Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40
  1. #1
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21

    Default DCFD Paramedic/FF Process

    I recently applied for the position of Paramedic/FF with the DCFD and was given a written test date of February 17th. I was not given any other information as to what the hiring process will involve (except that it will take 6 weeks to get the written test results back). I am curious if anyone has any information on this subject such as length of process, steps involved, differences between this and the Firefighter/EMT process, how many they expect to hire, etc. any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.


  2. #2
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxD240808
    I recently applied for the position of Paramedic/FF with the DCFD and was given a written test date of February 17th. I was not given any other information as to what the hiring process will involve (except that it will take 6 weeks to get the written test results back). I am curious if anyone has any information on this subject such as length of process, steps involved, differences between this and the Firefighter/EMT process, how many they expect to hire, etc. any information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

    The written exam was made by "I/O Solutions".

    I would suggest contacting Don McNea Prepatory School to obtain a study guide.

    Call the recruiter. Captain Campbell has been a big help. Also try Mable Price at DC office of Personnel (220) 671-1830. That is who will be able to answer some of your questions.

    The written test was 100 questions. Started off w/ spelling and grammer. Alot of reading comprehension. Alot of math. Had some questions like:

    If a fire is 6.1 miles from your firehouse and the pumper can only go 35mph, what is the fastest time that you will arrive at the fire?

    They have been giving the Paramedic Firefighter exam 2x's a month.

    They have alot of medic vacancies.

    The physical is explained in the previous DC post.

    They gave the physical ever saturday in Januaray. I do not know Feb or March's schedule

    There are 2 classes in the academy currently. (20 weeks) (may be 16 for medics)

    Medic firefighters ride on Engines for the most part.

    Good luck.

  3. #3
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Hey Brianandgail Do You Know Anyhting About The Agility?

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Hey Eric, I think I met you at the written test on the 16th. Im the guy from Arlington. I found this posted somewhere:

    I took the test in '03. It is similar to the CPAT, but you get a TON of time to complete it (I think it was 21 minutes or something like that). You do the test wearing a turnout coat, gloves, helmet, and 02 tank. Here is what I remember about the events:
    1. You have to open and then close a hydrant. This was very easy.
    2. Go to a fire engine and take a ladder off the side and bring it over to the side of a tower. Place it against the tower, then bring it right back. The thing that makes this tricky is that you have to put it back so that the rungs go exactly where they were. I had to reposition it several times, which was annoying.
    3. Go to a prepositioned ladder and raise the fly section (just like the CPAT).
    4. Drag an uncharged hose about 50 feet (that's a guess as to the distance).
    5. Walk back to the tower and pick up a hose pack--it wasn't like a regular one that I had practiced with--this was about 50 lbs according to the proctor. Walk it to the top of the tower, drop it, then pick it up and bring it back down. This was the hardest part.
    6. Go to this weird machine that simulates pulling down a ceiling. Similar to the CPAT/FDNY, but the machine was different. 6 up, 6 down, twice.
    7. Go through the maze blindfolded. A lot smaller than the CPAT one, but with more obstacles if I'm not mistaken.
    8. Dummy drag, but this dummy was pretty light.
    Overall, I thought the test was really good, but the time allotted was a bit excessive. All the better for you!

    Also I got a call from DCFD asking me to come in on march 8th to turn in background investigation stuff. I imagine they will go over details of the rest of the process and let us ask questions. I asked about timeframes for hiring and he wasnt sure, but he also told me we wont have to interview, which I found weird but all the better for us. So if they havent called you, you might want to call them. Hope this is helpful, and Ill see you on the 4th.

  5. #5
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Eric,

    I see that you are from Cleveland. Where at? (I'm from Cleveland also)

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericjames131
    Hey Brianandgail Do You Know Anyhting About The Agility?
    Eric,

    The above reply is right on. They give you 21 minutes to do the test. It is pass/ fail.

    Has anybody else heard anything further about the process?
    Has anyone recieved the "Blue book" yet?

    Any info on the academy class that is going on now?

    Thanks guys.

  7. #7
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    15

    Default

    MaxD and briangail my name is zach i am using my buddies account for now...My account will be back soon.

