Thread: Trying hard

Forum Member

Default Trying hard

I wasnt really sure where to put this but I figured here makes the most sense. I have been on EMT on the local Ambulance and rescue since 2002. In that time I have gotten to know the fire department pretty well. I have been interested in joining for the past several years but every time I talked to the chief about it he said that they wouldnt put anyone else on that was a member of the ambulance because on the scene I may have to respond with them instead of fire. Now to me this didnt make any sense. I figured that I could go where ever I was needed. people come before property in my book. Well since that time they have gotten a new chief. I have talked to him about it and he has encouraged me try. So I turned in my application. But since that time he has told me that he is unsure if they will be able to take me on. As far as the process to get on I file an application and it is presented to the entire group. Then I have to get up in front of the group and explane why I want to join and answear their questions. After that the group votes on each person and they take on the top 5 as members. So now that I have said all of that does anyone have any tips (short of paying off the entire department) to help me get voted on?

As far as my reasons for wanting to join. i have always wanted to be a fire fighter and I feel that my training in EMS and Rescue could be valuable. I also think that since I will be at the scene either I might as well be helping out not just standing next to an ambulance watching them get tired. I dont know if they are good reasons but they are the ones I have.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Canít help you much for the political gains. We donít subscribe to democratic hiring and promotions here. Best I can tell you would to be honest and be yourself.

Now, as far as being on both departments. We have had members that are on-call firefighters and on-call ambulance personnel. It didnít cause any problems here. There were times that we allowed the firefighters to leave a scene to assist the ambulance. We have a simple rule for multi-agency personnel. You stay with whichever unit or agency you responded with until the I/C tells you otherwise.

Remember this when you feel you are only watching them get tired. As medical personnel, you are there for them, fresh and ready should any of them become ill or injured. The last thing I want to do is hunt for the ambulance personnel with a firefighter down.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

We have several people on our dept. that our on both fire and ems and police. It does tend to get complicated when you have to respond to more than one call so you should really tell your chief where your priorities lie.

Now if your on a house fire scene and you get an ems call and your idea is "people are more important than property" than you may have a problem. Saving people is the most important thing but think of it like this. What if there are two kids traped in the house and your on the hose? You just need to think about the most important things.

Forum Member

We have several members now that are on both services and the New Chief understands that people come first. As far as being on scene we would never pull and ambulance off of a fire call to respond to another call. We would call for our other truck and if thats out of service call a truck from another town. Its our policy that we never leave the fire dept. alone on a fire call. Thanks for the help you guys have offered. I hope that I can get on.

Forum Member

I think the advise given by TriTownship600 is the best stand you can take when you appear before the membership. When you are called to a fire, you are a firefighter until the incident is completed. If you are called to an EMS call, you are EMS until it is completed. If both services arrive on the same scene, you are responsible to the one that you responded with, unless you are released by your OIC to assist the other department. That way, there is no question as to who you are responding with and therefore no cause for you to respond with the other. As long as you can convince them that you will be loyal to them when they have you, there should be no reason to not put you on.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Thread Information