attend.

If the idea of "turning over control" to the Feds doesn't appeal to ya, remember you can opt out later if you wish.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MarionMedic
    Just took IS700 this week.
    I asked the same question about how to get 100% compliance.
    After all, we have guys who never even show up for a meeting. How do they expect Volunteer Departments to mandate that the guys do something extra when the "regular" stuff doesn't get done????
    The only enforcement arm they have at this time is funding. If a department chooses to apply for federal preparedness funding the they must also choose to comply with NIMS. If a department doesn't whish to enforce NIMS training requirements or mandate that members complete the training then they have also chosen to be ineligible for funding assistance. Double edged sword ... in some cases it may help a department remove some of that dead wood ... those members that arn't active and don't participate in training, meetings, drills, work details, etc.... should probably be removed from the department anyway. On the other hand there may be members who are active and a valuable asset to the department and strapping them with even more "REQUIREMENTS" may cause them to quit ... thats a bad thing.
    Last edited by sdff1520; 04-07-2006 at 01:39 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firedan1
    our local EMA director told our department we had to take the 700,800,100 and 200 by oct 1,2006 and next year we will have to take the 300 and 400 and with me being the training officer of our department i just had to set my foot down with the members and gave them deadlines they was to be finished and if they did not they was no longer a member of the department it was that simple period but we have a waiting line to get in our department we only have 40 members max at any given time and that is a max number we will accept.we are a very hard core department to be a member example in 1 year you will be FF1 in 2 years you will be a state EMT in 3 years you will be FF2 and that my friend is in stone no excuse or your not a member and we are 100% volunteer and that my friend is the reason we have taken 1st place the last 10 years in the local FF skills event no department has been able to touch us yet even the local paid departments it just takes work and dedication and not firetruck chasers.

He's blowing smoke up your skirt. Considerable lattitude for states to determine what compliance means. In Iowa Cities are to self certify they are NIMS compliant (within state guidelines). Most are using majority of FF and supermajority or ALL of officers/key players.

Anyone that seriously suggest 100% of anything is a fool. You couldn't get 100% of any group to take free $100 bills (or to show up for the handout)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firedan1
    our local EMA director told our department we had to take the 700,800,100 and 200 by oct 1,2006 and next year we will have to take the 300 and 400
    That does not agree with the training requirements from the NIMS Intergration Center ICS requirements

ICS 300 and 400 are for command staff.

IS-800
    is primarily for the local emergency manager.

You can find NIMS training requirements here.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

MembersZone Subscriber

And Ken ,in small town USA, that Emergency Manager is usually the Fire Chief or Police Chief. I wore all three hats at once when the %&$# hit the fan from a hurricane or critical incident. Not dissagreeing withoyu about 300-400, just wnat you to know that sometimes we ARE the designated EM for our small towns, as nobody else has the common sense or experience to turn mayhem into an organized effort.
    Kurt Bradley
    Fire/EMS/EMA Grant Consultant
    " Never Trade Skill for Luck"

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by KenNFD1219
    That does not agree with the training requirements from the NIMS Intergration Center ICS requirements

ICS 300 and 400 are for command staff.

IS-800
    is primarily for the local emergency manager.

You can find NIMS training requirements here.
    You know the old saying about what rolls downhill, sometimes better to know what is fixing to roll at you! The NRP is the bible by which everything else functions. Better to start at the base and build upon that sometimes.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Kurt:

I know what you mean. I am the Deputy Fire Chief (paid) and the Deputy Emergency Manager (volunteer) in my town. My daytime on duty coverage, with police, fire, and EMS, is about 25 people. Nights and weekends are about 18.

My point is that there is a difference between what is required for NIMS and what is available. There is a lot of mis-information going around as to what is required for NIMS compliance. The NIMS Integration Center has all the requirements posted. IMHO, there is little reason for a probationary fire fighter to receive National Response Plan training. We have put all our fire, police, and ems people through IS-700 and ICS-100, using the self-study method. Supervisors have ICS-200. Emergency Manager and I have IS-800.
    -------------------
    "The most mediocre man or woman can suddenly seem dynamic, forceful, and decisive if he or she is mean enough." from "Crazy Bosses"
    -----------------------------------------------
    Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless.

