Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: newb

Forum Member

Default newb

hi all, i started with a volly company here back in october. i really love the work. i have my is-700, and start fire 1 next week. what are some good pointers to getting hired? my job situation isnt so great these days and i would love to make the transition.

You have to keep your eyes and ears open for upcoming exams... nobody is going to hand you an invitation to test!

If you are in good physical condition, maintain it and work on core strengthening. If not, get yourself into the gym and work on it.

You also need to do cardio work. Get a copy of the CPAT requirements and work towards passing them.

Having your IS-700 or Firefighter 1 isn't going to amount to a hill of beans, as a career FD will put you through their fire academy.

Nothing ****es off an instructor who hears the words " in my former Department we were taught to" or "we did things this way..."

You are at the Academy to learn their way of doing things... their SOP's/SOG's, etc. What you did in your volunteer FD may have been wrong to start with!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information