MembersZone Subscriber

Question Remote Monitors for Brushtrucks

We are thinking about getting a remote monitor for the front of our 6x6 2 1/2 ton brushtruck 1,000gallon tank and 125gpm pump. Mostly to asist when were short firefighters and to knock down the fire line fast. This is a very expensive item for us, we are a very small rural dept. we only have 6 fire fighters. Would like to know pros and cons from people who have actual used them, and how do you protect them. We take our 6x6 almost anyway, through brush, bushes, forrests etc. Thanks for you help.

Forum Member

Spray bars are alot cheaper and will work for knocking down fire. I've even seen some homemade ones using galvanized pipe and a couple of 1" nozzles that seemed to work pretty good. I like spraybars on 4x4 or 6x6 water tenders, I've seen some converted military 6x6 tenders put out alot of fire with only one FF in the cab using a spraybar under the bumper. They work great for putting in a wetline for firing out too. Good in grass, but not nearly so good in brush or timber, so it does matter what fuel types you expect to run into.

I've never had a chance to actually play with one of those remote nozzles on a fire. I got to play with one when a salesman brought a brush truck around to a department I was working for but that was just squirting water in a parking lot. I thought it would be nice to have but as I recall it was a $5000 option, and I don't think it was quite that nice. There is only one department near me that has one, theirs is on a tender. Some of the guys really like it but others don't. If you have the money, why not try one out, otherwise I would think there are more important things to get.

I guess this really isn't that helpful.
    Last edited by NonSurfinCaFF; 02-08-2006 at 10:38 PM.

Forum Member

Default Monitor solution

Quote Originally Posted by volfireman034
    We are thinking about getting a remote monitor for the front of our 6x6 2 1/2 ton brushtruck 1,000gallon tank and 125gpm pump. Mostly to asist when were short firefighters and to knock down the fire line fast. This is a very expensive item for us, we are a very small rural dept. we only have 6 fire fighters. Would like to know pros and cons from people who have actual used them, and how do you protect them. We take our 6x6 almost anyway, through brush, bushes, forrests etc. Thanks for you help.
    I had a monitor mounted mid truck on my first Tender I built and loved it. I could set it and pump and role. On the front end I had a spray head that I could aim or replace with a fire nozzle and that is the cheapest way to go. I just plumbed it into the bumper and controled it with a air valve. I just picked up a NICE Akron Apollo 3416 Stand Pipe Monitor for my new Tender I just built for $250.00 used and saved around $2,500.00 buying it this way. It will also mount mid truck and I can aim it where it is needed and pump and role or just stay in one place using it till my 2,500 gals runs out. The Remote ones are nice for smaller trucks but for a big one you probley could get away with a hand set one and save a lot of money for as offten as you would use it. Mark
    Like this one below except on a stand pipe.
    http://www.firehouseinternational.co...KR-3414-lg.gif

MembersZone Subscriber

we have the akron remote monitors, they work nice but can dump alot of water. Most on the dept try to drive and work the monitor back and forth, i just set it and drive the fire line. The spray bars would work alot better when in grass or field fires. Our chief just decided on high tech vs. home built.

MembersZone Subscriber

See http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter....cts/rec58u.pdf

Complete set of plans to build your own.

A LOT of great info at the Roscommon web site.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Cool

Quote Originally Posted by neiowa
    See http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter....cts/rec58u.pdf

Complete set of plans to build your own.

A LOT of great info at the Roscommon web site.
    I was looking for something like that. I thought I should be able to build one but wasn't sure how to start. Info like this is why I keep coming back here. Thanks
    Jeremy Quist
    Chief
    LVFD
    Laurel, NE

Not the end of the earth, but you can see clods falling off from here.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lenny91
    I was looking for something like that. I thought I should be able to build one but wasn't sure how to start. Info like this is why I keep coming back here. Thanks
    Not much memorable about Mi but their taxpayers sure have done the beer budget FD a BIG service in funding Roscommon thru the years.

Thread Information