Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NDeMarse
    But if this is your gig, your talents would be better off in Baghdad or Musil, Iraq!
    While in the shower something dawned on me! The military wouldn't want you either because you don't have (nor will you have) an ounce of discipline! You shouldn't burden the military with your stupidity.

Go stock shelves in a grocery store somewhere. Maybe then you can "beat the can goods guy" to his shelf or arm wrestle him to re-stock the peas!

Whatever you do, GET OUT OF THE FIRE SERVICE!
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

Forum Member

Originally posted by Station2Capt.

firepics, Please be sure and read all the posts before making comments
    My apologies to you. You're right, out of the three pages, I missed the one post that actually took the sane approach.

I don't pretend to know what it is like in that neck of the woods, but do ALL these depts. get dispatched at the same time to this fire? How the heck DOES it work?

apologies accepted, hwoods will have to inform us on how the system works up that way.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by firepics
    My apologies to you. You're right, out of the three pages, I missed the one post that actually took the sane approach.

I don't pretend to know what it is like in that neck of the woods, but do ALL these depts. get dispatched at the same time to this fire? How the heck DOES it work?

im unsure of how things work in P.G. county, i know down here we have a similar " unified " response. if our dept responds to a structure fire, the city of webster, and city of friendswood respond automatically. if need be, of course, we can drop a 2nd alarm which is rare. i cant understand how people can act like that on a fire scene. every dept paid or volly is going to have their own little internal disputes, but letting it spill over onto a fireground, and to go as far as to shut off someones airpack ( allegedly of course ) is unfathomable ( sp? ) we train and respond together on a regular basis. friendswoods chief used to be on our day crew, and vice versa. i hope if it all comes down to it, that the chief of the dept responsible, takes appropriate action. i love my fellow firefighters, volly and paid. but would not hesitate to turn one in for an act so outrageous.

Forum Member

This is just outrageous. This situation places a black eye on the Fire service for both Career & Volunteer Departments. As a Company Officer when you pinn on the badge you shoulder the responsibility to protect your Brother Firefighter, the Engine Company, Ladder Company (Truck) Rescue, Squads both in your Deaprtment and those who assist you when the bell calls you to duty. You also have the trust of each of there family members, Brothers, Sisters, Mom's & Dads, there Children so on & on that you protect them, and see that they return home with the same smile on there face when they left there family for work.

I know an investigation will take place to see why this type of situation was allowed to happen. If it turns out that this type of behavior is true then the responsibility starts at the top with the Chief for allowing there professional personnel, Officers, and Veteran Firefighters to perform in a manner to harm other Firefighters. All involved shall be held accountable for ther actions, or inactions for allowing this take place.

We have Fire investagators, Marshalls, and Judges that place Arsonist in prison for attempt murder when they attempt to place harm on our Brother Firefighter's for being stupid. The Fire service has attended to many funerals.

Our Safety Officer sent all the Officers the NIOSH report on the recent fire that claimed the life of a Captain in a Michigan Department. As there Officer I spent 3 Hrs (between calls) to review the report with my personnel, we reinforced our Sop's on each of the items listed as it related to this incident. We all can learn from this tragic incident by spending time training not fighting on your fire ground.

You can bet on one thing, the above training was conducted towards not only learning how to save our own, but also on how we would save our Brother Firefighter, not how we can cause pain or even death. Sorry if I steped on any toes but this type of behavior is unacceptable. Some may think I have pre judged those involved, if so I'm sorry. Thank God those injuried will heal. To all my Brother & Sister Firefighters, Officers and those who work behind the scene may God Bless. STAY SAFE. FDSQUAD 10 VBFD.
    Last edited by fdsq10; 02-15-2006 at 11:28 PM.

Default Embarrassing Day In The Fire Service !

Where's the brotherhood here???? This type of behavior is unacceptable on the fireground!!! The last thing anyone or a family needs to see/witness during their time of need is fire departments that cant get along with eachother. Career or volunteer, we all have a job to do on the fireground and I believe we're tought that your safety and the safety of your fellow brother/sister firefighters should be number one on anybodys list especially when it comes to fireground operations,training, or any activity that your fd is involved in! Not jeopardizing the lives of fellow firefighters no matter what what the situation is,if we dont watch the backs of our fellow firefighters than who will???? www.firefighterclosecalls.com has enough articles about firefighters and their close calls with death,and it sure dont need a section about childish acts of overjealous firefighters seriouslly injuring fellow firefighters! It sounds like some people need to get over themselves ,and look at the big picture of why they ever got into the fire service to begin with.If some people would put more time into what they are suppose to be doing and not worrying about other people, fire scenes would'nt be such a CF.I hope the fellow brothers injured in this unfortunate situation have a quick recovery!

Forum Member

Very well put DeMarse.

