Thread: Gator with AFG

Forum Member

Default Gator with AFG

Has anyone had any luck getting a Gator (or other similar brands) with the AFG? Looking to get one primarily for grass fires? Does anyone have any thoughts on benefits/drawbacks of tying this together in our narrative with rescue/EMS as we also have a fire department based rescue/ambulance service? Thanks for any feedback.

Forum Member

I have been trying to get one for a few years now and have gotten no where fast. I was hoping to get one and fabricate several differant beds for it. One for grass fires, one for Pt. care and transpertation, and the last just being the standard one to throw crap in. Thought we could use it for several differant departments. We also cover a state park that sees several hundred thousand visitors a year and we have a lot of rescue calls in the woods. Im not sure if AFG will help much I have been trying the US smokeless tobacco company. The give away Polaris rangers each year. But they seem to consentrate more on LE then fire EMS.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Supposedly a 'few' ATVs have snuck through the awards but not many. They are a lower priority in the program, so they were part of a larger project that overcame the low ATV score.

Forum Member

IAVOLFF:

I am in agreement of the aforementioned threads regarding the Gator. This is a Priority Three item in the Rural Vehicle Matrix for the AFG. In the past, there have been very few, if any, vehicles even awarded in Priority Two. Your best bet is one of the following options:

1) Go to www.ussmokeless.com and apply for a Polaris Ranger from the US Smokeless Tobacco Company. This is a competetive grant program. Two local fire departments around me have received this grant. This is not a very difficult application and you can plead your need through alternate sources of media (i.e.....videos, newspaper clippings, and other material relating to the grant). Your only out of pocket expense will be the trailer and modifications to the Ranger (i.e....light package, skid unit, backboards, etc...).

2) Your second option would be to apply for a Department of Natural Resources Volunteer Firefighters Assistance (VFA) Grant Program. This grant program is a 50/50 match program. In the past you could apply for up to a $19,000 or more project and they would match up to $9500 (half) of the $19,000 project. Note: You can apply for more than this, but the program will only reimburse you up to $9500. In this program you may apply for almost any basic firefighting or wildland equipment as well as Gators and Training Materials. This includes: PPE, SCBA, Hose, Nozzles, Gators, and other basic firefighting equipment. This program is state specific and usually is administered each spring and the monies are given in the fall. Check out your local state DNR website for more info.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com
    dinges88@hotmail.com

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Actually, ATVs are equipment, not vehicles. From the PG page 16:

Small boats (13 feet or less, without fixed fire pumps), jet-skis, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), and appropriate trailers may be considered under this activity if properly justified in the narrative section of the application. Other vehicles, as defined in the Interim Final Rule and published in the Federal Register, are not eligible under this activity but would be eligible under the Firefighting Vehicle Program.
    Polaris's program is over for now, but definitely bookmark the site and keep an eye out for the next round.

The Rural Fire Assistance Program www.nifc.gov/rfa is a max Fed Share of $20K with a 10% match required. The VFA www.fs.fed.us/fire/partners/vfa has a max Fed Share of $5K, 50% match.

Forum Member

BC79er-

You are correct in regards to ATV funding for the AFG, this is equipment and is not utilized in the vehicle acquisition category. That was a late night response at the firehouse and I did not verifiy it properly before posting.

In regards to the VFA program, this program varies state to state in the amount that will be awarded. On the VFA site, it says that most awards in the $5K range. In Illinois, the project may be up to $19K and 50% of that must be matched. In 2005, their guidance document was for programs up to $25K, but they backed off this amount due to the number of appicants. My partner and I have assisted many departments in our area with this grant and encourage departments to go for the maximum allotted amount due to the IDNR's local scoring system, which penalizes applicants for 1) Receiving monies in the past from this program (note: for each $5K you receive in funding, the IDNR takes an undetermined number of points away, I believe 10, from your current application) and 2) Receiving other federal funding the year prior to the application year.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

Didn't realize that each state could change the fed's rules. Makes a bit o' sense so that all of the dough doesn't end up in one particular spot, and that every department can at least get something if they make the effort.

Forum Member

Unfortunately each applying department does not receive a pie of the pie, but your odds are greatly increased. You have about a 40%-50% chance of receiving one of these awards.

Thread Information