Thread: New Tanker

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Tanker

We are looking at getting a new tanker to replace our '66 Pete that was converted from a log truck, no one is sure when!
    We are at Midwest Fire Equipment out of MN. We are interested in their Fiber/Steel tank: Fiberglassed on the inside of the steel tank, probably a notched 3500 gal tank with a 750 pto pump. The fiber/steel tank is cheaper than the stainless, and would be easier to fix later down the road ( lots of people do fiberglass work on their boats around here).
    Any insight into Midwest Fire and/ or the fiber/steel tank would be appreciated!

MembersZone Subscriber

Midwest does good work, a neighboring dept. just took deliever of one of there tankers, and has been happy so far, at least i haven't heard any complaints yet. Check out BG fire, bgfire.com. they build nice trucks also.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default tanker

don't know much about the company, however i do know a dept. to the north of us just got one from them they do nice work. i would look into csi out of northern michigan, we don't have any from them but they build some of the nicest tankers i have seen. csiea.com;
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

MembersZone Subscriber

Exclamation

I personally like poly, they come with lifetime warranty, call Len Heling @ elite fire apparatus in WI, their building their own poly tanks now- 715-787-4448

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

bdaenterprises...

Hmmmm, you tatctics seems familiar...kind of like Firefighter807 who appeared in almost every fire apparatus post saying buy a Pierce.

So what do you do for Elite? Work at the factory? Salesman? What?

Honestly guys like you lose credibility when it comes to talking about fire apparatus because it becomes obvious damn quick that your comments are motivated by more than a simple interest to help people make a good decision.

FyredUp

Forum Member

You may want to look at US Tanker which I believe uses a poly tank with S.S. wrap or S & S which I think you some sort of fiber / composite material and S.S. wrap.

Just a thought

MembersZone Subscriber

When getting real large with the water tanks, poly can have some disadvantages. Fiberglass has some things going for it when you go for big water. If you're serious about the options, I would look into the pros and cons of both poly and fiberglass tanks.

I think poly will give the original owner a lifetime warranty. At least one fiberglass tank builder gives a lifetime transferable warranty. I'd urge you to contact both types of tank builders and make the decision for yourself.

Forum Member

Pray tell what 801? We run poly tanks over some of the roughest territory in the country,run pretty good size tanks,3000+ and have experienced no issues in the depts I have contact with.And understand I have no issues with fiberglass,I just would like to know why you made that statement.We've had fiberglass tanks in the past and had more issues with them than we do the poly.And these were an older generation of fiberglass,like so many things technology changes.All of my units are specced poly,UPF tanks out of Andover,Mass.Good company,good product. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

This is something I've heard second hand. I "heard" (such a dangerous statement, now that I'm saying it, I'm sorry) of at least a couple of departments that had issues with their poly tank when sized real large. Don't get me wrong, the poly folks were there right away to fix it, and I don't know the details surrounding this. This is more or less why I stated that whomever is looking kind of research this for themselves, and be edumacated (yes, I'm trying to be funny) about what they're buying.

Don't get me wrong, we've got four poly units in service, no trouble whatsoever. This could be an issue with chassis flex of a given chassis, etc. - not just a poly issue. Just passing along something I heard.

I think we're both on the same level - whatever you want to put in, you'll 99.9% likely not to have any issues with it. I'll contact the guy I heard the poly issues from and see if I can get some more details.

I feel like I've slighted UPF and poly tanks in general, which I didn't try to do.

Forum Member

The consensus of the folks I know is that almost all of the issues with EITHER tank type is caused by not following mfg's recommended mounting procedure or not using enough supports.I'm always up for learning something;in fact,I consider it a wasted day if I don't.But I WILL agree that the bigger the tank,the bigger the potential for problems. T.C.

Thread Information