Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Anyone had any major problems with Pierce?

We have a 2005 Pierce Enforcer, and like all trucks we have had a few issues, but there is one that we are having a major issue with. According to Pierce's engineering deparment, "That's just the way that it is"

Here is the issue: Our load manager is kicking into alarm only after a few minutes. I cant have all the lights on, the a/c unit and be pumping without the alarm kicking in and causing the load manager to kick in. It even happends when you are in high idle. We have checked the alternator, battery system, and charging circuits, and everything is okay. Pierce has basically done nothing for us on this issue. Is there anyone who has had the same issue?

Thanks,
    Chris

www.fairviewfiredept.com

You may be in for a fight. I think per NFPA 1901, unless the A/C unit was determined in the contract to be deemed "critical to the mission of the apparatus," then they may be able to say that's an item that can be shed.

Without knowing more, and not wanting to sound like I'm picking on Pierce, that's all I'll say.

Forum Member

Lets ignore the manufacturer of the truck for now. You are getting a low voltage alarm I assume. What size alternator does the vehicle have? How many? What RPM is high idle? How many batteries does the vehicle have and what group # are they?

Edited to add: This could be VERY simple, so just hang in there.

Jon
    Last edited by chiefeng7; 02-13-2006 at 08:02 AM. Reason: adding...

Forum Member

the quality of all or almost all products built in the USA have been going down hill for years. Its just not Pierce either we have an ***** that we have had problems with and as far as I'm concerned when you spend $220,000 on a 2004 truck and for just 1 example the gauge cluster on pump panels starts to loose up and portrude up and you get an answer"here the nuts and bolts to tighten them back up" do it yourself package. well I don't see us buying another ***** if I have something to say about it. Its a matter of time before OTHER countries start building better fire trucks and ship them over here. We do own a 1994 ***** AWSOME PIECE OF apparatus.

Forum Member

Default load manager

Don't have all the specifics like one other post here but, I found one of our Pierce units with a similar problem and all it turned out ot be was the wires attached into the laod manager were loose at the connections thereby giving false load signals.Always go for the easy common things and work your way up the line.Good luck and let us know. Was it Pierce not helping or the dealer?

Forum Member

I have also seen this problem happen on units with dual alternators. The dual alternators are NOT as good an idea as it may seem... they don't seem to play well together and spew TONS of whine out. Easy way to tell how bad that is... key up your two way radio and see if it whines. Also take a volt meter and make sure the voltage on your CMZ display is correct. Good chance it is not if you are having problems like this. But really we should start out finding alternator size and quantity, battery size and quantity. Let us know.

Jon

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801
    You may be in for a fight. I think per NFPA 1901, unless the A/C unit was determined in the contract to be deemed "critical to the mission of the apparatus," then they may be able to say that's an item that can be shed.
    Bingo. The load managers job is to get rid of non-essential equipment/lighting first. On our 02 Pierce Saber, the load manager will only allow the 2 outside rotators on the roof bar, side strobes and lower rear strobes to operate. If we kick on the generator, flip high idle on (on scene SOP), or are pumping we never have to worry. At idle it's not a big issue, but it is very close to kicking in with all emergency lights running, it only takes a few non-essential lights to put it over and kick the load manager on. I would suggest a bigger alternator, or just shut down what you don't need after arriving. Alternating headlights is one thing, even if not pumping or in high idle, it may solve the problem. Again, the idea is to shed not needed loads, figure out what is not needed.

If you still continue to have the issue AFTER shutting off non-essential lights/equipment INCLUDING the A/C, then really it should fall back on Pierce to solve the issue.
    Last edited by pfd4life; 02-14-2006 at 05:20 PM.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Just recently a pierce engine a for an FD here in CA caught fire, The invesitgation is undegoing

Forum Member

and how.....youngstown ohio fd ordered 2 pierce contenders from bradenton florida and got citrus-lemon-ades

the worst pierces probably ever

finally appleton added 2 more years to the warranty to appease the dept

so far no adiditional purchases from pierce but that may yet happen

MembersZone Subscriber

we have 3 pierce pieces a '95 commmercial pumper, a '00 Saber pumper, and a '02 Dash 105' RM ladder. I cna't specifically remember any problems with the '95, but the '00 is at the dealer getting all of the compartment doors replaced due to corrosion. The '02 is scheduled to get all of it's doors replaced for the same problem it's also getting most of the clearance lights replaced because the brackets on those are corroding aswell.

Its doing exactly what its supposed to do. As long as you dont get a low voltage warning your fine. If that happens, you have a problem.

We have an 02 Enforcer and its very sensitive as far as when the load manager kicks on. Its do to the fact that it has a smaller alternator. Thats part of the deal with the Enforcer line. Smaller engine, smaller alternator. etc. The componets are not as heavy duty as other Pierce chasis like the Dash or Quantum, which is why its a less expensive line.

We dont have any problems with the load manager on our 02 Dash.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Thread Information