Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber MalahatTwo7's Avatar
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Default I've Figured This Would Only Happen In Canada

Wounded Soldier Charged For Damaged Body Armor

UPDATED: 8:32 am EST February 8, 2006

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A former U.S. soldier injured in Iraq says he was forced to pay $700 for a blood-soaked Kevlar vest that was destroyed after medics removed it to treat shrapnel wounds to his right arm.

First Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook IV, 25, of Charleston had to leave the Army because of his injuries. But before he could be discharged last week, he had to scrounge up cash from his buddies to pay for the body armor or face not being discharged for months -- all because a supply officer failed to document that the vest had been destroyed more than a year ago as a biohazard.

"I last saw the (body armor) when it was pulled off my bleeding body while I was being evacuated in a helicopter," Rebrook told The Charleston Gazette for Tuesday's edition. "They took it off me and burned it."

Rebrook's story spurred action Tuesday from U.S. Sens. Robert C. Byrd and Jay Rockefeller, both D-W.Va.

"I've been in touch with his family, and I've already written (Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld) to request that they immediately refund his money and review this horrendous policy," said Rockefeller, who is a member of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee. "I'm shocked that he has been treated this way by our military."

Byrd questioned Gen. Peter Schoomaker, chief of staff of the Army, on Tuesday during a Senate Armed Services Committee budget hearing in Washington.

"How can it be that the Defense Department, which is requesting $439 billion in this budget, has to resort to dunning a wounded soldier for $700 to replace a piece of body armor?" Byrd asked.

Schoomaker called Rebrook's story unusual and promised Byrd to "correct it if there's any truth to it."

Rockefeller said he first met Rebrook when he was an ROTC cadet at George Washington High School in Charleston and later nominated him to the U.S. Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., where he graduated with honors. Rebrook then spent four years on active duty, including six months in Iraq.

Rebrook's mother, Beckie Drumheler, said she was angry when she learned about the $700 bill. Soldiers who serve their country, those who put their lives on the line, deserve better, she said.

"He couldn't get out of the Army until he paid it and he had to pay cash," Drumheler said. "My son loved the Army and was proud of serving his country. For any soldier to be treated like this is outrageous."

Rebrook was standing in the turret of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle when a roadside bomb exploded Jan. 11, 2005. The explosion fractured his arm and severed an artery. A Black Hawk helicopter airlifted him to a combat support hospital in Baghdad. He was later flown to a hospital in Germany before being transferred to Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington.

His arm never completely recovered despite seven operations. He still has range of motion problems and pain.

After eight months at Fort Hood, Texas, he gathered up his gear to leave. Things went smoothly until officers asked him for his missing body armor. In the past, the Army allowed to soldiers to write memos, explaining the loss and destruction of gear but a new policy requires documentation from the field.

Rebrook said he tried to get a battalion commander to sign a waiver, but the officer declined. He was told he would have to supply statements from witnesses to verify the body armor was taken from him and burned.

"First Cavalry Division leadership is going to do everything to ensure this issue is brought to a conclusion that is both in line with procedures that apply to all its soldiers and in the best interest of our veterans who have served so proudly and honorably in Iraq," Lt. Col. Scott Bleichwehl, the division's spokesman at Fort Hood, told the Killeen (Texas) Daily Herald for Wednesday's edition.

Bleichwehl said soldiers are not held financially responsible for any equipment lost, damaged or destroyed in combat operations.

Rebrook's story has prompted donations from residents. A local radio station raised $700 within 90 minutes Tuesday, and one woman dropped off a $200 check by his mother's home, said Rebrook's stepfather, Charles Drumheler.

"I thought that was pretty nice that people care," Charles Drumheler said.

Rebrook's father, Ed Rebrook, a Charleston lawyer, said while the donations were appreciated, his son did not plan to accept them.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

MembersZone Subscriber

HEY!

We're more clever than that!

We had one who sued the army 'cause they sent him to war!!!

