Forum Member

Default "Q" Siren controls

I'm currently on a purchasing committee, we are starting to Spec' our new HD Rescue Unit. We are going to put a Federal "Q" on this apparatus. We currently have two units with the "Q" siren on it. Those two units have the control (foot pedal) mounted on the floor board on the passenger and drivers side we have a few members that think this is a stupid spot for the control. I was wondering what other departments have done for mounting this control and what they like and dislike about that set up? Thank You!

Forum Member

Are your guys complaining because they are accidentally hitting the siren while driving routine? If so you can have the manufacturer wire the Q foot pedals so that they only work when the master warning light switch is on. This is what we did and it works perfectly.

We also have our horns on foot pedals and they are "live" all of the time. There are a few inadvertent hits, but we wanted them to always be available while driving in case some yahoo pulled out in front of us or such.

Just a question... Where would they like the switches mounted? If they aren't on the floorboard then you would have to use your hand to activate the siren. This would not be practical for the driver. Shouldn't both of his hands be on the steering wheel? I'm sure the officer would like to be able to have his hands free to flip through the map book or talk on the radio. I don't see where they are going here.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

I want to say I saw somewhere, they had foot pedals for the Q mounted on the door panel under the door handle on the passenger side, so I guess the officer would just push it with his hand

MembersZone Subscriber

We recently changed our specs so that only the officer controls the Q. This way the driver's only responsibility is to drive. The officer runs the Q and the radio and subsequently can hear when he's listening and be heard when he speaks. We installed an electronic siren operable for the driver when something has hit the fan and nobody's in the truck with them.

Forum Member

Our old Macks, Sutphens, etc. had a center siren button on the wheel as well as a floor switch. The air horn was ceiling mounted with an overhead chain/cable to open the valve.

We are a 100% E-ONE fleet now. The Q's and the air horns are all foot activated, and there are floor switches for both the driver and the officer on every unit.

Kevin
    Fire Lieutenant/E.M.T.
    IAFF Local 2339
    K of C 4th Degree
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    Member I.A.C.O.J.
    http://www.tfdfire.com/
    "Fir na tine"

Forum Member

On our front line piece, both the air horn and Q controls are on the officers floor and only the Q operates with the master switch on......................as others have said

on a side note, Kevin, I was a member of TFD's Reserve Program

MembersZone Subscriber

Default floor switches

Quote Originally Posted by rmiller818
    I want to say I saw somewhere, they had foot pedals for the Q mounted on the door panel under the door handle on the passenger side, so I guess the officer would just push it with his hand
    Dept I retired from... we mounted the "foot switch" (operated the air horn) that's designed for foot operation on the floor on the side of the eng dog box (Officer's side). It worked well, and was a lot easier to operate with your "hand" as opposed to trying to push the old black rubber button with a gloved finger. If the Officer really got PO'd at traffic he could beat it with his fist even and not hurt it. Them foot switches are pretty tough.

Take care, and be SAFE
    Bert

Forum Member

Default Q controls

We kept the floor switches on the driver side, because the driver does not where bunker boots, there is also a horn/siren switch for the steering wheel in case the floor switch breaks ( as it does). On the officer side we eliminated the floor switch and placed a push button control on a tether cord made by Ramsey. We did this for the main reason that on EMS runs when the officer places his bunkers in the cab they blocked the foot controls or kept resting on them.

Forum Member

Mount the switch, foot style, on the doghouse. Does not get hit by mistake when you are moving around in your seat and if you live in the colder parts of the country like I do they do not rust out from all the crap you bring in the cab on your boots in the winter. I have seen dozzens of floor switches less than a year old rusted solid due to the new chemicals we are puttning on the roads these days. Just my opinion and on the trucks I have set up this way most people like them. And yes, I'm a sales guy.

Forum Member

Does Federal Signal make a Q that will automatically cycle when it is on? It would be nice if it would wind up, then coast for say, 8 sec, then wind back up without having to opperate a foot switch. When you got to the scene you would turn off the switch to the Q and an electric brake would imediatly stop it.
    I would really like this, as operating the Q is just one more thing to remember and i have forgotten to "Wind it" back up.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    Does Federal Signal make a Q that will automatically cycle when it is on? It would be nice if it would wind up, then coast for say, 8 sec, then wind back up without having to opperate a foot switch. When you got to the scene you would turn off the switch to the Q and an electric brake would imediatly stop it.
    I would really like this, as operating the Q is just one more thing to remember and i have forgotten to "Wind it" back up.
    I don't see anything like this on FedSig's website. However, it would not be a complicated device to make. In fact, it has been on my list of things to make when I'm bored for quite some time. My version would have it's own panel with knobs to adjust the hold and coast time, a manual override, and a brake button. I should market it.

The electronic version of the Q has an auto-mode. It sounds like crap but it does exactly what you are thinking of. We have one and it is nice to have the siren be without any user intervention at all.

As for conventional controls, you can have whatever you want control it. It needs nothing more than a simple momentary switch. You can stick them anywhere you want.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Forum Member

Talking

Yes, some of our fire fighters accidently put there foot on the pedal and on our new apparatus I am recommending that it is switched through the master warning. Thank You for your help in this matter.

This space for rent
    Recently relocated to Baltimore County, MD

Nothing quite like a probie planting their foot on the Q at 2am on a scene while trying to retrieve something from the cab. Their expression is priceless
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53
    If they aren't on the floorboard then you would have to use your hand to activate the siren. This would not be practical for the driver. Shouldn't both of his hands be on the steering wheel? I'm sure the officer would like to be able to have his hands free to flip through the map book or talk on the radio. I don't see where they are going here.
    Story: once I was in our department's Rescue-2 Responding to an MVA on the local highway. now, this truck was built in the 70's and let me tell you, it is about the most unintelligent design I have ever seen. The cab only fits 2 people so all others have to ride in the Walk-in rescue body, and the switch for the Q is on the center console, the horn is on a pull cord. Try using horn, radio, and Q all at same time!!!!!
    Courage is not the abscence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear.

Forum Member

Go with the controls mounted on the center console and you will never regret it. On our '03 Sterling tanker the horn and Q switches are on the floor. If I had a nickel for every time they were hit by mistake I would be a very rich man. Also I can not tell how many times people would not even know they were doing it.
    Now, on our '05 HME engine I told 4 Guys to put the same floor switches on the center console next to the radio. They looked at me like I had 3 heads or something but after explaining the reasons why they understood. Driver also has a switch to activate the horn button on steering wheel for either air horns or the Q. This system has worked out perfectly and I would do again.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFDexplorer2
    Story: once I was in our department's Rescue-2 Responding to an MVA on the local highway. now, this truck was built in the 70's and let me tell you, it is about the most unintelligent design I have ever seen. The cab only fits 2 people so all others have to ride in the Walk-in rescue body, and the switch for the Q is on the center console, the horn is on a pull cord. Try using horn, radio, and Q all at same time!!!!!

Our rescue/Spec Ops truck is like that too. It is a 1979 GMC/Gertenslager. It is currently OOS w/ an electrical problem, but no matter what they throw at that thing, it just keeps on trucking. This is a fairly popular type of rescue around here. Personally I like custom cabs with non-walk ins. Or custom cabs w/ walk-in, it doesnt really matter.

IMHO, if I was desigining a piece of apparatus, the air horns would be on a pull chain and the Q on a floor switch.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Q Switch

We moved our switches off the floor because of corrosion caused by road salt in our area, officers switch is on the dog house near radio and the drivers has a switch that switches the Q to the steering wheel horn button

Thread Information