Forum Member

The last post i meant FDSQ

MembersZone Subscriber

However, I KNOW FOR A FACT that this stuff goes on down there weekly if not on a daily occasion
    You got your facts f--ked up than. I spend alot of time at the Firehouse and I have not seen an incident like this in years. I love how all of you Monday Morning QB's like to pretend you know whats going on down here (MIKEY) but just because you see something on the news doesn't mean it is being accurately reported.

What you people may call "Cowboy bull****" we call being aggressive and putting the fire out. If two Paid Maids pull up on a firetruck that got spanked in by another Wagon that has six volunteers on it, Waah f--kin Waah....they are going to get thier fire taken.

Company 30 is a Faux Volunteer Fire Department that has ZERO active Volunteers. They are consistently understaffed (as are most of the career staffed stations) because they have to staff an Ambulance too, with four career guys and now they have a Haz-Mat Unit.

I will agree with some of the people who complain about Departments in their area wanting to be like Kentland or P.G....and I got your back on that. Nothing chaps my *** more than seeing some TOOLBAG Pa. fire company that even mentions Kentland or PG on their webpage.

These Idiots in Delaware County Pa. even went as far as making up t-shirts announcing they are the "Next best thing to Kentland." (See Green Ridge Fire Company) I mean you look at their website and the most exciting thing they can muster up is that they ran two back to back AFA's! Sheesh....the Idolization of this county has to stop....we have more problems than most even want to know about.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Chris.. please tell me you are not condoning the BS of turning peoples air supplies off or knocking their lids off....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Quote Originally Posted by TillerMan25
    You got your facts f--ked up than. I spend alot of time at the Firehouse and I have not seen an incident like this in years. I love how all of you Monday Morning QB's...What you people may call "Cowboy bull****" we call being aggressive and putting the fire out. If two Paid Maids pull up on a firetruck that got spanked in by another Wagon that has six volunteers on it, Waah f--kin Waah....they are going to get thier fire taken...I will agree with some of the people who complain about Departments in their area wanting to be like Kentland or P.G....and I got your back on that.

Nothing chaps my *** more than seeing some TOOLBAG Pa. fire company that even mentions Kentland or PG on their webpage.
    Dude.
    Now, normally, I respect a person with as many posts as yourself. But f*ck that!

You are a TOOL. A T-O-O-L.

I can't believe you actually thought out what you posted, then typed it letter for letter, submitted it, and actually believed that bulls#it.

If your'e calling the likes of MIKEYLIKESIT, NDeMarse, and CaptainGonzo (who "PRETEND" they know whats going on in the great PG, because thats what they like to do in their spare time....) mondaymorning QB's, you just lost every shred of respect to anything I ever read that has your name attached. Good job

For once, I'm actually glad Im a west coaster. Don't gotta worry about the likes of you on my line.

ya friggin mutt.
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm not condoning anyone turning off a bottle in the middle of an incident. But if you listen to the news clip, the statement by the Career Captain says that someone from 33 was "Blocking the entrance to the Fire Room" or something of that nature. If that career Captain would have backed off and let the companies already inside do the job, instead of trying to force his way into the room, than this situation may not have escalated. It sounds like someone got spanked in and then tried to over compensate. If you are not motivated enough to be the first firetruck to a fire in your alarm area, than maybe it's time to retire.

The situation with the Apparatus on the supply line happens alot, it's pretty simple to recover from and usually does not require violence to mitigate, usually "HEY, get your damn tire off my water" will suffice.

MIKEY is a Union Sympathizer who believes that our dedicated Volunteers who also happen to be career firefighters in other jurisdictions are somehow detrimental to his union local halfway across the Country.

NDemarse came out with FALSE facts that this type of thing happens everyday or weekly...which is entirely untrue and completely ludicrous. I guess he was thinking of ""The next best thing to Kentland"

I never mentioned Captain Gonzo in my post anywhere, and none of what I wrote was directed towards him. But for the record, I do not condone tampering with turnout gear or SCBA in any IDLH.
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

The situation with the Apparatus on the supply line happens alot, it's pretty simple to recover from and usually does not require violence to mitigate, usually "HEY, get your damn tire off my water" will suffice.
    Is it that hard to miss a supply line? Or is it that your engineers a friggin blind. NOT AN EXCUSE!

NDemarse came out with FALSE facts that this type of thing happens everyday or weekly...which is entirely untrue and completely ludicrous. I guess he was thinking of ""The next best thing to Kentland"
    But you said yourself, that PG-County has more problems than most want to know about. So which is it, no problems or a ton that are not made public?