Sly

I also know about the incident in Edmonton about 4yrs ago where one guy got mad enough with the BOR that he drove his Toyota p/u through the side of the BOR Building. All because he had been to war and wasn't happy about it. (There is much more to the story than that....)
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

The rest of the story:

U.S. To Repay Soldier Billed For Body Armor

POSTED: 10:02 am EST February 9, 2006

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- A former soldier injured in Iraq is getting a refund after being forced to pay for his missing body armor vest, which medics destroyed because it was soaked with his blood, officials said Wednesday.

First Lt. William "Eddie" Rebrook IV, 25, had to leave the Army with a shrapnel injury to his arm. But before he could be discharged last week, he says he had to scrounge up cash from his buddies to pay $632 for the body armor and other gear he had lost.

Rebrook, who graduated from West Point with honors, said he was billed because a supply officer failed to document that the vest was destroyed as a biohazard. He said a battalion commander refused to sign a waiver for the vest, saying Rebrook would have to supply witness statements to verify the vest was taken from him and burned.

"When that vest was removed from my bleeding body in Iraq, it was no longer my responsibility," Rebrook said Wednesday.

Sen. Robert C. Byrd, D-W.Va., questioned Gen. Peter Schoomaker, chief of staff of the Army, on Tuesday during a Senate Armed Services Committee budget hearing, and on Wednesday an Army official said Rebrook would get refunds for the $510 vest and its contents, worth about $50.

Lt. Col. Scott Bleichwehl, spokesman for the First Cavalry Division at Fort Hood, Texas, said there have been at least 21 similar cases. "In all of those cases, not one soldier was held accountable for items lost in combat," he said.

Told of the refund, Rebrook said: "How kind of them." Malahat note: Ya no kidding eh?

He blamed the dispute on bureaucracy.

"It's the nature of the beast. ... I still love the Army, loved being a soldier and loved my unit. I'm not going to look back on my service with anything but pride," he said.

Rebrook was standing in the turret of a Bradley Fighting Vehicle when a roadside bomb exploded Jan. 11, 2005, fracturing his arm and severing an artery. He said he still has movement problems and pain, despite seven operations.

Previous Story:
    February 8, 2006: Wounded Soldier Charged For Damaged Body Armor

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press.

Typical unit supply screw up. They tried to say I did not turn in my bayonet after Desert Storm, not only tried to get me to pay for something I had turned in, but they also wanted to hold me on a theft of weapons charge.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

SIGH.. ya, I can't wait till it comes time to retire after my 25. I know that there is kit I was issued as a recruit that I am pretty sure I haven't seen since I joined my first unit. AND I KNOW they ain't gonna charge me the "going rate" at the time of issue either. Dang those $200.00 hammers eheheheheheehee.

Dennis,

This is specifically why the first people that anyone makes friends with when reporting to a new unit supply. A supply Sergeant can be your absolute best friend if you treat them right when out processing and you are a couple tent pegs short, or your shelter half is ripped.

Just another typical SNAFU from the world of the Admin Pogue.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I was always told there are THREE guys you want to get to know real well real early:

1) the guy who does the pay accounts
    2) the supply guy

AND THIRD

"Cookie", "Cheffie", "Soupy" or whatever nickname he/she happens to have!

Cuz ya just know that they each talk to the other, and if ya upset one, you've probably piddled in the cornflakes of all three.

Quote Originally Posted by DaSharkie
    Dennis,

This is specifically why the first people that anyone makes friends with when reporting to a new unit supply. A supply Sergeant can be your absolute best friend if you treat them right when out processing and you are a couple tent pegs short, or your shelter half is ripped.

Just another typical SNAFU from the world of the Admin Pogue.
    Does not matter when they have not crossed you off the list during turn in on the way home from the front....took two years for that SNAFU to catch up, the friends I had then were long gone, and the new friends(boots) did not have a clue to what had happaned at the time...tent pegs can be counted by twos if need be, but for good reasons, things classified as weapons can not be.

