MembersZone Subscriber

Default Alberta - OHS Code of Practice

One section of the Alberta Fire Commissioners Code of Practice for the fire service document outlines the requirement to
    Each employer must determine exactly what emergency service(s) the fire department will be authorized to provide and identify the level or standard to which each service will be performed. This includes response to structural fires, wildland fires, and various rescue situations including technical rescue, dangerous goods and Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) incidents among others.
    Does anyone have a document they can share which outlines the services provided by their departmnet and to what level?

I'm looking for an appropriate wording and format.

I suspect it will read something along the lines of:

Perform hazardous materials spill/release responses according to NFPA 472 standard for Hazardous Materials response to the operations level.

Thanks.

Randy
    SRFD905 - Serving since 1998

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

Forum Member

I think if you have not had the fire commissioners office out to talk to you and your town or city officals that this is the first step in this proccess. The presentation takes about 2 hours and I think that it would answer the question that you are asking. We had the talk last night by the FCO and it was well worth it. The only thing is make sure that you have a few elected officals to sit in aswell because they play a big role in this issue.

Forum Member

Hi Randy - I am assuming that you are Strathmore rural. As 407 says get the FCO to come down and outline the code. Make sure - make damn sure your council, reeves and other political influences attend this meeting - simply tell them that they will be held ultimatly responsible when and if something goes wrong.

"Each employer must determine exactly what emergency service(s) the fire department will be authorized to provide and identify the level or standard to which each service will be performed. This includes response to structural fires, wildland fires, and various rescue situations including technical rescue, dangerous goods and Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) incidents among others.

Dont get too far ahead of yourself. It is your councils responsibility to dictate what the fire department will respond too. If they say your doing hazmat - they will need to ensure proper education, PPE and supportive training is provided. If you respond to an incident that you are not trained or prepared for (who's done that???) you, your department and ultimatly the councillors will be held responsible.

The FCO's office is working on an SOP/SOG outline for use with fire departments. Give them a call and they will come and arrange a meeting!

Dave
    -I have learned people will forget what you said,
    -People will forget what you did,
    -But people will never forget how you made them feel!

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks 407.

We've been stewing over how to best get this in front of our fire board, and ultimately to the County. The Chief is working that part of it. I believe he has been in touch with the FCO.

I'm reviewing our SOG's and assesing it against this document. This part about stating what we are and aren't going to do is missing. I think we understand what is in scope and not, now we need to write it down. From there all the rest of the SOG changes just kind of fall out.

The biggest operational changes we are going to face are in regards to documenting our maintenance activites and auditing against manufacturers reccomended procedures and timelines. A tall order for our volunteer's to get in front of on addition to training, fund raising, oh and those pesky fire calls.

Randy.

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

MembersZone Subscriber

Dave404. I missed you post before I replied to 407.

Thanks for the input. And yes, Strathmore Rural.

I'm trying to raise awareness in my department, and ultimately up the food chain.

Wheatland switched from association based funding to taxed based funding in 2002 (maybe 2001?). I feel the organization and planning has not yet matured enough to a point where there is a complete understanding of who has what roles in fire service.

So, as of today there isn't a county defined level of service. The call comes in and we make an assesment as to our ability to handle it. And no, we have never been in over our level of training & experience

I recognize the liabilities this OHS code spells for me as an officer, the department and the county. I'm hoping to get in front of the issue and address it within MY realm of influence bottom up style. And I hope that a top down response will be forthcoming in the very near future.

* The views expressed in this thread are my personal opinions and do not reflect those of the Strathmore Rural Fire Department, or the County of Wheatland in any official capacity.

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

Forum Member

Rural,

Yikes - you need the FCO to come and explain this to you. My basic understanding of what you have said is: If you are tax based then ultimatly the people taking in the money and giving you budget money are the ones that need to be instructing the fire department on the level of service that "will be" provided.
    If the right people know they are going to be held accountable - it will make them buck up and have a vested interest in the protection of the communities.

I like your disclaimer!
    Dave

MembersZone Subscriber

Don't get me wrong. The system as it is has been working fairly well. We call each other for aid as needed. There are some very dedicated people providing the service in our hall and throughout the county who make sure that things get done. The Chiefs meet regularily, and there is some co-ordination at that level.

I'll let you know when I see a formalized response from the County on this.

*~-|EGH|FTM|-~*

Forum Member

Awesome - hate to see anyones butt left swingin in the wind! All falls back on that simple rule: cover thy arse!

Thread Information