Thread: GunnyV

MembersZone Subscriber

Default GunnyV

I just found out some of the changes for the Army firefighter MOS and they are some of the stupidest things I've heard so far.

Can you give a breakdown of how a Marine ARFF unit is deployed and staffed? Specifically what rank is the Fire Chief and the Commander - if those positions are in your strucuture? E-mail if you prefer.

Thanks
    SteveH
    Retired Curmudgeon

MembersZone Subscriber

Default comments

I would be interested in hearing about the changes. I have a few friends that are still in the Army firefighter MOS. They haven't gotten the commen sense yet to move to the Air Force....lol

Gunnyv, I am from Michigan and know at least a couple from the 1439th and 1440th.

Feel free to email me...... (bbreiler@yahoo.com)

MembersZone Subscriber

if the gunny doesnt mind i think i can answer this one-
    Marine ARFF Unit in a typical (larger airfield in iraq) situation

-Expeditionary airfield officer(Chief, in charge of ARFF+EAF Sections) CW02-
    CW03
    -NCOIC(Asst Chief) Master GySgt-Master Sgt
    -Crash Chief(Asst Chief) GySgt
    -2 Section leaders(Shift commanders) GySgt-SSgt
    -2 shifts of about 20-30 Marines

if it is a smaller FARP or base that is being covered it will usually be a detachment of about 5-6 Marines with a Sgt acting as NCOIC. This is just a general breakdown, it obviously can change mission depending, last time I deployed we had more Marines, and the upcoming deployments likely will have fewer ARFF Marines.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ANG FD Structure

here is how our 28+ dept is set up:

1 - MSGT/SMSGT/CMSGT Fire Chief
    1 - MSGT/SMSGT Deputy Fire Chief
    2 - MSGT/TSGT Assistant Chief (1 Operations/1 Readiness Training)
    4 - TSGT/SSGT Station Chiefs
    20 - AB/A1C/SrA/SSGT Firefighters/Drivers/Crew Chiefs

The Station Chiefs and Firefighters are broke down into 4 "crews". They will deploy as a team. The Assistant Chiefs and above can deploy as a team as well.

Of course all is based on your cert level, not just your rank.

Forum Member

The only things Crashcrew59 left out were the "Dayshops"-there will be Marines assigned to Training, Admin, and Trucks/Equipment maintenance as well.

The deployable ARFF guys are part of the MWSS-Marine Wing Support Squadron. The closest thing I can compare the MWSS to is the USAF Civil Engineer Squadron. The MWSS T/O totals about 700 Marines, everything you need to build and maintain an airfield, from engineers, cooks and MPs to ARFF and Fuels. T/O for ARFF is:

1 CWO-who is usually dual hatted as the Expeditionary Airfield Officer-EAF is another specialty that handles the runway matting, lights, and arresting gear. Warrant officers are selected from applicants who are Sgts or above w/ over 8 yrs service, and can demonstrate expertise in the MOS they are choosing. So, an ARFF/EAF officer had to be at least a Sgt with experience in one of those MOS's. If the new WO comes from EAF, he is supposed to attend Goodfellow. The CWOs are also supposed to become Fire Officer certified. The EAF function is probably 80% of their job, the ARFF NCOIC handles most of it.

54 Enlisted, including one ARFF mechanic. Something to note is that the USMC has not started requiring certs to match your job-yet. We are trying to catch everyone up on certs, but $ is a big problem.

Of course, the Corps is famous for "task organizing", which basically means augmenting your numbers-which are usually below T/O, BTW-by stealing bodies from everyone who isn't deploying, thereby ensuring you will do the same to them at a later time.

Equipment includes:
    5 P-19s
    1-3 FSS-HMMV mounted TAU
    2 HMMVs (out of the MWSS motor pool) for rescue/command vehicles
    1-3 sets of jaws
    1 set of airbags
    Whatever other rescue/EMS gear we can beg, borrow, or steal

I don't want to reprint the NAVAIRs here, but let me know if this helps or you need more info.

MembersZone Subscriber

That helps quite a bit Gunny and crash. Thanks. Found out that the Army wants to do away with the fire "HQ team" and just have small deployable teams with an E-6 in charge. There will be no positons for a fire chief, commander, inspector. I can see this as being very bad. If it were not for our commander and E-7 fire chief, we would have been walked on a lot-not to mention all the other problems with multiple teams at the same place working against each other without any C2. I'm not even back in yet, and my old unit is already trying to get me to push for an MTOE change. After all this, maybe I'll just stay retired.

Forum Member

-Where will these teams fall in on the chain of command-who will be their OIC or First Sgt? What type of unit will they be assigned to?
    -With no senior billets, what's the career path? Do you just go off to be a recruiter when you make E-7?
    -How do you maintain the expertise and experience in the job w/o senior leaders?
    -Who will be the MOS advocate for changes in TTPs, training, and policies? Who will set specifications for new equipment?

Without senior leaders to explain their job and stand up for them, the MOS will become nothing more than a working party for Senior NCOs who don't understand their job. I've seen that happen too many times.

MembersZone Subscriber

You, Gunny, are 100% correct. Since I am still technically a civilian, I am not privy to where this is coming from. Right now, it seems the highest rank you can now go as a firefighter in the Army will be E-6.

Thread Information