Forum Member

Default Des Moines Fire dept.

I was just wondering if anybody is in line to take the DMFD CPAT in Apr.

Gabe

Forum Member

I was thinking about taking the test but I only have my EMT-B right now.

Forum Member

Crow,
    Correct me if I am wrong but i dont think you need to have any certification to apply. You would have to have it by the time you finish drill school.

Gabe

Forum Member

Requirements: YOU MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or GED at the time of application. 21 years of age on or before the administration of the written examination (5/3/06). Possession of a valid motor vehicle operator's license. Prior to graduation from Recruit School-Possession of an Emergency Medical Technician-B and EMT-P certifications, a Class D driver's license; and Firefighter I and II certification.

Forum Member

Gabe,

You're right. But for most of the departments I have tried out for so far only require the EMT-B. I don't know if there would be enough time to achieve an EMT-P certification from hire until graduation from recruit school. Do you think there would be?

Forum Member

Crow,
    I'm not sure but I will call Des Moines HR tomorrow and get the complete story. When I turned in my app at HR the lady that reviewed it said all was in order. I'm assuming that what they will do is train so many as EMT-B and a select few as paramedics. Crow where about in IA are you in.

Gabe

Forum Member

Gabe,

Thanks. Please keep me posted. I'm from the Omaha/Council Bluffs area.

Forum Member

Im there, Did my first practice session for CPAT tuesday, not very hard, the thing im worried about is the Oral Board Exam, heard those are tough. By the way all you needed to apply was ur diploma/GED and valid drivers license

MembersZone Subscriber

I am also wondering how this works. I don't have my paramedics license, but I do have EMT-B. Also, I don't have FFI or FFII. If I am fortunate enough to be selected for the academy, do they provide me the education to obtain these certifications, and do they pay for it? Or is it expected that I work towards them on my own, and have to have them before the academy is finished? As far as the practice for the CPAT, do you just show up or do you need to schedule a time? Also, does anyone know if DM fire dept allows ride alongs? Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone.

Mack

Forum Member

In the past they have sent people to paramedic school post hire.

MembersZone Subscriber

Know someone who got hired about two years ago and he had to get paramedic done by the time he was done with recruit school. It was not only a few they selected it was the whole class and they had some who couldn't do it and dropped out.
    They give you the books and you need to do the work. But, I guess they were helpful with it.
    Good luck.

Forum Member

I retract my last statement about CPAT being easy, I went through the whole thing lastnight and was walkin to the last station and my legs cramped, I got alot to work to do by the end of April. Good luck to everyone takin rhe exams

MembersZone Subscriber

Has anyone been through the Des Moines process before or know anything about the tests? I have taken the CPAT before so I know what to expect there, but as far as the written test goes, anything in particular to study or what types of questions they have. Also, not to get ahead of myself, but what kinds of questions do they ask in the interview? Also, does DMFD allow ride alongs? Thank for the help and good luck at the upcoming tests.

Mack

MembersZone Subscriber

Its been a while since there was any talk about Des Moines on here so I thought I would bring it to the top again. I still haven't talked to anyone that know what the format for the first interview is like, and what kind of questions they will ask, but hopefully someone on here will know. I have my interview coming up in early July and want to be as prepared as possible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks and good luck to everyone else interviewing.

Mack

MembersZone Subscriber

How did everyone do on the interview this week? I had mine today and I think I did really well. I can't wait to hear back how I did, I really like Des Moines and would really like to work for them. What types of questions did that ask everyone, or did they just ask the same questions all around? Anyone know when the chief's interview will be? Good luck to everyone.

Mack

MembersZone Subscriber

How many did they interview?

How many are they going to select to go to the Chiefs interview?

MembersZone Subscriber

Well I finally got the good news. I start the academy on the 15th.

If anyone lives in Des Moines or is starting the academy let me know because I am moving from Minneapolis and looking for a place to live.

Have a good day.

MembersZone Subscriber

Joel,
    Congratulations on making the academy. I didn't make it to passed the first interview so I never saw the chief. What kinds of questions did they ask you and how long was the interview? Do you know how many people they ended up hiring for the academy? I know that I will be applying the next time they open up applications, but do you know if they test annually or is it every other year? Anyway, good luck in the academy, I know Des Moines is a great city and looks like a great department.

Mack

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Mack22 View Post
    Joel,
    Congratulations on making the academy. I didn't make it to passed the first interview so I never saw the chief. What kinds of questions did they ask you and how long was the interview? Do you know how many people they ended up hiring for the academy? I know that I will be applying the next time they open up applications, but do you know if they test annually or is it every other year? Anyway, good luck in the academy, I know Des Moines is a great city and looks like a great department.

Mack

I believe they are hiring 12 people and the hiring process is done annually. Don't quote me on any of this because it is only word of mouth.

MembersZone Subscriber

Joel,
    How was the academy? Are you done yet? I see that Des Moines is hiring again and I am going to apply again. Did you have to get your paramedic cert and how does that whole process work. I live in Ames right now and really like DM so I want to work there. Any helpful advice for the hiring process. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain, I just got close but not quite there last year and really want to make it this year. Thanks for the help.

Mack

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Mack22 View Post
    Joel,
    How was the academy? Are you done yet? I see that Des Moines is hiring again and I am going to apply again. Did you have to get your paramedic cert and how does that whole process work. I live in Ames right now and really like DM so I want to work there. Any helpful advice for the hiring process. I hope you don't mind me picking your brain, I just got close but not quite there last year and really want to make it this year. Thanks for the help.

Mack
    They send you through PS school at Mercy if you get hired, you have to pass it. Oh - at least Mercy cleaned house, maybe they will have good instructors this time around...

Forum Member

Is there an actual application for Des Moines Fire or just what is included in the Firefighter Recruitment packet?

Forum Member

Does anyone know when Des Moines plans on testing?

Forum Member

Does anyone know anything about the Civil Service Exam with Des Moines, what type of questions they ask, how many are interviewing you? Anything would be helpful. Anyone else out there take the written, just wondering how everyone did?

Forum Member

Anyone else out there currently going through the process with Des Moines? I was wondering if anyone has any info that would be helpful. How many they are hiring and when? Anything would be great.

Thread Information