    Max I was the kid who walked in after everyone was seated. I didn't talk to anyone, and was wearing a yankees hat.

    I was told that i will meet with Cpt. Kirkpatrick friday the 3rd at 9 am to recieve my blue book and do some running around. then take the agility the 4th with everyone else at 7am.

    About the process: recruitment told me this morning that after the background and agility, the scheduling is out of their hands. The psych and med are scheduled by when these agencies have time. Per the academy they do not have any dates yet but they will not wait for the entry firefighter/emt results to be processed. As long as they have 30 candidates they will start a rookie school.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Nation's Capital
    Posts
    187

    Default

    Please don't wear a hat to school, and show up early from now on.
    Best info I have is that the next class will be in late March-April. Make sure that you fill out your blue books completely and truthfully, and you can complete most of your 'errand running' in one day if you know your way around DC.
    What kind of info on RC342 are you looking for?

  9. #9
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericjames131
    MaxD and briangail my name is zach i am using my buddies account for now...My account will be back soon.

    Max I was the kid who walked in after everyone was seated. I didn't talk to anyone, and was wearing a yankees hat.

    I was told that i will meet with Cpt. Kirkpatrick friday the 3rd at 9 am to recieve my blue book and do some running around. then take the agility the 4th with everyone else at 7am.

    About the process: recruitment told me this morning that after the background and agility, the scheduling is out of their hands. The psych and med are scheduled by when these agencies have time. Per the academy they do not have any dates yet but they will not wait for the entry firefighter/emt results to be processed. As long as they have 30 candidates they will start a rookie school.
    Hey Zach,

    Do I understand you correctly, that you did not take the physical agility test yet?? But you are recieving the blue book prior to taking the test?

    Do you know what "Some running around" you have to do?

    Also, just a piece of advice for the physical. We too were scheduled for 7am. I was the last to take it and I left the academy at 12:30Pm.

    Are you from Cleveland, Ohio?
    Do you currently work as a medic? If so, where at?

    Well, good luck.
    -Brian

  10. #10
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Zach,
    ok I remember you now. The guy I was sitting next to was also from Cleveland. Like I said earlier I was asked to come in on the 8th for background info. Anyway, Ill see you on the 4th.

    DCFDCAR5-I was asked to bring in copies of my drivers license, ss card, High School Diploma, Birth Certificate, and a DMV driving record. Is there anything else I might need to bring?
    In regards to the agility test, I remember seeing in another post that there was also a 50 ft aerial ladder climb. Just looking for confirmation on this. Also, how long will recruit school be for paramedic/ff's? Thanks for any info you can provide.
    Last edited by MaxD240808; 02-28-2006 at 01:26 AM.

  11. #11
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    15

    Default

    brian,

    They told me since i am coming from out of town that he would meet with me and a few other guys while we were there.

    The running around explained to me was:
    FBI building to get fingure prints
    D.C. Motor vehicles to get your D.C.s driving record
    and one more building to get your D.C. criminal record

  12. #12
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    15

    Default

    DCFDCAR5 you make a valid point with not wearing a hat and arriving early, but Mapquest gave me a run for my money...A 15 minute ride from Alexandria turned into an hour and half ride, winding up at reagan international twice and capital drive once. I'm just glad I made it before the test started.

    DC is the most confusing city in the U.S. when not from the area.

  13. #13
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    "Best info I have is that the next class will be in late March-April. Make sure that you fill out your blue books completely and truthfully, and you can complete most of your 'errand running' in one day if you know your way around DC.
    What kind of info on RC342 are you looking for?"
    __________________
    Todd,

    A couple of questions for you:
    1. Why do you think that a class will begin in March/April???

    2. What exactly is the "blue book"? (Could you describe it?)

    3. What did you mean by "RC342"?

    Thank you very much.

  14. #14
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaxD240808
    Zach,
    ok I remember you now. The guy I was sitting next to was also from Cleveland. Like I said earlier I was asked to come in on the 8th for background info. Anyway, Ill see you on the 4th.

