MembersZone Subscriber

I am not sure about those programs out there, but in the past, our interviews were 10 questions and 20 minutes to answer them. Most questions are not geared toward fire related stuff, but are meant to allow you to use life experiences in general to apply to each question. Problem solving, community service, independent action/self starter, decision making process, dependability, working with others/diversity. Remember for the orals, if you don't say it, you haven't done it. In other words, don't be afraid to repeat yourself if necessary. And just because you may be a firefighter now, don't assume they know you are an emt, paramedic, rescue tech., etc.

MembersZone Subscriber

Any idea what kind of numbers applied, total number, percentages of demographics??

MembersZone Subscriber

2500 filled out pre-applications, but of those, only about 1500 actually signed up to take the written test. About 1250 will drag themselves out of bed to make it to the written on Saturday. As far as male/female/black/white etc., I do not know the numbers.

Forum Member

How did everybody do on the written this morning? Was there more than one test date? It didn't seem like there were nearly 1200 testers. I think I scored pretty well. I guess we'll have to wait and see. Do they rank candidates after the written, or will they wait for the entire process to be completed?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Army

My quetion is this i am currently deployed to iraq. Is there any way i can apply when i get home or now. i finish my tour in july. i have some fire experience. just wanna know if i have enough time to apply.

MembersZone Subscriber

FM515, There were 3 test sites to accomodate everyone that signed up. I will work on getting a final number of testers and post it here.

SGTOchoa, You can fill out a pre application which is used to keep your name on file until the next testing process is started. You have to keep your information on file with the department in order to be notified of the next process. I would not anticipate IFD begining another process for about 1.5-2 years since the written test just took place last Saturday. They want one class by the end of this year and another midway through next.

Pre app. here

http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DPS/IFD/home.htm
    Last edited by IFDFFENG20; 05-17-2006 at 12:09 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default not working

hello. well i cant seem to get the web site to work is there any other advice or help you can give me. i will keep trying to get on the site. thanks

Forum Member

http://www.indygov.org/eGov/City/DPS/IFD/home.htm

Click on IFD application and you can fill it out online.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default anybody hear anything?

just wondering if anyone has heard anything since the written, it's awful quiet. what happens now?

MembersZone Subscriber

Interviews are coming up in early June. Expect something soon regarding results from the written test. Chief wants 2 classes of 40-50 each by mid 2007. Word is just over 1,000 took the written test. More to come later.

Forum Member

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20
    Interviews are coming up in early June. Expect something soon regarding results from the written test. Chief wants 2 classes of 40-50 each by mid 2007. Word is just over 1,000 took the written test. More to come later.
    Thanks for the info. I like the sound of 40-50 each by mid 2007!

Forum Member

Has anyone received any results from the test yet?

Forum Member

Default # of Interviewed Applicants?

Does anyone know approximately how many applicants move on to the interview phase? My results came today, no score, just interview time,date and location information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Got my results today also, no score just date and time of interview. What kind of questions can we expect in the oral interview? Also does IFD have a list with people being ranked 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or do they have a lottery of people that passed everything and they just pick who they want.

MembersZone Subscriber

The types of questions can be found in previous posts. Assuming they use the same format as in the past processes. The interview will make or break you though. All interviews are on the same day! I don't know cut off scores for the written, but I'm sure they are decided in order to get their "numbers". Anyway, the interviews are where you have to score high in order to be considered for the job. They are scored highest to lowest. Don't forget to start working out for the CPAT now! More to come later.

MembersZone Subscriber

What do you mean (in order to get there numbers)
    Last edited by firefightermfd1; 05-27-2006 at 11:16 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Take what you want from that statement, but if you've ever taken a test for a large metropolitan department you know that most have quotas when it comes to minority hiring. It's not a slam against minorities, it's a slam on the system. End of discussion. This is not the place to discuss the rights or wrongs of hiring practices in the fire service.

MembersZone Subscriber

I understand, thank you

So not everyone that passed will get an interview, the way they do it is like if you got an 85% or higher you get an interview and below 85% you dont get an interview even though a 70% is passing. P.S IFD is the first big city test I have taken.

Also is there any particular way they schedule the interviews higher scores in the morning lower in the afternoon, is it random, or by last name?
    Last edited by firefightermfd1; 05-28-2006 at 03:50 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

From what I know in the past, everyone who scores higher than the cutoff score ( whatever it is) will be given an interview. The interviews are all scheduled for the same day. There will be approx. 25 interviews at a time throughout the course of the day. It will be a long day and I don't know how much time they are blocking out for each group of 25. Generally, interviews are done by last name, but this might be different since they are pushing everyone through in one day. Remember to dress appropriately (jacket and tie minimum, suit preferably)

MembersZone Subscriber

Are you saying they do group interviews, all 25 at the same time. Those are the hardest because they will ask 1 question and have more than one person answer the same question, and my answer is always taken before they get to me. I am still OK with that

MembersZone Subscriber

NO NO NO, There will be 25 interview boards consisting of 3 firefighters of different ranks located in 25 different locations within the interview site. It is just you and them, and maybe some type of recording device. Usually you are given about 20 minutes to answer 10 questions. I don't know if that is the case this time, but it has been in the past.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20
    The oral(s) are questions that have "anchors" for answers. I will get into that more when the time comes. You do not have to pay to take the CPAT, but I would start preparing now. I don't care how good of shape you are in, or how many times you have done it, people will fail due to lack of preparation. Work your legs like crazy, and shoulders and arms too. If you have a step mill or a weighted vest, use them while training. More to come as the process progresses.
    more about these "anchors" please

MembersZone Subscriber

Anchors are key points to hit on during the interview. Anchors are ranked HIGH, MIDDLE, and LOW.
    High anchors are when you answer the question with various points but also elaborate on those points and personalize the answers as to how they relate to your past experiences.

Middle anchors are when you might answer the question with a couple of points but don't elaborate at all on those points or give general explainations without personalizing the experiences.

Low anchors are when you give one word answers, no answers, dodge the question, or cannot provide any backround to your answer.

The keys to this type of interview are to be able to talk about yourself and your experiences and be able to relate them to different questions during the interview.

Certain questions want you to go through a process like solving a problem or making an important life decision. There are steps that need to be shown in your answer of how you got from point A to point F.

Some questions want you to show that you have done something in your life besides take up space on your parents couch. (Community service, volunteer work,college, military,training, work experience, etc.)

Some questions want to see how well you get along with others (race, gender,religion) Or how you would go about working out an issue with someone different than yourself.

Basically what I'm stressing here is if you say something, back it up with an example from your life experiences. If you say you are dependable, show it in a short narrative as you answer the question. Also, do not be afraid to repeat yourself if the answer applies to another question during the interview and remember that if you do not say something, it never happened. So don't assume that because you are a volunteer firefighter means the interviewers know that you are also a medic, emt, diver etc.

Sorry for the length here, but this is something that usually takes a couple of hours to cover in person. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

oh, no problem with too much info, i'm eating all this up. Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

how much do you think being a paramedic, and working for Detroit Fire Dept. EMS would help???

Thread Information