Thread: Regional Grants

Forum Member

Default Regional Grants

BC, I hope you can answer these questions

Under a regional grant, The host department, Would it be better to apply for the grant under a career department or a volunteer department, and how would the poplulation effect the grant.

A committee that I'm working with is asking how the grant would be awarded and reviewed under the regional project. I know the Host is responsible for the grant, were just wondering how it would be reviewed under peer review.

FH Mag/.com Contributor

The host of the application doesn't matter, since they changed the process for Regional to make more sense this year it really doesn't matter who submits it. It actually never did, but in prior years it the matching funds were based on the host, not the region as a whole. This year the scoring and matching will be based on the total population, number of departments & FFs involved, etc, etc. Same as with an individual request. You don't score any points for making an application regional alone per se. Obviously it helps the case for increased interoperability since you got everyone on the same page, but only if the request has a basis in interoperability. Some things don't have a good argument in that sense, like PPE. Pants and coats have nothing to do with interoperability. SCBA, yes, mobile cascades, radios, training, and stuff like that have great regional benefits.

The host will identify a person responsible for administering the grant within their department, not within the region. The host is the contact point for everything, kinda goes with the term 'host'.

The best choice for a host is the department that doesn't need any other high priority items, such as PPE or SCBA, since the host cannot apply for their own project.

- Brian

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Regional training

BC76er:

Our association has a state charter to conduct fire training classes, but no real training aids like a live burn trailer. Obviously, the association is not eligible to apply for a grant. Could a single fire department represent a county (regional) fire chiefs association and apply for a grant for a mobile training trailer?

If so, would the other fire departments represented in that region be permitted to also submit their own grant request? I understand that the department who applies for the regional grant cannot submit another application.

Where can I find more detailed info on the regional grants, or do you know of any successful departments I might contact?

Thanks

FH Mag/.com Contributor

You can apply for the trailer as either a regional or as an individual project that will benefit the entire area. It does not have to be regional, and the scoring isn't done any differently with individual versus regional. If the application has merit, it will happen with either mode. If it is going to be hosted in a place where everyone has access, then I'd say either make it regional so everyone has a stake and shares in the matching funds, or keep it individual and just have everyone agree to pitching in for yearly maintenance & upkeep.

- Brian

Thread Information