Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefx
    I work for PGFD and live in Prince George's County. WHAT STATION ARE YOU FROM in PG County?, or are you on of the disciples, ride-alongs or a wanna-be that lives in the far reaches of Maryland, Virginia, 0r Pennsyltucky that want to ride with a suburburban Fire Dept., get a T-shirt and talk SH*T about people in what you call a ghetto .

firefx--

I know I am reviving a very old post, but what's with tacking letters from "Kentucky" onto "Pennsylvania" in such an insulting fashion? Why do you think that would insult Pennsylvanians? What's your problem with Kentucky?
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Forum Member

Thumbs down

Go to Kentland 33 website. Second picture down. Two idiots flashing gang signs, numerous idiots holding beer cans / bottles. 100% volunteer, 0% professional!
    "My friends, watch out for the little fellow with an idea." - Tommy Douglas 1961.

Tender 9 - old, slow, ugly, cantankerous, reliable!

All empires fall, you just have to know where to push

Forum Member

Gang Sign? or 3 fingers each hand for "33".
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

It just so happens that three fingers also make up the SHOCKER.

I guess he was so worried about the "gang" signs he missed that.

I think a sense of humor and the ability to take things with a grain of salt should be required for reading their site.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

FossilMedic

Default It is not just firefighters

BUMP! While many folks are at "da shore" for the 114th annual Maryland convention, I thought I would post this article about municipal employee behavior.

City officials draw fire for actions on, off job
    Some city government members in Prince George’s criticized for their questionable ethics, lack of professionalism

Thursday, June 22, 2006
    by Judson Berger
    Staff Writer

A Bowie councilman goes to jail for allegedly holding a BB gun to his wife’s head. A Forest Heights mayor fires her police chief, then crowns herself chief, after allegedly slamming a door on another officer. An entire Seat Pleasant council is at such a standoff over the budget that the mayor threatens to abolish the government.

Welcome to Prince George’s County. It is a place of fantastic economic opportunity and diversity. It is also a county with enough municipal-level sparring to make you plead for an alternate form of government.

Take Seat Pleasant, for example. In the City of Excellence, the council is back to where it was last year, squabbling over the budget. The infighting has already extended the fiscal year and threatens to lead to a complete city shutdown, or worse.

‘‘I’m willing to abolish the government,” Mayor Eugene W. Grant threatened a couple weeks ago. ‘‘If the government is not going to work on behalf of its people, then why have it?”

Grant is trying to add dollars for police and subtract dollars for convention trips he says are of no use to the city. But the council won’t let him.

In his crusade, Grant has found both supporters and detractors.

Viola Mills, who has lived in the city for 43 years, supports him and says she’s fed up with some of the council’s antics.

‘‘They run in order to be somebody instead of do something,” Mills said. ‘‘The people just have to vote them out, but Lord have mercy, this has been going on for way too long in this city.”

Then, there’s Forest Heights. The council’s decision early this year to amend the charter and kick out former Mayor Joyce Beck has failed to clear the air. Beck not only named herself police chief last year, she was also charged with slamming a door on a police officer and a former councilwoman. Those charges were dropped, but she was still kicked out of office by council members who used the town’s charter amendments.

Now, that decision has spurred a whole new level of discontent. Beck, for all her foibles, had followers, and they strongly oppose her replacement Mayor Myles Spires.

‘‘I don’t recognize [Spires] as mayor of Forest Heights,” said John Kennedy, co-founder of the Forest Heights Freedom Fighters. ‘‘I don’t recognize anybody when it’s a coup d’etat ... Spires has made our town a laughingstock.”

Yes, there is a town in Prince George’s County where things have gotten so bad that a group named itself the Freedom Fighters, saying its members were acting in defiance of a coup d’etat.

Spires, who says Beck was removed for the good of the city, has since overseen the passage of an ordinance upping the number of signatures needed to petition for referendum from 20 percent of registered voters to 51 percent.

The charter amendments also gave more authority to the council and made it possible to postpone town elections.

No wonder residents of this 2,700-person town are upset. They have submitted a second petition to put the amendments to referendum, after their first petition was struck down in court because it was not filed on time.

It’s not just the small towns that run into these issues.

In Bowie, the Prince George’s County behemoth, the council has dealt with similar debacles.

Most notable is the case of Michael Bannister, who became the first Bowie councilman ever jailed while in office. He was convicted on charges of assaulting his wife and child,and resigned — from his cell — in early 2004.

His replacement, Councilman D. Michael Lyles, made waves of his own shortly afterward. While on the campaign trail, Lyles, his wife and mother-in-law got into a heated shouting and pushing match with then-Councilwoman Gail Booker Jones. Bystanders reported that as Booker Jones was campaigning for Lyles’ opponent, Lyles pushed her and Booker Jones slapped him.

When it comes to shoving matches, Capitol Heights can top that. They reported back-to-back pushing contests last year.

In 2005, the Capitol Heights Council fired Daithi Htun, its sixth town administrator in three years, after the official allegedly was involved in a shoving match with treasurer Abraham Samuel. The next day, Mayor Joyce Ayers Nixon took out a restraining order against Councilwoman Evelyn Grimes for supposedly threatening to assault her in town hall after Nixon called her an obscenity, a claim the councilwoman denied.

The firing later prompted three council members to protest by walking out of an executive session, leading to further dissension. In the end, one councilwoman, Grimes, was removed from office, after being criticized for missing several meetings. She is fighting the decision in court.

Things cleared up in Capitol Heights after spring elections wiped out the old power structure. Darrell Miller was elected mayor and five new council members were chosen

‘‘The council is fine, and we’re working together,” Miller said. ‘‘We’ve just left that in the past.”

District Heights, too, has benefited from recent elections. Mayor James Walls Jr. was elected after the former mayor was absent from meetings for months.

Glenarden, too, made its mark when the mayor ordered that all full-time city employees resign in 2003. And Edmonston made its mark when the council accused the mayor of using the town newsletter to besmirch other officials and implicate them in acts such as stealing, and then kicked her off newsletter duty.

So what’s to be done about these antics?

Maybe Maryland Municipal League president and Bowie Mayor Pro Tem Dennis Brady can provide some insight.

‘‘All municipalities have that problem, where the people need to work together. It’s just a matter of how much division you have on the council, as to whether you have major problems, or a minor rubbing of elbows,”

Brady said, speaking generally of council infighting. ‘‘Sometimes you end up with bad people, and the public just needs to deal with that.”

http://www.gazette.net/stories/06220...03_31940.shtml

Thread Information