MembersZone Subscriber

I'm too lazy to do the search, but isn't this like the millionth time there has been a thread about the nonsense that goes on in PG County? If this goes true to form, this thread will degenerate into names, threats of violence and a shut down by the WT in about two days.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry Absolutely Right, George.........

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeWendtCFI
    I'm too lazy to do the search, but isn't this like the millionth time there has been a thread about the nonsense that goes on in PG County? If this goes true to form, this thread will degenerate into names, threats of violence and a shut down by the WT in about two days.
    Exactly why I have no comment, other than that my Company was not there, nor was I. And, It's a damn shame that the alleged misdeeds of a very few tarnish the good work of the majority.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Hopefully, the rest of the country will not look at this and think this is how volunteerism is around the US. I volunteered for almost 2 years before I was hired on a paid deptarment and I wouldn't trade that time for the world. However, it takes an instance such as this for all volunteers to be lumped into the category of unprofessional and "second rate". I'm sure the majority of PG depts. are highly professional and provide excellent service to thier communities. However, "black eyes" such as this could set back years of progress and trust amoung those they serve.

Just an outsider looking in.

MembersZone Subscriber

If things were that bad with our mutual aid companies, we'd simply quit going to fires with them...

Truckie

I see that the Kentland vollies and those from Bladensburg Fire Company put a whole new meaning to the term "Professional Volunteer"....
    Last edited by SPFDRum; 02-15-2006 at 01:55 PM.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Part of the problem is that there are vollies in the suburbs around DC who worship the guys who run at Kentland. "Oh Kentland did this..." Worry about your own guys and your own dept before you start wishing you were with another company.

And the fact that a firefighter caused another firefighter INTENTIONAL harm while on the fireground is reprehensible.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods
    It's a damn shame that the alleged misdeeds of a very few tarnish the good work of the majority.

Well said hwoods I will not form any opinions of any Department or Person until all the facts are reviewed and the investigation is complete. I too know several good P.G. FF's and reports such as this will not stop this department from continuing to do the good job they do everyday.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Am I the only one who can imagine the beating and bloodshed that would befall the individual who touched another fire fighters air pack? Of course, this punishment would befall this individual out of the view of the general public. And, at least in my FD, the guy who had his SCBA tampered with would not have to lift a finger.

Also, aren't there like a hundred children from Kentland on these forums? It would be interesting to hear the justification for this.

MembersZone Subscriber

Am I the only one who can imagine the beating and bloodshed that would befall the individual who touched another fire fighters air pack? Of course, this punishment would befall this individual out of the view of the general public. And, at least in my FD, the guy who had his SCBA tampered with would not have to lift a finger.
    Lord yes. Attempted manslaughter charges do not have nearly the same teaching impact. Unbelievable. Shutting off a man's SCBA??? WTF?

MembersZone Subscriber
    Loco madidus effercio in rutilus effercio.

Before my time, Malahat had an incident involving a person turning air off on a BA. The good thing is, this was done during a relay drill, and not on real operations. To all accounts the individual who's air was turned of (he was a submariner too) took at least 2 guys to pull him off the perpetrator. No blood was shed per se.

As to George's challenge, I do not belive there could be any justification for turning another persons air off during live ops. What? "Ooopssss sorry about that."???
    If you don't do it RIGHT today, when will you have time to do it over? (Hall of Fame basketball player/coach John Wooden)

"I may be slow, but my work is poor." Chief Dave Balding, MVFD

"Its not Rocket Science. Just use a LITTLE imagination." (Me)

Get it up. Get it on. Get it done!

impossible solved cotidie. miracles postulo viginti - quattuor hora animadverto

IACOJ member: Cheers, Play safe y'all.

Forum Member

Default Fighting

I've heard of fighting off the fireground, this is just bizarre. I have had discussions with PGC people and do recall them not saying good things about other department(s), but don't recall the exact conversation. Anyways its disgusting, shameful, and embarassing. Sounds like some "team building" training might be in order, that or terminations.

Reminds me though of a story my dad told me a few times. Back in the 50's his department was fighting a hardware store fire and they needed to cut through a wood floor of the building. The OIC requested an ax and it never came. He checked, and two of the FF's were rolling around on the ground fighting over who was going to carry the ax in. Probably good they didn't have SCBA's back then!

