Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: arson

Forum Member

Default arson

what do u think about the volunteers who got caught setting fires agian

MembersZone Subscriber WaterbryVTfire's Avatar

Question

Does it matter whether it was a vollie? Maybe you should post it as a firefighter?
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

IACOJ

"Criticism is prejudice made plausible."
    - H. L. Mencken (1880-1956)

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ?

I agree, full time firefighter have been firesetters as well, not all volunteer are like that. I am both a career firefighter and a volunteer, for the record.

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Try reading this thread on firefighter arson . Lots of good info there.

Also, while there have been career firefighters that have done this, volunteers (no pay, poc, etc) make up the vast majority of the cases. It's not bashing; just a statistical fact.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Why does it have tobe a volunteer?? I thought we were supposed to be firefighters not volunteer or career. It's the same job with the same basic goals correct?

Forum Member

According to the US Fire Administration, 70% of the firefighters in America are volunteers. It stands to reason that a higher proportion of firesetters will be volunteers due to their large numbers. Also, paid departments have the resources that many volunteer departments don't have to help weed out those who may be arsonists. It's hard anymore for any volunteer department to deny someone membership if they show any kind of interest due to the low number of interested people wanting to join. If it turns out that person is an arsonist and wasn't caught in the background check some volunteer departments are able to do then that is unfortunate and makes all firefighters look bad.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FMChic3
    Why does it have tobe a volunteer?? I thought we were supposed to be firefighters not volunteer or career. It's the same job with the same basic goals correct?
    This is a whole other thread... having made the jump from Vol to Career (still volly with the dept) I see the issolation from both perspectives.

Still we all firefighters in my books, the volly service got me to leave a plush IT job to go career fire service. Best training and most motivated guys I worked with were vollies for the most part.

Anys back on topic, the state fire marshals office here in Iowa is putting on a two week course including a house burn. It is ussually offered once a year. I am excited about the courses, truely interesting stuff.
    [FONT=Garamond]Asst. Chief Chris Jennings

Regardless, if the firefighter is a vole or career her or she gives all fire service personal a bad name. Every working fire, weather arson or not; places firefighters life on the line. (Which we all know)
    Coldsmoke

"We must all obey the grate law of change. It is the most powerful law of nature."

MembersZone Subscriber

I think they should be fired from what ever dept they're with and charged accordingly. I don't think there should be any exception to the rule for firefighters.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steamer
    Try reading this thread on firefighter arson . Lots of good info there.

Also, while there have been career firefighters that have done this, volunteers (no pay, poc, etc) make up the vast majority of the cases. It's not bashing; just a statistical fact.

Unfortunate, but true. The reason it is a "statistical fact" is that statistically, volunteer ff's MASSIVELY outnumber career ff's.

Could be a repost...didnt read through all of the posts.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophoric
    Unfortunate, but true. The reason it is a "statistical fact" is that statistically, volunteer ff's MASSIVELY outnumber career ff's.

Could be a repost...didnt read through all of the posts.
    No. The reason it is true is because of the lax standards of volunteer FD's in terms of allowing members with questionable backgrounds and psychological makeups to join.

For verification,l I refer you to the works of Timothy Huff.

Forum Member

Yes, i understand that, i just didnt think to mention anything on those lines in my post....

That's what the "Unfortunate, but true." was for.

But for my point, You can poll about anything for all firefighters, and Volunteer ff's will outnumber career in almost every subject soley due to the much larger # of volunteers compared to career.
    Which I'm sure most realize.

Thread Information