MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Lexington Closing the Doors???

Anyone hear about New Lexingtons newest problems? On top of their financial problems the President was arrested for theft after she refused to pay for an International Chassis that was used to build a truck for a NJ Fire Department. I can't imagine that they will be open much longer unless they have a good work release program in Jersey.

Forum Member

Have no idea on their financial problems, I just read about the arrest of the company president for the International chassis snafu.

Forum Member

Here's two articles on the issue.

http://www.dailyamerican.com/article...day/news05.txt

http://www.dailyamerican.com/article...day/news04.txt

Doesn't look promising. I'm glad I never sold them any chassis's.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is the truck in question: http://www.newlex-fire.com/new_del/lafay.htm
    FTM - PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BVFD1983
    Here is the truck in question: http://www.newlex-fire.com/new_del/lafay.htm
    I happen to know a few people there and I say with confidence that the place would run just fine without her.

Jon

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by chiefeng7
    I happen to know a few people there and I say with confidence that the place would run just fine without her.

Jon
    I think your mistaken. From what I know of that place, it is those who have come and gone that have made an impact. Actually, I heard Sanner kept it from going under way back when. I am aware of the man who ran that place all but into the ground (however I won't throw around names) and I pity his employer (if he has one). Sad thing is, its mostly rumors, but what isnt. If things are going bad, why not go strait to the source instead of whine about what you "think" you know. Just a thought. Take Care.

-CapGales

Forum Member

Default hmm

[QUOTE=Yankee750]Anyone hear about New Lexingtons newest problems? On top of their financial problems the President was arrested for theft .......... QUOTE]

(She's free right now)

In a dead thread this gets posted....
    Quote Originally Posted by CapGales
    From what I know of that place, it is those who have come and gone that have made an impact. Actually, I heard Sanner kept it from going under way back when. I am aware of the man who ran that place ............ If things are going bad, why not go strait to the source instead of whine about what you "think" you know. Just a thought. Take Care.

Anybody thinking what I'm thinking? LOL

Forum Member

Sounds like a pitiful situation for the FD!

Forum Member

Great way to make friends...
    I meant no harm, sorry if I offended anyone...
    Just adding my 2 cents.

-CapGales

Forum Member

Just heard today that Harmonville (Montgomery County PA Station 44) is having trouble with their order and may not see it.

Since Plymouth Township is buying the truck their lawyers are now getting involved. They did put down a deposit also.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfyre
    Just heard today that Harmonville (Montgomery County PA Station 44) is having trouble with their order and may not see it.

Since Plymouth Township is buying the truck their lawyers are now getting involved. They did put down a deposit also.

Performance bond?

MembersZone Subscriber

Fire truck company owner faces charges
    By the DAILY AMERICAN
    Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:33 AM EDT

Fire departments in five states said they did not get what they paid for when they raised funds, received grants and paid a Rockwood company for new fire trucks and equipment, officials said.

While awaiting a hearing on similar charges, nine additional complaints were filed Tuesday against Betty Jo Sanner, 42, owner of New Lexington Fire Equipment Co. Inc., Maurice Lane, by Somerset County Detective Jason Hunter. An arrest warrant was issued Tuesday afternoon.

Sanner is accused of accepting money from fire departments to build fire trucks and other equipment, according to court documents. More than $1.2 million was paid to New Lexington, which failed to honor the agreements made with the fire departments and the chassis companies, according to court documents.

Sanner explained in an earlier story and she collects the funds from the fire departments in payments and then pays her distributors. She did not return a telephone call Tuesday seeking comment.

Some of the fire departments used grants from the Department of Homeland Security and state grants to help with the cost of purchasing the equipment. Some of the departments that received equipment had their purchases repossessed or the trucks were not finished.

A tenth complaint was filed against Sanner for theft by deception. According to court documents, Sanner placed an order with Mid America for a tank. A check was issued on March 7 and the tank was picked up on March 13 by New Lexington. After the first check was not honored, Mid America received a second check from New Lexington. That check was also not honored, investigators said. New Lexington officials said the tank was used on a truck and issued a partial check, according to a probable-cause affidavit.