Wow am I glad I have NOT decided to go east.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

MembersZone Subscriber

[QUOTE=TillerMan25]I'm not condoning anyone turning off a bottle in the middle of an incident. But if you listen to the news clip, the statement by the Career Captain says that someone from 33 was "Blocking the entrance to the Fire Room" or something of that nature. If that career Captain would have backed off and let the companies already inside do the job, instead of trying to force his way into the room, than this situation may not have escalated. It sounds like someone got spanked in and then tried to over compensate. If you are not motivated enough to be the first firetruck to a fire in your alarm area, than maybe it's time to retire.

not pickin a fight, but the way i read this paragraph is, one firefighter is blocking a door, to prevent a hoseline from entering until his whole crew is inside. I am a volunteer FF with hopes of going career. and even with the career FF's ive met, i cant imagine any Fire officer, paid or volly, blocking a door because they werent first in. and the part about being motivated to be first in, thats the reason FF's are dying responding to calls. get their fast, yeah it sucks when your not first in, and dont get to go interior. but your additude is why firefighters are dying trying to be first in. I love being first in, but not at the cost of my life, or any other.

just my 2cents

If that career Captain would have backed off and let the companies already inside do the job..
    does rank and title have ANY bearing on you whatsoever? Or do you only respect the LT. Capt. B/C D/C A/C and Chief titles in YOUR department, and noone elses? Hes a FRIGGIN CAPTAIN. I think he's earned the right to go inside a structure without some hack lineman throwing an elbow to his facepiece.

I can't speak for any other department in the nation, but that has NEVER happened here, nor will it, as long as our drivers retain the ability to spot their rigs.

MIKEY is a Union Sympathizer who believes that our dedicated Volunteers who also happen to be career firefighters in other jurisdictions are somehow detrimental to his union local halfway across the Country.
    I must be a monday qb'ing union sympathizer too...because its not just his union. its mine too.

I'm not going to dispute NDeMarses comments with you for 2 reasons...1) I haven't been around here that long to be seasoned with Kentland 33 posts..and 2) NDeMarse can do that himself just fine.

But I will say that the originator of this post, one of your OWN PG brothers, left me with the impression that this isn't just one, tiny, wittle incident in an otherwise unmarred and crisp history of PG's bravest.

I never mentioned Captain Gonzo in my post anywhere, and none of what I wrote was directed towards him.
    No, but you did refer to the guys who were criticizing the bulls#it actions of your PG brothers as "Monday Morning QB's".....and guess what. CaptainGonzo was one of them. So are you gonna ball up and include him in your insult on the rest of us, or not?
    The good thing about this job is that we have done so much, with so little, for so long that we can do everything with nothing...... which is what is wrong with this job.
    KTF | DTRT

MembersZone Subscriber

As I said...one day till lockdown. Get your comments in now.

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

As I said...one day till lockdown. Get your comments in now.
    LOL!!! You know George... it will go on for 1 day more... just for spite.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Default wow

If this is really happening i feel bad for the companies that must run with 33 cause thats a load of crap....

Sqeezing my post in before the lock down
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

If two Paid Maids pull up on a firetruck that got spanked in by another Wagon that has six volunteers on it, Waah f--kin Waah....they are going to get thier fire taken.
    Reinforcing my theory

If that career Captain would have backed off and let the companies already inside do the job, instead of trying to force his way into the room, than this situation may not have escalated.
    Reinforces my theory! (incident 1 for the day)

It sounds like someone got spanked in and then tried to over compensate. If you are not motivated enough to be the first firetruck to a fire in your alarm area, than maybe it's time to retire.
    Again, reinforcing my theory (that's 2 incidents in 1 day)

Why in the HELL would anyone think it is acceptable to do this ONE TIME, let alone several! If this happens a lot then I guess my facts aren't that f*cked up! Right? (that's 3 incidents in one day. These are things that you are reporting, not the news by the way!)

NDemarse came out with FALSE facts that this type of thing happens everyday or weekly...which is entirely untrue and completely ludicrous.
    They don't look so false now do they? I am well aware and in-tune with what goes on down there. I find it SICKENING on how departments in that area take pride in this ACT!

In case you didn't fully read my post, I never named ONE department or ANY department for that matter. I was attacking the "theory" of this cowboy BS style of what you guys apparently call firefighting! It's not aggressive firefighting, it's fighting fire like high school kids! You must have a guilty conscience, which again reinforces my theory!

***Sarcasm Alert*** Oh yeah, let me run right down and join! I'll see if I can get my "next best thing to Kentland" shirts made up today! I am sure the guys in my house will go right for it! Everyone wants to be like you guys, don't let ANYONE fool you! ***Sarcasm Complete***
    Good Luck, Stay Low & Stay Safe

Nate DeMarse
    Co-Owner, Brotherhood Instructors, LLC.
    http://brotherhoodinstructors.com
    Facebook Users: Join us here
    -------------------------------
    GET IN THE JOB, BE A STUDENT OF THE JOB!

