Forum Member

Question New Hydraulic Cutter?

Just read an article about a new Cutter from RESQTEC. It is the G6 cutter and its rated at a cutting force of 280,000 lbs! Also states that the cutter blades are better designed and actually allow the tool to "cut" the material rather than compress it. The tool is also compatible with any high or low pressure system. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has either used this new cutter or has investigated its use.
    Sounds like it might be the cure for all of the HSLA stuff we have to deal with now as well as "maybe" Titanium.
    Look forward to any replies.

Forum Member

Would be nice, looking at their website looks like very high quality aluminum stuff. NOW if it performs as well as they say, woohoo...F*ck hurst, gimme Resqtec. I've seen, and read articles as well. I'd like to try it.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Hehe,you'd like to,I'm going to.I'll let ya know how they work. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    F**kin show off!

Cant wait to hear what you have to say about them.
    Shawn M. Cecula
    Firefighter
    IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101
    Please do.....we are going to start looking at new cutters/spreaders soon.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Forum Member

Default It ain't what it seems

I was at the LSU show a couple of weeks ago, All the manufactures were there and reprsented well. The Res Q guys were really pushing their 280+ pressure the Hurst guy walked by with what he said was an MOC II a curved blade cutter he said it had 152,900 lbs cutting force and it was run by a back pack battery power unit. He had a piece of 1 1/2 inch solid steel bar and cut it and I mean cut it. He then handed a piece to our Captain and our Captain turned to the Res Q guy and asked if he could cut it. The Res Q guy started catfishing stating his equipment was for demo's only. He then stated that his equipment was not intended for this use. I don't know but to me Res Q got called on the carpet and failed to dance. Our department has asked Hurst to bring their high pressure Centaur system they now have a cutter with 213,000 lbs cutting force.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firemed821
    I was at the LSU show a couple of weeks ago, All the manufactures were there and reprsented well. The Res Q guys were really pushing their 280+ pressure the Hurst guy walked by with what he said was an MOC II a curved blade cutter he said it had 152,900 lbs cutting force and it was run by a back pack battery power unit. He had a piece of 1 1/2 inch solid steel bar and cut it and I mean cut it. He then handed a piece to our Captain and our Captain turned to the Res Q guy and asked if he could cut it. The Res Q guy started catfishing stating his equipment was for demo's only. He then stated that his equipment was not intended for this use. I don't know but to me Res Q got called on the carpet and failed to dance. Our department has asked Hurst to bring their high pressure Centaur system they now have a cutter with 213,000 lbs cutting force.
    The CEN MOC II has 152,900, the CEN MOC has 156,240. Hurst does not make one that is in excess of 157,000 that is available for sale yet. I do belive though that the next tool released in the Centaur line will be pushing 215,000+. The Parrot blades(looks like a parrots beak), as seen on the MOC II seem to be the way to go in blade design these days. While it's nice to know that the Hurst stuff can cut the 1-1/2" round bar, I doubt you will ever do it, though it will make quick work of nader pins for those that still belive it's a quality technique (i'm not one, BTW)
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Forum Member

Default MOC Ultra cutter

We are told that the Centaur MOC Ultra will be at FDIC. Over 215,000# available cutting force... sounds real nice!

Forum Member

And my cutter XYZ has 500,000# of cutting force. These numbers mean nothing . There marketing ploys and should not be taken seriously. The question is what is there NFPA rating and who completed the tests.

Forum Member

I used the MOC III (that is what the hurst rep called it) touting excess of 200,000 lbs cutting force. It had the long "parrot" blades. It was quite heavy and slow, due to the large piston needed to generate the force. It cut the 1 1/2" bar.
    Holmatro had the 4050NCT there also. It was a few pounds lighter, and faster opening closing. It cut the 1 1/2" also. It was rated at excess of 200,000lbs. It has been available for about a year now. I like the NCT blade design better than the longer blades(parrot) type. It was easier to get in, and pulled itself in. Also, the new 4050 is narrower and easier to get in.

HOLMATRO fan.

MembersZone Subscriber

Just what part of the vehicle are you cutting that requires 200,000+ PSI? Are we talking about automobiles or trains? I do not know of a vehicle maker that is building their cars out of 1-1/2 steel bar, so why are we using it as a test? If you need that much pressure you better re-think your extrication procedures and do some brush-up on your vehicle anatomy. You are talking about pressures that can shoot a bolt or fastener completely through somebody. When will the tool manufacturers jump up to the Million PSI tools? Do you realize that car crushers typically run 2-30 Ton (60,000 psi) rams? That's only 120,000 psi to completely crush the car and people are looking for cutters in excess of 200,000 psi to cut the car? I guess I just don't get it!

