MembersZone Subscriber

Make sure you mention it at the appropriate times during the interview and maybe use some of your experiences to assist you in answering the questions. Remember though, they are looking for well-rounded candidates, so be able to use other life experiences aside from those in your current line of work.

MembersZone Subscriber

got it, thanks a bunch.

MembersZone Subscriber

any idea on how many will be interviewing???

MembersZone Subscriber

Probably 25 people per half-hour x 8 or 9 hours. 400+ I would guess.

Forum Member

Default Washington Township

Any one on here have any clues as to the # of hires for Washington Township?

MembersZone Subscriber

Big changes happening with IFD and Washington Twsp. Stay tuned in the next few weeks. There might not be a Washington Twsp. fire department (so to speak) by the time the hiring list comes out.

Forum Member

IFDFFENG20,

I have been preparing for the oral board next week. I don't have a lot of info on Washington Township. Their website has minimal info. Will I offend the Washington Township people on the oral boards if most of my answers are geared towards Indianapolis?

Also, I want to personally thank you for providing us with your inside information.

Any idea how soon the CPAT is? What is involved in the CPAT mentoring that the department is doing?

Thanks in advance.

MembersZone Subscriber

There will probably not be department specific questions on the test. The answers should come from your life experiences. I am guessing on this, but I think some oral boards will consist of a mix of IFD and WTFD personel. One list will be generated for both departments to hire from. (I don't know how they decide who picks which candidates from the list.) Like I mentioned previously, all of the new hires might be working for IFD in the near future if consolidation of the two departments goes through as is rumored.

As far as CPAT is concerned, I would expect it to take place sometime in July. I don't know what the mentoring is, but there are usually practice sessions prior to the testing. My advice is to go to one practice session to familiarize yourself with the test objectives. Also, if you aren't working out now, get started.

Forum Member

Default CPAT Practice

On the oral borad information sheet they sent you in the mail, in smaller font at the bottom is information on CPAT practice sessions, times, dates, etc ....

Forum Member

Default Question about interviews

I am in the army and am scheduled for an interview this Saturday. I was planning on traveling to make it to the interview; however, I have just received orders to work on that day. Does IFD make any accomodations for the military at all, or am I just out of luck?

BTW, thanks for all of the tips and information posted on here. It has been very helpful!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by armyhondaguy
    I am in the army and am scheduled for an interview this Saturday. I was planning on traveling to make it to the interview; however, I have just received orders to work on that day. Does IFD make any accomodations for the military at all, or am I just out of luck?

BTW, thanks for all of the tips and information posted on here. It has been very helpful!
    Sorry about your luck. Your best bet is to call IFD and explain the situation. It sounds like they're doing all of the interviews on Saturday. I did read on one of the information sheets that there will be no reschedules for any portion of the process, no exceptions. It sure doesn't hurt to try though. Good luck.

MembersZone Subscriber

They will not grant you another chance at an interview during this process. There is a reason and I'm sure you understand. My advice would be to talk to someone in your unit about switching your shift with someone to get the time off. Good luck and thanks for serving our country.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default how many move on?

anyone hear how many will move on from the interview to the cpat? i heard they did 662 interviews yesterday. wow.

Forum Member

I have no idea seeing how my interview was at 8:30 and thanks to mapquest I didnt find the place until 9:10. Better luck next time.

Forum Member

IFDFFENG20,
    I understand that the CPAT is pass/fail. Does the oral interview count as 100% of the final score, or will they take into account the written test scores?

MembersZone Subscriber

I think it will be a cumulative score that includes the written and interview. Even though the CPAT is pass/fail, I would still give it 100% when you go through. I think it scheduled for sometime in July. I don't know how many will move on, but I will post it when I find out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IFDFFENG20
    I think it will be a cumulative score that includes the written and interview. Even though the CPAT is pass/fail, I would still give it 100% when you go through. I think it scheduled for sometime in July. I don't know how many will move on, but I will post it when I find out.
    That's good news. I doubt I scored a 100% percent on that interview. I felt like I had good answers with some backing, but didn't elaborate enough. I think I was out of there in 6-7 minutes. I'll be thrilled if I get an invitation to the CPAT. Thanks for the info.

MembersZone Subscriber

Out of the 25 or so interviews our board did that day, there were only about 4-5 that we really thought did extremely well. Nerves played a big role in how everyone performed. Also, the candidates just did not talk enough about themselves and missed prime opportunities on the first two questions. The average time was about 6 minutes (out of 15 allowed) for the candidates to answer 7 questions.

Forum Member

IFDFFENG20,

Without discussing specific questions, my impression was that there were about 3-4 questions where I could really give an answere where it related to my past history/experience. The other 3-4 questions I couldn't really give details of a past experience. I felt that I offered good answers to those but feel uneasy about them because I didn't find an oppertunity to discuss my self. Like I said, there were 3-4 questions where I could really do that. Is this right or did I miss some oppertunities?

MembersZone Subscriber

Some of the questions (1 & 2) were definite chances to talk about your personal characteristics and also your accomplishments and past history. You could have repeated parts of #1 for your answer to #2.
    Another was a problem solving question that required you to go through a series of steps to come to a conclusion. You could have used a life experience there too.
    One was about rules. There were multiple answers to this that you could take from your past to explain the need for rules.
    One was a conflict question that had several ways to resolve the situation. Once again, a past experience could guide you here.
    One had to do with workload. This was a process question where you needed to follow steps to show how you deal with the situation described.
    Finally the harassment question. Hopefully you didn't answer from experience, but it could be answered using common sense and knowledge from previous job training or classes. Hope this helped.

In most of my boards' interviews, people only answered questions using two or three strong points. Our score sheets had 7+ possible strong answers that could be used, plus if we liked something that was not on the score sheet, we could score it. Only one person out of about 25 we interviewed used the full 20 minutes. They key is to keep talking or at least ask for a question repeat to get you back on track.

Forum Member

Do you know if they have anything set up for Active Duty Military that would like to test but cant get to indy due to military obligation? I will be getting out soon and Im from the area originally but there is no way they will let me take leave right now because we are at minimum manning for the department due to deployments.

Thank you

MembersZone Subscriber

There is not anything set up for the situation you are in now. My advice would be to wait til you get out then contact IFD HQ about filling out an interest card to take the next written test in a couple of years. Also, start testing with other area departments when you get back. Any education you can pick up along the way (EMT, Fire Science classes, College) is helpful to get hired. Good luck.

Forum Member

IFDFFENG20,
    What's the latest on changes in WTFD. Are they still discussing a merger? Also, any word yet on how many will be taking the CPAT?

MembersZone Subscriber

All indications say it is a go to merge with Washington Twsp. There was a news conference on Wednesday and as long as the Twsp. Board approves it (meeting was last night) and the City/County Council gives it a go ahead, we will begin the merger process. They want it to be in place by Jan. 07. I don't know how many will move on to the CPAT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Anyone know when they will be mailing out the letters to let you know if you have made it on to CPAT? I thought they said about two weeks!

Thread Information