Forum Member

Angry

After watching the video link...

If the allegations are true, then those so called "brothers" who turned off the air supplies of firefighters in the building deserve to be charged with attempted murder. Those that threw the elbows should be charged with assault and battery.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Heard some pretty outrageous PG stories, don't know anyone personally down there so don't know how true they are. But, IF this is true......ummm, WTF barely covers it. If you ever turned my air off in a working fire, there most definitely would be blood shed. Back in the days of Nelson and the wooden navies it was called the 'justice of the lower deck'. Lord help you if you stole or committed some other crime against your shipmates. Getting flogged was definitely preferred to what your shipmates would do to you.
    In Arduis Fidelis
    Faithful in Adversity

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MalahatTwo7
    Before my time, Malahat had an incident involving a person turning air off on a BA. The good thing is, this was done during a relay drill, and not on real operations. To all accounts the individual who's air was turned of (he was a submariner too) took at least 2 guys to pull him off the perpetrator. No blood was shed per se.

As to George's challenge, I do not belive there could be any justification for turning another persons air off during live ops. What? "Ooopssss sorry about that."???
    I did not imply that shutting off anyone's air is justified ever. My point was that the individual who originally had his air shut off would not have had to lift a finger in the the subsequent beatings. It would be taken care of for him.

Forum Member

SPFD how did Bladensburg make a bad name for the vollies if you watched the vid sounds to me like Kentland got that wrapped up ALL by them selves, from the vid they said 30,28 and 9 were the victims of this cowerdly act the Kentland boys brought on them selves.

Forum Member

Unhappy same team here

wow...just got to say arnt we all on the same team? here for the same reasons? Damn shame that this kinda stuff happens.

Truckie

Three volunteer firefighters, two from the Bladensburg Fire Company and one from Kentlands, were suspended. Officials said the firefighters were "pushing and shoving" each other outside the burning house. The fire department is investigating the incident.
    This is a cut and paste from the original report as posted at the beginning of this thread.
    But yes, the other subsiquent articles and the t.v. news report do seem to point more towards the Kentland hooligans. The "smoking gun" per se is the fact that the kentland thugs where the only ones NOT to experiance any SCBA problems.
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Forum Member

Been going on for decades. Before I went permanently on the disabled list, my family worried more about the PG hooligans (both inside & outside the FD) than the incidents themselves.

Forum Member

From there County page it says that they (County) lifted the suspentions from the Bladenburg guys, and like you said as in the vid it"s kinda funny that Kentland had NO issues with there scba"s.

Be Safe Brother
    that is what the Fire Service is all about Career or Volliy BROTHERHOOD

Forum Member

From there County page it says that they (County) lifted the suspentions from the Bladenburg guys, and like you said as in the vid it"s kinda funny that Kentland had NO issues with there scba"s.

Be Safe Brother
    that is what the Fire Service is all about Career or Volly BROTHERHOOD

Forum Member

Last edited by BD6413; 02-15-2006 at 04:49 PM.

Forum Member

Sorry about the double post guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

One word.............Pops.
    Leroy140 (yes, THAT Leroy)
    Fairfield, CT, Local 1426
    IACOJ Tillerman

Forum Member

George couldn't be anymore right than that....

..I believe another incident occured between Kentland and Career Personnel from Bladensburg a few years ago when repordedley Kentland guys sucker punched Bladensburg Career Guys and knocked an officer down a flight of stairs just so they could steal the line. Forget where I read that but I'm not suprised. -- And give past incidents where Kentland has been the center of attention I can only imagine that an engine being parked on a hose line wasn't accidential.

There are Kentland Members who possess the I'm better than 'thou attitude because I'm from Kentland 33. Well Kentland Firefighters are no diffrent from DCFD guys, Baltimore Guys, or the eight cousins running a budget reduced volunteer firehouse in southern Mississippi. Companies around me try to act like Kentland {at least in my area both NJ and Delaware } right down to the live-in volunteers that are career firefighters elsewhere. {MY GOD GET A FRIGGIN' LIFE ! } -- It'll be nice to see where this Drama ends up. That's all this is more Drama with in the volunteer fire service that started over petty horse sh**.

CAUTION...True Volunteer Professionals at Work !!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Look on the bright side

At least they didnt have guns

Thread Information