Thread: Is this right??

Forum Member

Default Is this right??

I was on KME's website looking at thier recent deliverys and saw this truck. Is it possible to build a truck with all that on a single axle? It seems like an a lot of weight for a single axle. Or maybe it is a mis print. If its true that could knock down a lot of fire.

http://fire.kovatch.com/Default.aspx...D=500&tabid=40

Forum Member

http://fire.kovatch.com/Default.aspx...D=505&tabid=40

There's another one, but on a commercial chassis. You can do it, but I know I sure the hell wouldn't. The biggest in this area is 1500 on a single axle.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Also look at how much foam it has, and full height cabinets. If its true that rear axel must be screaming from being overweight.

Forum Member

I would like to hear the sales pitch for that. I bet they will be eating brakes for lunch with that thing.

Forum Member

It must be a 1,000 gal poly tank ?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    Also look at how much foam it has, and full height cabinets. If its true that rear axel must be screaming from being overweight.
    I saw the foam too. I was thinking it was probably an integral cell. But even so, doesn't foam concentrate weigh ALOT more then water?

All I can imagine, is that they are using one of the biggest axles available for the rear, and praying that they successfully designed a truck that will shift some of the weight to the front. It's KME though, they do the impossible, right?

The 1500 single rear here, has no compartments on them at all. It's essentially a chasis with a tank, and a couple lenghts of hose and some 3" on the back bumper with a portable pump.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Im sure they used a 31k rear axle. Usually tankers with a single rear axle will have the rear axle very close to the rear of the truck, this shifts much of the weight to the front axle. Even if they used a 19k front axle and a 31k rear axle it is still too much.

Remember though, they are trying to Keep Mechanics Employed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ledebuhr1
    Must be a hose bed also (at least it looks like a bed cover in the pic) so add the extra weight of supply line to the total. Just think about a 1000+ feet of LDH.

But is the total weight all that important anyway?
    [IMG]rock.jpg [/IMG]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information