P.S. - If the 1-1/2" round bar was mild steel, it still may not cut thin guage Ultra-High Strength or Boron steel.
    Last edited by harley4227; 02-21-2006 at 11:08 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by harley4227
    Just what part of the vehicle are you cutting that requires 200,000+ PSI? Are we talking about automobiles or trains? I do not know of a vehicle maker that is building their cars out of 1-1/2 steel bar, so why are we using it as a test? If you need that much pressure you better re-think your extrication procedures and do some brush-up on your vehicle anatomy. You are talking about pressures that can shoot a bolt or fastener completely through somebody. When will the tool manufacturers jump up to the Million PSI tools? Do you realize that car crushers typically run 2-30 Ton (60,000 psi) rams? That's only 120,000 psi to completely crush the car and people are looking for cutters in excess of 200,000 psi to cut the car? I guess I just don't get it!

P.S. - If the 1-1/2" round bar was mild steel, it still may not cut thin guage Ultra-High Strength or Boron steel.
    The PSI of these tools are 5000 or 10,500, not 200,000+. The 200,000+ is the lbs of cutting force that a cutter is able to cut at. As far as why would you want to cut a piece of 1 1/2" round bar, ask Subaru why they have it going through the center of a B-post!

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand PSI and cutting force. What I am refering to is that new vehicle construction requires new extrication techniques....not more force. The reinforcement that you are talking about is only found in a portion of the B-Post on the Subaru Forrester. Here is a pic courtesy of State farm Insurance. You will also see that the reinforcement is only within a portion of the Post and it is far from 1-1/2" in diameter.

Forum Member

Totally true, we need more new techniques. The other side of that is, that we need to be able to cut these spots when all else fails, or we have a critical patient, that needs to come out "now".
    Incidents don't always go like training scenarios say they should. This is the biggest lesson trainers who are not Firefighters or Rescue Professionals must learn. Even a pocket full of new techniques sometimes can't help and a less desirable cut must be made. Put together all the powerpoint presentations you want, attend all the seminars, and read all books and ERG's you can find. You still need 10 good years of experience in the back seat of a red truck before you begin to realize that really know only a little bit, and something new is waiting at the next incident.

Yes, try and work around obstacles, use the new, safer techniques, but, it sure is nice to know that you can cut it if you have too.

Forum Member

The rod in a post is just one of a number of "improvements" Subaru has made recently. Personally,I wouldn't take the gift of a Subaru;but if you haven't had to deal with one, you will and they aren't always the easiest vehicle to access.I'm not a big fan of cutting anything that is either thick or hardened but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.Thru these forums many of us have gained knowledge we would have to get the hard way otherwise.And the Mfgs are coming up with new and improved ways to challenge us on a regular basis.Continuing education helps when you run across these problem childs.The fun never stops. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Subaru B-Post

Here are some pix on cutting the post. This is the foerster model, the WRX STI model is the one with the huge bar in the center. Maybe even the WRX model has the 1 1/2 bar in the center. If anyone has pix of other post please send.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Forester Actually has Two Round bar through post

I see someone took some Pic's at the Long Island show. However, what you can't see is there are actually two round bars running the length of the upper "B" post. One runs along each side instead of the middle. If you must cut this post with a traditional "wrap around cutter", I suggest trying from one side and then coming in from the other. Remember, a cutter is strongest at its notch. The cutter used here was the advanced blade design, and did make the cut in one try, however, we don't all have these.

Another option, is to use a straight blade type cutter found on many combination tools. Many times you will find that a straight blade cutter will cut through bar stock much easier then traditional "wrap around cutters".

Important thing like stated above is to have another option.
    "Training Today for a Better Tomorrow"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GFPD7616
    Here are some pix on cutting the post. This is the foerster model, the WRX STI model is the one with the huge bar in the center. Maybe even the WRX model has the 1 1/2 bar in the center. If anyone has pix of other post please send.
    The STI has a bar runninng widthwise across the dash for rigidity. Similar to the forester they also have bars in the B posts for flexion, and rollover reasons. They know people will be thrashing those cars.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Forum Member

Default Response for LSU Show

Quote Originally Posted by firemed821
    Before I give my response I want to make it clear that I believe this forum should not be used for commercial purposes. At the same time I also believe anybody has a right to defend himself. I am responding to the message of firemed821.

I am a firefighter in St Tammany Parish, and I also have a company that distributes RESQTEC hydraulic tools and equipment. My company was the vendor represented RESQTEC at the LSU show. I was NEVER approached during the whole show to cut any item. I asked my employees and they said the same thing. I am not saying anything about firemed821, but I am very unhappy with these bold statements as they are misleading!

I decided to distribute RESQTEC’s products because I believe in their tools and I have complete confidence in them; I would have not backed down from any challenge! Especially not if it involved cutting 1.5 inches – although I believe a tool should be judged on different aspects. If anyone in Louisiana or Mississippi does not believe me, I would be more than happy to set up a demonstration, or a “head to head” with any of my competitors.

P Bougere
    Gulf-South Rescue,L.L.C.
    Ponchatoula, LA

Forum Member

Any tool in the hands of a properly trained operator will accomplish the task that it was designed to do... This is starting to look like another "my tool can beat up your tool" debate.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Advanced Tool Design

When your Power Tools won't start, better know your basics.

With all the new tool advancements, they still rely on a man-made power source. They all will fail. The true professionals will be left standing with their basic hand tools and imagination in-hand, while the victims are transported to the hospital.

Always start with the basics and have a back-up. We will always be thankful for new technology and advancements, but never forget where we came from, and continue to train that way. Power is nothing without technique.
    "Training Today for a Better Tomorrow"

Forum Member

Default champions new cutter

Quote Originally Posted by MaximI
    Just read an article about a new Cutter from RESQTEC. It is the G6 cutter and its rated at a cutting force of 280,000 lbs! Also states that the cutter blades are better designed and actually allow the tool to "cut" the material rather than compress it. The tool is also compatible with any high or low pressure system. I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has either used this new cutter or has investigated its use.
    Sounds like it might be the cure for all of the HSLA stuff we have to deal with now as well as "maybe" Titanium.
    Look forward to any replies.
    The new cutter from resqtec is nice but what happens if you bend or break there tools are the covered under warranty and what is there safety factor on the pressure vessel and does it have a lifetime warranty on the blades...... Sounds like a standered tool with different blade configuration a copy of a old hurst tools with more marketing lol the cure for the HSLa is the new "Beast" from Champion Rescue Tools www.championrescuetools.com the new beast will be the cutter of the future its the only cutter in the world that has safety check straps in the blades to prevent breakage the tool has a lifetime warranty on all parts except the whip hoses it makes over 284,000lbs of cutting force in the 4" notch patented blades and cutter design allow for safer operation for the user and the patent take a look at it i have used them at the Baja 1000 and they kicked azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cutaboverest
    the cure for the HSLa is the new "Beast" from Champion Rescue Tools www.championrescuetools.com the new beast will be the cutter of the future its the only cutter in the world that has safety check straps in the blades to prevent breakage the tool has a lifetime warranty on all parts except the whip hoses it makes over 284,000lbs of cutting force in the 4" notch patented blades and cutter design allow for safer operation for the user and the patent take a look at it i have used them at the Baja 1000 and they kicked azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Champion needs to update their webpage... the RC-5 is still the only cutter listed. A lot of the hyperlinks are dead also. I have tried out the tools and I am impressed with them. Their design is refreshing and I look forward to seeing this new cutter in action.
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 03-12-2006 at 12:13 AM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

Thumbs up Champion Sc-11

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMedic
    Champion needs to update their webpage... the RC-5 is still the only cutter listed. A lot of the hyperlinks are dead also. I have tried out the tools and I am impressed with them. Their design is refreshing and I look forward to seeing this new cutter in action.
    i agree with my brother (MetalMedic) the CHAMPION SC-11 has got to be the best "O" style cutter out there. although the web page lags ,the products they produce our outstanding. the SC-11 can be field changed in under 15 seconds and you can put 28 inch spreading arms on it.
    any champion users out there? who is the rep for OHIO?

take care brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jawsone
    who is the rep for OHIO?
    Here's your dealer:

Dominion Fire Services
    4058 Wise Drive
    Rootstown, Ohio 44272

330 325-1418 (Telephone)
    330 325-2574 (Fax)

I also notice that they have updated their website.. so check it out!

http://www.championrescuetools.com

They still need to fix some links... but it has improved from my last post.

This new cutter is a convertable --- what a novel idea!
    Last edited by MetalMedic; 03-24-2006 at 01:48 PM.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

Thread Information