But yes, making friends with the guys in supply is the first order of business when ever reporting to a new unit.
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Let's see...if he paid $632 and he got reimbursed $560....what happened to the remaining $72 they owe the guy? (Are they charging our troops bio-hazard disposal costs now??? )

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    I was always told there are THREE guys you want to get to know real well real early:

1) the guy who does the pay accounts
    2) the supply guy

AND THIRD

"Cookie", "Cheffie", "Soupy" or whatever nickname he/she happens to have!

Cuz ya just know that they each talk to the other, and if ya upset one, you've probably piddled in the cornflakes of all three.
    If you are in a combat unit you need to be friend the armorer, if in a transport unit, befriend the raod master and mechanics, and any unit, be friend me, 'cause I would be puttting you through the gas chamber every six months!
    -Big Russ

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace
    If you are in a combat unit you need to be friend the armorer, if in a transport unit, befriend the raod master and mechanics, and any unit, be friend me, 'cause I would be puttting you through the gas chamber every six months!

GUILTY AS CHARGED! Although I think it was a good thing (mostly because they all hung out together) I spent most of my ground pounder time with the mechs. In the CF the Armourers, Tpt and Mechs all fall under one section, "Maintenance", so if you're in good with them your "Good" Maybe thats why I usually had one of the best running vehicles in the unit. But then I was never afraid to go down to the stables and do my own work too. Of course doing stuff like replacing trunions on the jeep suspension was a bit out of my league.

The cooks and pay master comes under the logistics geeks.

You NBC guys were sadistic pr!cks!!!!! You just loved throwing those pellets on the flame didn't you?

Especially when certain officers went through. You sort of cringe when you go through the chamber with anyone that has shinny stuff on their collars.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

My fav was during the first orientation. "Ok folks take your masks off and walk around a bit.....thats it.... now take a couple good deep breaths...." Then they would throw 3 or 4 more pellets on the fire.......

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    My fav was during the first orientation. "Ok folks take your masks off and walk around a bit.....thats it.... now take a couple good deep breaths...." Then they would throw 3 or 4 more pellets on the fire.......

You had the same bastard doin' yours as I did huh?

My SDI at Parris Island stood in front of people until they couldn't hold their breath any longer to make sure that they got a good dose of gas before they could rattle off the information we were required to.

Good times brother, good times.

You NBC guys were sadistic pr!cks!!!!! You just loved throwing those pellets on the flame didn't you?

Especially when certain officers went through. You sort of cringe when you go through the chamber with anyone that has shinny stuff on their collars.
    -Big Russ

Somehow, when it comes to military sadism..errr I mean training, it doesn't matter what the colour of the uniform, the language, the bangles or the fruit salad and spahgetti the drill staff wear, they all trained at the same School of Sadism eheheehehehee.

The only difference is, sometimes you can actually understand the words they are speaking LOL

About the only good thing I can say about the Gas Chamber is that it cleared my sinuses REALLY well. I could have done without trying to sing the Marine Corp Hymn while not breathing though.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Alas, another Marine to the boards. Semper Fi!

I agree with the clearing out of said sinuses. The trip to the chamber at Parris Island always seemed to coincide with the time where everyone in the platoon had the crud. One of DIs told us that those of us who were sick would feel great after the chamber and what do you know....He was right.

Alas, another Marine to the boards. Semper Fi!

I agree with the clearing out of said sinuses. The trip to the chamber at Parris Island always seemed to coincide with the time where everyone in the platoon had the crud. One of DIs told us that those of us who were sick would feel great after the chamber and what do you know....He was right.
    Semper Fi!

Ohhh yes, I remember the Chamber at Camp Pendleton by the Edson Range area, we hit the chamber then made the hike back to the barracks with snot dragging. I noticed that they conveniently sent us to the Chamber AFTER rifle quals.

PKFPD
    IACOJ and proud of it

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Thread Information