This my friends is another case of jumping on someone without having your facts straight:

Quote Originally Posted by BD6413
    ..I believe another incident occured between Kentland and Career Personnel from Bladensburg a few years ago when repordedley Kentland guys sucker punched Bladensburg Career Guys and knocked an officer down a flight of stairs just so they could steal the line. Forget where I read that but I'm not suprised. -- And give past incidents where Kentland has been the center of attention I can only imagine that an engine being parked on a hose line wasn't accidential.
    Wow... It turns out that you are wrong and it was a Kentland member who was assaulted on a previous fire.

Also, why are you assuming that it was Kentland that parked on the hose? A Chief Officer from a neighboring department stated in another forum that it was in fact BLADENSBURG TRUCK 9 THAT PARKED ON THE HOSE. I am sure it was a mistake. They had snow on the ground and maybe he didn't see the line. I am not going to jump to conclusions and will be giving him the benefit of the doubt unlike many of you who are already blaming the wrong department.

If indeed there were inapropriate actions done then the appropriate parties shall be delt with harshly. But please guys don't jump to conclusions and condemn fellow firemen without getting all of the facts...

BTW, no I am not a Kentland member nor a Kentland wannabe. In fact I have several friends that come from their neighboring departments in PG county including one of the ones mentioned in the article. So don't try to play that angle on me.

Here is the article about the previous assault:

Kentland Volunteer Firefighter Assaulted on Working Fire

On Wednesday, November 1, while responding to an incident for a reported
    fire in the basement, a Kentland Volunteer Firefighter was struck in the
    face, in an unprovoked attack by a career PGFD technician assigned to
    Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department (Co. 9).

The Kentland volunteer firefighter, who was responding as the OIC on
    Engine 331, arrived just behind Bladensburg FD to witness a career
    Officer (Lieutenant) entering the building without protection of a hose
    line, while the driver, who was not wearing personal protective
    equipment (PPE), pulled a shoulder load from Engine 91.

There was heavy black smoke coming from the basement of the house. The
    Firefighter from Kentland, in full PPE, positioned himself in the
    doorway of the house and attempted to pick up the nozzle and hose which
    the driver deposited on the front step of the house. After picking up
    the hose line, the Kentland firefighter felt the driver tugging back on
    the hose line, attempting to pull it from the hands of the Kentland
    firefighter. Recognizing the urgency of the situation, the Kentland
    firefighter tugged back.

At this point, the driver hit the Kentland firefighter in the face,
    dislodging a tooth, and knocking the firefighter backwards down a flight
    of stairs into the basement, which was the source of the heavy black
    smoke. Landing at the bottom of the stairs, dazed and bruised with a
    contusion around his left eye, the Kentland firefighter donned his mask
    and attempted to locate the Career Lieutenant in the dense black smoke.
    After establishing the safety of the Lieutenant, the Kentland
    firefighter located the source of the fire and proceeded to ventilate
    the room. Shortly thereafter a hoseline was advanced to the basement.

After collecting his crew, the Kentland firefighter reported the
    incident to the Battalion Chief and Chief 33A who were in command. Both
    the Kentland firefighter and the career technician have been suspended
    from fire department operations, with the career firefighter being
    assigned to light duties in the county operations center. Criminal
    charges have been filed against the career technician, and the Prince
    George's County Fire Department is reportedly conducting an internal
    review of the incident. The Kentland firefighter remains on suspension
    at this time.

The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department deplores the actions of the
    career technician on this incident. His actions could have resulted in
    the serious injury or even death of one of our members, and placed the
    life of the other career and volunteer firefighters at risk, by delaying
    the rapid placement of the hose line. The career technician who
    assaulted our member has a history of discipline problems, and attempted
    two days early to provoke a fight with another Kentland member on a
    separate call. This Department is extremely concerned about this
    incident, and is aggressively following up on both the criminal and
    departmental actions that are currently in progress.

We are further concerned about the increased tensions and hostility
    exhibited by paid members of the PGFD which have become evident since
    the IAFF passed Local 1619's "Resolution 43" designating this department
    and the other volunteer departments in Prince George's County as "rival
    organizations."

It has become evident that since the passage of "Resolution 43" a
    hostile workplace has been created while operating on calls with career
    firefighters.

Verbal harassment by career firefighters and support personnel has
    become a daily occurrence, culminating in this attack on one of our
    members. The PGFD leadership has not taken any steps to resolve or
    mitigate this hostile climate, and has to a degree condoned it by
    failing to address the attitude of Local 1619's members.

The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department is working aggressively to ensure
    that this specific incident is resolved promptly so that no other
    volunteers are put at risk. We urge the County leadership to promptly
    address the hostile attitude that has developed following the passage of
    resolution 43.
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 02-16-2006 at 09:17 AM.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Thread Information