MembersZone Subscriber

Question oral board question employee crisis at emergency

ok here is my question you are at a scene treating multiple pts when one of your co workers collapses your other pts arent stable and m/a hasnt yet arrived what do you do? What are the oral board members looking for in an answer here? Another question is conflicting orders Exp. You and your Lieutenant are in a building of house which was previously on fire he asked you to go get a pike pole so you can start overhaul and check for extension while retrieving the pike pole your chief tells you to start throwing ladders to the second story. What do you do? I guess im just not sure what there looking for here is there anyone who could offer me some insight? It would be greatly appreciated

Forum Member

What they are looking for is your own personal answer along with justification. They want to see how you deal with things on the fly.

Be careful asking other people their answers, they could lead you down the wrong path. Having said that, my own personal thoughts that could help or hurt you are as follows:

#1. Check your co-worker immediately. He/she is now another patient. You need to do an immediate triage to see how critical they are. If they are stable, then put them in recovery position and you can focus back to the least stable of your other two patients. If your co-worker is unstable, they are now a priority over the other unstable patients. Why? because we protect our own first.

#2. Tell your chief "yes sir, however my LT has asked me to grab a pole and start overhaul. Would you like me to ignore that order and ladder the building or complete that assignment first and then report back to you?"

It is now up to the chief to make the decision on which task is more important for you to do. If he tells you to ignore overhaul and ladder the freakin building then say 'yes sir'. Hustle your arse to a ladder and radio your Lt. saying that the chief has re-assigned you for the time being.

As I said, these are my own opinions on what is right or wrong for those two questions. Decide for yourself if they make sense. The most important thing is the reason why you feel a particular answer is suitable... an interview board may ask you to explain your answer and you'd better have a clear and sensible explanation or else you'll just look like someone who threw out an answer because he heard it somewhere.

MembersZone Subscriber

thanks for the advice man i appreciate it i just wasnt sure about patient abandonment on the first question and i wasnt sure on the second question because it pertains to fire suppression seeing how there are no immediate life threats i wouldnt say secondary means of egress would be a top priority its just so gray that i wanted to get more opinions on it thanks for your help

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scrubbintoilets
    i wasnt sure on the second question because it pertains to fire suppression seeing how there are no immediate life threats i wouldnt say secondary means of egress would be a top priority

Ah, now here is where I can definately help you out. When you are dealing with officers YOU HAVE NO OPINION

You may give officers facts if you believe they may not have them, but you are not there to offer opinions or temper an officer's orders with your own opinions on tactics. Your job is to say 'yes sir' wherever feasible. The number of times as a probie that you will be expected to consider or discuss the appropriatness of a superior officers tactics on the fireground is precisely ZERO.

Dumb down all interview questions into the simple base question. In this instance the question is simply what do you do when two officers give you different orders.

Best of luck

Forum Member

Thumbs up Orders

Most probies have been here. GOOD LUCK!

Thread Information