Forum Member

Default Wetside vs Dryside Tanker

Alright, so I'm not so fluent in the apparatus lingo area. I'm looking for some help here. We're specing tankers and I keep getting asked whether we want Wetside or Dryside. I have asked some of the vendors to explain it, but the answer I get usually just leads me back in a circle to where I started. I mean I obviously know that it has something to do with the water and the tank and how far out it goes to the fire body, etc. But truly, what is it, and which has the greater benefits?

MembersZone Subscriber

Wetside= tank exposed to the outside, no high side compartments, no walls.

Dryside= tank with body contructed around it, not exposed.

Because the there is little body work on the wetside they are usally cheaper.

Forum Member

Smile compare

Quote Originally Posted by Not2L84U2
    Alright, so I'm not so fluent in the apparatus lingo area. I'm looking for some help here. We're specing tankers and I keep getting asked whether we want Wetside or Dryside. I have asked some of the vendors to explain it, but the answer I get usually just leads me back in a circle to where I started. I mean I obviously know that it has something to do with the water and the tank and how far out it goes to the fire body, etc. But truly, what is it, and which has the greater benefits?
    Example of a wetside would be a stainless eliptical tank (like a milk truck) with no body covering up the tank, or a poly painted water tank with no compartments to cover it. Some companies make Water Tenders (Tankers) with Poly tanks, and will actually paint the poly tank job color...giving the illusion that the tank is actually part of the structure of the body. These are considered wet sides.

Example of a dryside would be a Poly tank, which cannot be seen due to body compartments which go full height (looks like a double high side pumper). Although, a dryside could also have low/low body compartments, with a wall that covers the actual tank extending to full height.

Some will say that the ellipitcal tanks provide a Lower Center of gravity, and a lower purchase cost (although I'm sure that isn't always true). I have heard

Others will say that drysides provide the possibility of hosebed on top of tank and extra compartments around the body.

Come to think of it, I think I once saw an elliptical with a hosebed on top!

If you're leaning towards ellipitcal, you will then have to consider if you prefer a stainless tank, or a Poly tank wrapped in stainless!

GOOD LUCK!

MembersZone Subscriber

Actualy a (milk tank) is not a wet side, it is insulated then wrapped with the polished stainless. A wet side tank will sweat on the outside.

Forum Member

I will also admit I had no idea about this either but did often wonder what the difference is ...........and NOW I KNOW !!!!
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

My avatar is an ALF dryside. Note the high compartments. 3000 gallon poly tank.

Thread Information