+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Indianapolis Fire Department Hiring

INDIANAPOLIS FIRE &
    WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENTS

The Indianapolis Fire and Washington Township Fire Departments are currently accepting applications for persons interested in a career in firefighting. Starting salary is $36,000 and will increase to $50,000 in the 3rd year. Benefits include paid vacation, health insurance and pension plan. New recruits receive 22 weeks of paid fire science and emergency medical instruction.

To apply you must be between 21- 35 yrs of age, possess a high school diploma, have no felony conviction and be a US Citizen (Washington Township Only). You must possess a valid driver's license. Upon your appointment, you must reside in Marion County or a surrounding county. Applications will be accepted February 6-28, 2006 via our Application line at (317)327-6814, our Web Site; www.Indygov.org/ IFD or in person at the Indianapolis Fire Department Headquarters, 555 N. New Jersey St. between 9:00AM - 4:00 PM, Mon-Fri. Also there will be a Open Forum held Feb 25th, 10am-11am & Feb 27th, 6pm-7pm at the above address. The Indianapolis Fire and Washington Township Fire Departments are both Equal Opportunity Employers.

Post questions here, I will try to answer them.

Forum Member

Default Indy test

Thanks for the info. How many firefighters do you think your department and Washington Township plan on hiring? What is the testing process like? Thanks.
    Last edited by fire345; 02-12-2006 at 11:32 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is hard to say how many. A class of 35 starts tomorrow. It is the second class from a list, which will be the end of the list. I think they want to get a new list to hire from when we begin to lose firefighters to retirement at the end of this year and the end of 2007. Most classes for IFD are between 25-35 recruits. I don't know about WTFD's anticipated hiring numbers. The testing is usually a written general knowledge exam. A couple of interviews during different stages, a CPAT, and then a medical/psychological if you make it far enough.

Forum Member

Im having trouble finding the online application. I went to jobs but found nothing for firefighter.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Ifd

I did the over the phone stuff a month or so ago. I haven't been informed of anything via mail or email. I currently live in Cleveland, Ohio. Any ideas how i know I will be involved in the testing process?

MembersZone Subscriber

Check the website Monday Feb. 13th and see if it is posted. If not, do it on the phone or go down in person. This is a pre application and anyone who signed up after the last test was given should be in the database to be notified of the upcoming signup. If you are in doubt, sign up again or call and find out if you are in the files to be notified. Anyone not signing up during this time period will not be allowed to register for the test. You will, at some point in the near future, be required to come to HQ and physically prove your identity and then sign up to take the written test. Make sure your driver's licsense is up to date.

MembersZone Subscriber

The link for the signup for the hiring process is now working.
    www.indygov.org/ifd look at the top blue bar for the application link.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info about the application. What will they do with this now? Mail info to me? Any ideas when testing begins or when they will even begin hiring? Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

You will be notified of a day(s) to come to HQ or some other location to prove your identity and pickup information on the testing. The dates for testing are up in the air still. I am not sure about how many or when hiring would take place. 35 just started recruit class this week.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default IFD Test

What is the IFD hiring process?
    Do they do pre-employment polygraph tests?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default advice?

Question: What are the odds a guy who gets hired at IFD could find himself laid off after a year or so? I am 34 and cannot afford to leave my current job for another only to be laid off and too old to work somewhere else. is this concern unfounded?

MembersZone Subscriber

BFD, We are losing so many to retirement in the next 2 years that it would be hard to justify layoffs. IFD has never laid anyone off. We were just given back 44 positions on our manning table that we lost 3 months ago. There were a couple of closings of apparatus, but no layoffs. We will go back to 751 firefighters by the end of 2007. We are at about 735 now including the new recruit class. It can't hurt to at least try and then make a decision once you are offered a job. Good luck.

FFMFD, The process is a written test, 2 interviews, CPAT, medical/ psychological. No polygraph. 9 people who were to be in the current recruit class failed their psychological portion of the process for one reason or another.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default for ifdffeng20

any idea what ft. wayne does for salary compared to indy? also, do you know anything about the ft. wayne dept.? thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Ft. Wayne is a smaller department, but growing. I would think their salary is somewhat close to ours, but can't say for sure. We are busier too, as far as fires and total runs. I assume you have tried thier website. http://www.fwfd.org/. ALso, look for their union website http://www.iaff124.org/ . Look under Contracts on the left side of the page. Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

I just looked at their numbers for 2005. They are well below us in pay for certain ranks.
    IFD Batt. Chiefs: $68,000 FWFD $55,000
    IFD Captains: $61,000 FWFD $48,000
    IFD Lieutenants $56,000 FWFD $45,000
    IFD FF(3yrs+) $50,000 FWFD $ 42,000
    IFD Prob. FF $36,000 FWFD $38,000

These are just base pays for both departments. Their are other factors that boost the pay. We have a Kelly day also, which I don't know if they have that.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default thanks

thanks for all the info...i just took the written with them, and i plan on testing with indy as soon as possible...hopefully here shortly---maybe one or both will be possibilities

MembersZone Subscriber

Default what next

yea so I filled out the little request form, what happens next. do I get an application in the mail or do I have to go to the HR dept. or what???

MembersZone Subscriber

CFerd20,
    I just got my notice in the mail that we have to stop by headquarters sometime here in the middle of march to fill out some paperwork. you should have yours shortly

Forum Member

That really stinks! It's a 5 hour drive one way for me. All just to fill out paper work!

MembersZone Subscriber

There will be people coming from even farther than 5 hours. We have had people get hired from various parts of the country in the past few years. Most lived withing 3 hours, but some had to fly to the various parts of the testing process. Remember, don't be late for any part of the testing, it will eliminate you for sure.

MembersZone Subscriber

ya, i'm coming from detroit, so like 4 hours for me. I got friends down in Indy though.

Forum Member

Is there any chance IFD will hire anymore from the current list?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default still apply?

Is Indy still taking aps?
    I just went to their website and saw the link still up for the application. An earlier post said you could only apply up to feb 28th, does anyone know if they are still taking aps?

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not too sure, but I still havne't recieved anything in the mail.

MembersZone Subscriber

CFerd20...did you take the Fort Wayne test?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... Last

Thread Information