Sanner also has been charged with theft by deception, receiving stolen property and theft by unlawful taking for not paying Tri-County Motor Sales the full amount for a chassis used in a fire truck for a New Jersey fire department, according to court documents. Tri-County was holding the title for the truck until it received payment. Fire department officials stored the truck in a garage, waiting for the title so they could put the truck into service. A hearing on this case that was scheduled for April 27 was continued.

The fire department filed a lawsuit against New Lexington, Tri-County Motors and the New Jersey Division of Motor Vehicles last year in an attempt to obtain a title for the fire truck.

Hunter and Sanner's attorney, Matthew Melvin, did not return telephone calls seeking comment.

Forum Member

Red face should have.....

They should have bought a P....., H.E, put your own brand name here_____.I'm waiting.

Forum Member

should have bought a 4guys

Forum Member

Default New Lexington

All I know is we have had a roller coaster ride getting our truck, Allthough our truck was mostly complete the money end was the big problem. as per our lawyer, if you are planning on buying a rig from them, before you do you may want to contact our legal leasion, Karl Reichkenback at the Community Fire Co, Rising Sun Md
    Last edited by powercall; 05-30-2006 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Phone number not susposed to be on site

MembersZone Subscriber

Here is an update from what is going on with the Plymouth Twp apparatus printed in today's newspaper from www.timesherald.com

PLYMOUTH - A woman was recently arrested in Somerset County in Western Pennsylvania after failing to build a fire truck for the Harmonville Fire Co. despite receiving nearly $300,000 for the job.

Betty-Jo Sanner, 42, of the 6300 block of Kingwood Road in Markleton, Pa., was charged on May 10 with theft by unlawful taking or disposition, receiving stolen property, theft by deception and theft by failure to make required disposition of funds received.
    Sanner is the owner and representative of New Lexington Fire Equipment, based on the 100 block of Maurice Lane in Rockwood, Pa.
    According to the criminal complaint, Sanner received $289,698 from Harmonville to build a fire truck body after receiving the contract. Part, if not all, of the funds were from a grant from the Department of Homeland Security.
    The truck was reportedly never built, and reports indicate that the chassis company, Spartan Chassis, would not deliver the body due to non-payment, even though Harmonville paid for the part.
    Both Harmonville Fire Co. and Spartan Chassis had attempted to resolve the matter with negative results, according to the criminal complaint. Harmonville reportedly sued the company for more than $400,000 previously.
    Plymouth Township Det. Todd Jordan said that at least nine other victims have been discovered so far.
    He said Harmonville, who has worked with New Lexington Fire Equipment positively in the past, heard through speaking with other fire companies about the problems with Sanner's organization.
    Sanner was arraigned in Somerset County. Jordan said that he believed her preliminary hearing was continued, and he was unsure of her bail amount.
    Jordan said that Sanner would not be extradited to Montgomery County. Because her victims hail from Pennsylvania, Ohio, Maryland and New Jersey, Jordan said the charges are staying in Somerset County, where the company and Sanner are located.
    Contact Kelly Devine at kdevine@timesherald.com or 610-272-2500, ext. 204.

Forum Member

New Lexington Fire Equipment Is In Receivership
    By Ed Ballam

The doors of New Lexington Fire Equipment, in Rockwood, Pa., were closed and the locks changed when the bank that held the mortgages asked a judge to place the assets in receivership to protect the bank’s interest in the remaining assets.

Betty Jo Sanner, 42, of Markleton, Pa., the company owner and president, was arrested by Pennsylvania State Police on Aug. 11 and held in Somerset County Jail for failing to appear at a hearing in Cumberland County on bad check and conspiracy charges in Middlesex Township. Sanner was later released on $5,000 bail.

In late July, PNC Bank, Pittsburgh, Pa., obtained a Somerset County court order appointing attorney Matthew Zatko as the troubled fire apparatus builder’s caretaker.

Securing Assets

In a mid-August telephone interview with Fire Apparatus, Zatko said that PNC Bank asked him to “secure the assets” of the business which meant taking physical control of the property, including changing the locks. The business is no longer functioning and wasn’t when he took over as the court-appointed receiver.

“It had stopped operating before I was asked to be the caretaker,” Zatko said, noting his receivership started July 26. “My duties are a custodial receivership only, not an operational receivership.” That means, he said, he will not be responsible for running the business and producing fire trucks. He also is seeking potential bidders for the property.

