MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Rehab Experiences

WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES WITH REHABS/PHYSICAL THERAPY CLINICS. DO THEY MEET OUR NEEDS? ARE THEY COOKIE CUTTER APPROACHES? DO THEY LOOK AT THE WHOLE BODY OR FOCUS ON AN INJURED JOINT? DO THEY UNDERSTAND OUR JOBS AND WHAT IT TAKES TO COME BACK SAFELY?

wHAT ARE THE MOST COMMON INJURIES? wHAT ARE RE-INJURY RATES?

Forum Member

One thing I have learned being in the fitness industry for over 15 years. Rehab is only good until your insurance runs out! Most clinics objective is to eliminate pain and to get some mobility as well as some strength. AGAIN SOME MOBILITY AND SOME STRENGTH. Not all rehabs are cookie cutter but its kind of trying to find a good mechanic. The real issue is not the rehab clinics, it is what to do after the rehab. Most injures if it is a joint related, re-injure because lack of strenght conditioning during the period after rehab. WHAT CAUSES THE INJURY IS THE CURE OF THE INJURY. This means if you hurt your lower back from picking up equipment, then you must after or during rehab simulate the same motion. It sounds weird but the amount of firefighters that I have seen exprience the same results without re-injuring the specific area. It's called PROGRESSION. I hope this helps.

MembersZone Subscriber

Angry same boat

Here at PF&R have the same problem. We have a "shot gun" approach to fixing our FF's. We don't have a recommended network of MD's and rehab facilities that we know are good and then the rehab to fitness gap is huge. PT's for the most part ( in my humble opinion) are geared to do exactly what you described, then the FF is d/c'd and left to his devices to get him/herself back to work. The issue arises that when there is an injury the body compensates just to function day to day. These compensations that were the genesis for the injury, can turn into further injuries if not addressed. Traditional training mentalities aren't geared to address these issues. Jumping back into weights too soon is an invitation to reinjury.

Forum Member

Talking Don't worry, continue to do on what you feel is right.

I think most injuries for FF are from deceleration and rotation. Either bending over to help a patient, stepping into the rig or twisting their body in the rig can put alot of stress to joints and ligaments. There is an article that I just finished that I will summit to firehouse.com. Keep your eyes open. This explains alot about training methology today compared the past.

Thread Information