Forum Member

Our EMA Dir.has told us we will have the 700,800 100,200,300,and 400 i think its crazy to and do you want to here something even more far fetched by December 2007 every member has to be a Haz Mat tech in our county if we wish to continue to get yearly funding from our county.I currently talked with the state on this and the way our state has it set up the local EMA Dir. can tell us what training or what cert.level you will have because we are getting county goverment money.Ihave also talked with other county EMA Dir.in our surrounding areas and they was going to follow what our county EMA Dir was doing .But in all reality if you go and look it up the county we live in is one of the highest trained and most safe place in our state to live in

MembersZone Subscriber

Ken you are right, and I did not mean to imply that ALL should take IS-800, I only meant command staff.

Now if Ray Nagin and Kathryn Blanco had taken the course maybe they might have understood how to initiate the Federal response and what that response was going to be and how long it would take.

Too bad they never learned the lesson that we here in Florida have been living under now since Andrew! I hear everyone complaining about "Oh my God" look what happened in New Orleans. I can tell you from " first-hand experience". It was not as bad as Andrew was in terms of recovery and Fed response.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ktb9780

Now if Ray Nagin and Kathryn Blanco had taken the course maybe they might have understood how to initiate the Federal response and what that response was going to be and how long it would take.
    Nah Have to be trainable for instruction to take.

Forum Member

The FEMA virtual campus lists a telephone number to call and request scantron answer sheets. You can download the courses and teach them in house as previously mentioned. Fill out the answer sheets and mail them in 1 envelope. They will be graded and the certificates will be mailed to your Dept.
    What is that phone number? I looked and looked but didn't see a phone number that specifically mentioned calling for scantron forms.

While I prefer to do it online..as do a few others...I think it would be easier for one of our instructors to teach the class from paper and administer a paper test.

Also...when I go to the website to look at the IS200 materials...the only course available on the virtual campus...or any other list I can find...is called IS-200FW for Federal Workers.

What is plain ole IS-200 and where is it???

Thanks!
    Last edited by 2Chief; 04-17-2006 at 12:34 PM.

Forum Member

(301) 447-1256

Just a note, when sending in the scantron forms, be prepared for a minimum 6 month delay in getting test results/certificates. I called 2 weeks ago on my December forms and they informed me they have not even been looked at yet. The online method is much much quicker.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

So, if you do a classroom setting and send in your scantron answer sheets but they won't be processed for six months .... how does that affect your compliancy? The people took the tests but have no certificates. Can you put a copy of the scantron on their file and have it count? We're looking at doing classroom setting for older folks who are not confident enough on a computer or don't have access to a computer. I don't want to waste the time doing this if they aren't going to count. We have close to 125 people to get compliant.

Forum Member

Looks like we'll just stick with the computer then. I guess it wasn't that bad for those who don't "like" computers.

I'm still baffled on where to find the IS-200 course info. All I keep finding is IS-200FW Federal Worker.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ksmith31
    So, if you do a classroom setting and send in your scantron answer sheets but they won't be processed for six months .... how does that affect your compliancy? The people took the tests but have no certificates. Can you put a copy of the scantron on their file and have it count? We're looking at doing classroom setting for older folks who are not confident enough on a computer or don't have access to a computer. I don't want to waste the time doing this if they aren't going to count. We have close to 125 people to get compliant.
    Do a classroom style course, have them complete the test and then have someone enter the information in the computer for them. We did a classroom setting and sent folks home with the web address so they could enter there own test information online, or if they didn't have internet access we had a couple of guys on our department take the filled out tests and enter them in the computer for them. All you need is name, address, SSN and a copy of the test. Most of the certificates have been showing up within a week.

Forum Member

.... how does that affect your compliancy?
    We had permission from our county training academy to host the course, and then they furnished Certificates of Completion. Not the same as the Fed cert, but at least it was something to show they had attended the training.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

You might also try conducting your training at the local high school or community college computer lab as a group excercise. I have several departments here in Flaoida who have chosen that route and it is very efficient and fast.
    Kurt Bradley

MembersZone Subscriber

You might also try conducting your training at the local high school or community college computer lab as a group excercise. I have several departments here in Florida who have chosen that route and it is very efficient and fast.
    Kurt Bradley

Forum Member

Thanks for the links ksmith31! For some reason I was able to find all but the IS-200 course. Now I've got all of them.

We already have 700 as a department...but were unaware of the 100,200 needs. Looks like I know what our next two training sessions will be about!

Thread Information