Criminal Charges

New Lexington and Sanner have been embattled with customers and law enforcement for several months. Sanner faces dozens of criminal charges, leveled by the Somerset County Bureau of Investigation alleging thefts and misappropriation of funds paid for fire trucks that were never delivered. (See page 1 story in the August 2006 Fire Apparatus.)

News reports indicate that the charges now involve more than 20 fire departments in at least 14 states and more than $2 million. Most of the charges and lawsuits against Sanner and New Lexington are pending in Somerset County Court.

In March, PNC Bank filed a motion against Sanner notifying the court that it held $539,000 in unpaid loans to which Sanner had confessed a judgment acknowledging the bank’s right to collect ahead of schedule. The 80-page document filed in Somerset County states that two loans taken out in 2000 and 2001 were due in September 2005 and that delinquency reminders were ignored.

In mid-August, Attorney Zatko, the court appointed receiver, said he hired subcontractors to take inventory of the New Lexington plant.

Assets, according to Zatko, include the real estate, land and buildings, any equipment and inventory and proprietary information, such as plans, product designs and customer and vendor lists.

Zatko said there were at least two chassis and several fire truck bodies in various stages of completion. He is unsure of the chassis and bodies’ ownership.

“I am waiting for court instruction from a judge on those items,” Zatko said.

Several fire departments have charged that New Lexington Fire Equipment took money and/or equipment, including chassis, for building fire apparatus, but never produced them. The criminal charges and lawsuits could involve the building’s inventory, which is why Zatko is waiting for judge’s instructions before making any decisions regarding disposition.

Departments Seek Help

He said several fire departments have called multiple times looking for help with their legal battles with New Lexington and to get their trucks or money back. Unfortunately, Zatko said, he’s unable to help them.

“I give them all the same advice,” he added. “They really need to engage their own counsel to give them legal advice. I am not in a position to advise them legally,” he said. “I know it’s very frustrating.”

Zatko said he’s “just doing his job” as an independent, court-appointed receiver and protecting and inventorying the business assets as the judge ordered. In addition, Zatko said

he’s been charged with seeking pot-ential bidders.

Marketing The Business

“The next step is to seek parties that may be interested in buying the property and business,” he said, noting that he has been approached by several potential bidders seeking information. He added that “the court expects movement” toward the business and property disposition, but the court also expects Zatko to help in finding a buyer.

“We are engaging potential buyers and making the property available for inspection,” Zatko said. “There has been some significant interest from industry in the property.” He would not say if the interest was from within the fire truck building industry.

He said he plans to begin advertising the business for sale on a national level.

As of mid-August, the court had not set any deadline for bids to be closed, he said.

“At this point, any and all bids will be considered,” Zatko said.
    Magazine Renewal Notice Reply
    Copyright © 2007 Fire Apparatus Magazine, All Rights Reserved.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This is a sad sad thing. I hate it for all those departments that lost money and their trucks. I hope they string up the people responsible.
    Forrest Gregg
    Chief
    Holtville/Slapout
    Fire & Rescue Inc.
    District 10 Director
    AAVFD
    IAFC
    www.holtvilleslapoutfd.org

Forum Member

Holy old thread!!!!! Nice bump!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default New Lexington - Sheriff settles dangerous auction situation

Forum Member

All I can say is I am glad that this did not end tragically.

Now hoppefully a former customer will get, if not all, but some of their money back.

Forum Member

Smack dab in the middle of Central Illinois

Maybe someone from Virginia can answer this one, but why did it appear that the State Police were called in to arrest the suspect? Are deputies in that part of the country without power of arrest?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by SWFD94 View Post
    Maybe someone from Virginia can answer this one, but why did it appear that the State Police were called in to arrest the suspect? Are deputies in that part of the country without power of arrest?
    This is actually Pennsylvania, not Virginia. I'm sure that sheriff's deputies can make arrests. Without having been there, I wouldn't attempt to comment authoritatively. In reading the newspaper account, I don't see that the PSP were called specifically to make the arrest. In this case it looks as if more resources were needed, so more were called and PSP responded.

Sheriffs in Pennsylvania do many things, but one of their main duties is to enforce court orders. That would appear to be what the deputies present there were doing.

Forum Member

nice bump and good find !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information