    DCFDCAR5-I was asked to bring in copies of my drivers license, ss card, High School Diploma, Birth Certificate, and a DMV driving record. Is there anything else I might need to bring?
    In regards to the agility test, I remember seeing in another post that there was also a 50 ft aerial ladder climb. Just looking for confirmation on this. Also, how long will recruit school be for paramedic/ff's? Thanks for any info you can provide.

    Yes, you will have to climb the aerial ladder set at about 60*, to a height of 50ft. (You'll wear a climbing harness) this event is NOT timed.

    I was told by the staff at the academy that the MEdic- Firemen will do a 16 week academy. (Not set in stone though)

    I just spoke w/ Captain Kirkpatrick today, he advised me to bring the same list of things that you mentioned, but also a criminal record from my local city.

    Well, good luck.

    Does anyone know how many MEdics are in the academy now?

  15. #15
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Are any of you guys currently working as Medics or Firemen in Cleveland (or suburbs)???

    Just wondering.

    Good luck to you all,

    Brian

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Nation's Capital
    Posts
    187

    Default

    brianandgail:
    1. There is a handful of FF/P recruits in the academy now. They are undergoing EMS protocol & departmental procedure familiarization, etc. They will likely then be sent out to work on EMS transport units until more recruits are hired to fill a class (RC343). (this is speculative, due to daily changes)
    2. A 'blue book', is a pile of background information forms that must be completed ASAP.
    3. RC342= Recruit Class #342, the current full (30 or so recruits) class that in session. A few posts ago, you asked "Any info on the academy class that is going on now?" What info would you consider helpful? I would not worry about what they are doing, per se. Every class is different.

    ericjames131:
    They usually ask you to bring a criminal and driving record from you home states, as well as DC. Also, you all should invest in an ADC map of DC. It costs less than $15, and you will need it more often than you know.
    Last edited by DCFDCAR5; 03-01-2006 at 11:02 PM.

  17. #17
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DCFDCAR5
    brianandgail:
    1. There is a handful of FF/P recruits in the academy now. They are undergoing EMS protocol & departmental procedure familiarization, etc. They will likely then be sent out to work on EMS transport units until more recruits are hired to fill a class (RC343). (this is speculative, due to daily changes)
    2. A 'blue book', is a pile of background information forms that must be completed ASAP.
    3. RC342= Recruit Class #342, the current full (30 or so recruits) class that in session. A few posts ago, you asked "Any info on the academy class that is going on now?" What info would you consider helpful? I would not worry about what they are doing, per se. Every class is different.

    ericjames131:
    They usually ask you to bring a criminal and driving record from you home states, as well as DC. Also, you all should invest in an ADC map of DC. It costs less than $15, and you will need it more often than you know.
    Todd,

    Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. The main thing that I wanted to know about the current Recruit Class the start date, so that I can anticipate a potential start date for the next class.

    -Brian.

  18. #18
    Forum Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Nation's Capital
    Posts
    187

    Default

    When the other class started has little bearing on when the next one will. They often run classes concurrently.

  19. #19
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Thanks Todd.

  20. #20
    MembersZone Subscriber
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ericjames131
    MaxD and briangail my name is zach i am using my buddies account for now...My account will be back soon.

    Max I was the kid who walked in after everyone was seated. I didn't talk to anyone, and was wearing a yankees hat.

    I was told that i will meet with Cpt. Kirkpatrick friday the 3rd at 9 am to recieve my blue book and do some running around. then take the agility the 4th with everyone else at 7am.

    About the process: recruitment told me this morning that after the background and agility, the scheduling is out of their hands. The psych and med are scheduled by when these agencies have time. Per the academy they do not have any dates yet but they will not wait for the entry firefighter/emt results to be processed. As long as they have 30 candidates they will start a rookie school.
    How did the physical go?

    How did the blue book stuff go??

    Thanks,
    Brian

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-14-2005, 07:10 PM
  2. Tulsa Fire Dept.
    By tulsahopeful in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 02:39 PM
  3. Psych Test
    By hickman1698 in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-13-2004, 02:41 PM
  4. Background and Psych!
    By CaptBob in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 09:40 AM
  5. How Honest are You?
    By CaptBob in forum Hiring & Employment Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts