+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 First ... 234567815 ... Last
    MembersZone Subscriber

The two firefighters, assigned to the Landover Hills station, received first and second degree burns. The reports claim that firefighters from the all-volunteer Kentland Station got into a battle over who was going to put out the fire.

One of the burned men, Captain John O'Brien wrote: "In all my years in the fire service, I have never seen so much 'on the scene' violence in the workplace, unprofessionalism and [disobedience] from other firefighters. How can we do our jobs when we have to look over our shoulders and worry about someone shutting off our air supply, ripping off our face pieces and helmets, and other unsafe acts?"

Volunteer firefighters from other stations that responded to the fire reported similar problems with the Kentland crew. The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department tells 9 News it is cooperating with the investigation.
    It's a sad day in the fire service if this actually happened.
    If our fire department were to engage in this type of behavior, I would lock the door and give the key to our neighboring department.
    So, does this happen alot out there?
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com
    Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
    RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Firedan38
    Why is there such a hate between vollies and career?...arent we all on the same team?....just because someone gets a paycheck for doing what others do for free does that give someone the right to cause harm to them?.....Come on guys it the Freakin 21st century for gods sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    We don't!
    Seems to be somewhat geographical, if you ask me.
    Harv: glad to hear you are safe.
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

Forum Member

Angry Cant we all just get along?

Ok, right now everything is speculation since the media is involved (not that the media NEVER tells the story right the first time). However, if these allogations are true, than this is truly a sad day. Currently I am a member of the only volunteer fire company in my county. We have a great working relationship with all the departments around us. Yeah, every now and then as a vollie some guy who's ego is bigger than his brain says something or us out of line, that is where the chief and the officers of the department get involved. In other words, be who you are...a firefighter....work with your department and others and get over it! We all do the same job paid or volunteer!

Forum Member

I think you are on to something Art. I never felt my life was in danger while I was in the Clover firehouse....And I was outnumbered !
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdemarse
    Which brings me to the question of

If they get as many fires as they say they do, why in the hell do they need to pull this crap?

There is NO excuse for this.
    Honestly, I'd expect that crap here. We see very little fire duty, and when we do, it's usually pretty good. I have fought to get the nozzle once or twice, but I usually give it up after I operate for a few seconds. I'll try to give it to a younger guy to let them get some expreience on the knob, afterwards I'll apologize.

VinnieB, classic NYC attitude.....I LOVE IT!
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Ironsman 53 and to all the others....

I do appoligize...you're right I did not have my facts 100% clear. After I went back and read the posted link on the 2000 Incident I stand corrected.

I'm hearing tid-bits of information from this latest bunch of PG County Drama and originally understood that Kentland was the culprit parked on Bladenburg's supply line....{I learned this through personal contacts with in the PGFD who of course got their stories wrong.}

Now I know that there are problems with in the PGFD between administration, volunteers, and the career personnel my question is why ? why violence on the fire scenes ? why is some idiot turning off brother firefighters air packs and mearley ending up with a suspension ? - That's grounds for dismissal ! Can anyone from the PGFD elaborate here as to why this department has more drama than a soap oprea ? and what's up with DCFD treating the PG guys like sh** ? I thought they had a pretty decent working relationship.

FIGJAM

It's a sad day in the fire service if this actually happened.
    If our fire department were to engage in this type of behavior, I would lock the door and give the key to our neighboring department.
    Aint that the truth.....
    Luke

MembersZone Subscriber

I am nearly speachless. What an incredibly humiliating situaiton for all fire fighters.

Some words pop into mind...

Spoiled
    Prima Donna
    Idiot
    Psycho
    Mis guided
    Dilusional
    Incompetent
    Outrageous
    Fired
    Turf War
    Customer Service

Apply where necceary.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

This in unexusable behavioir tottally unsafe and very unprofessional especially while either tamporing or removing safety equipment while inside a burning structure all involved party's should be terminated for there actions

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53
    This my friends is another case of jumping on someone without having your facts straight:

Wow... It turns out that you are wrong and it was a Kentland member who was assaulted on a previous fire.

Also, why are you assuming that it was Kentland that parked on the hose? A Chief Officer from a neighboring department stated in another forum that it was in fact BLADENSBURG TRUCK 9 THAT PARKED ON THE HOSE. I am sure it was a mistake. They had snow on the ground and maybe he didn't see the line. I am not going to jump to conclusions and will be giving him the benefit of the doubt unlike many of you who are already blaming the wrong department.

If indeed there were inapropriate actions done then the appropriate parties shall be delt with harshly. But please guys don't jump to conclusions and condemn fellow firemen without getting all of the facts...

BTW, no I am not a Kentland member nor a Kentland wannabe. In fact I have several friends that come from their neighboring departments in PG county including one of the ones mentioned in the article. So don't try to play that angle on me.

Here is the article about the previous assault:

Kentland Volunteer Firefighter Assaulted on Working Fire

On Wednesday, November 1, while responding to an incident for a reported
    fire in the basement, a Kentland Volunteer Firefighter was struck in the
    face, in an unprovoked attack by a career PGFD technician assigned to
    Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department (Co. 9).

The Kentland volunteer firefighter, who was responding as the OIC on
    Engine 331, arrived just behind Bladensburg FD to witness a career
    Officer (Lieutenant) entering the building without protection of a hose
    line, while the driver, who was not wearing personal protective
    equipment (PPE), pulled a shoulder load from Engine 91.

There was heavy black smoke coming from the basement of the house. The
    Firefighter from Kentland, in full PPE, positioned himself in the
    doorway of the house and attempted to pick up the nozzle and hose which
    the driver deposited on the front step of the house. After picking up
    the hose line, the Kentland firefighter felt the driver tugging back on
    the hose line, attempting to pull it from the hands of the Kentland
    firefighter. Recognizing the urgency of the situation, the Kentland
    firefighter tugged back.

At this point, the driver hit the Kentland firefighter in the face,
    dislodging a tooth, and knocking the firefighter backwards down a flight
    of stairs into the basement, which was the source of the heavy black
    smoke. Landing at the bottom of the stairs, dazed and bruised with a
    contusion around his left eye, the Kentland firefighter donned his mask
    and attempted to locate the Career Lieutenant in the dense black smoke.
    After establishing the safety of the Lieutenant, the Kentland
    firefighter located the source of the fire and proceeded to ventilate
    the room. Shortly thereafter a hoseline was advanced to the basement.

After collecting his crew, the Kentland firefighter reported the
    incident to the Battalion Chief and Chief 33A who were in command. Both
    the Kentland firefighter and the career technician have been suspended
    from fire department operations, with the career firefighter being
    assigned to light duties in the county operations center. Criminal
    charges have been filed against the career technician, and the Prince
    George's County Fire Department is reportedly conducting an internal
    review of the incident. The Kentland firefighter remains on suspension
    at this time.

The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department deplores the actions of the
    career technician on this incident. His actions could have resulted in
    the serious injury or even death of one of our members, and placed the
    life of the other career and volunteer firefighters at risk, by delaying
    the rapid placement of the hose line. The career technician who
    assaulted our member has a history of discipline problems, and attempted
    two days early to provoke a fight with another Kentland member on a
    separate call. This Department is extremely concerned about this
    incident, and is aggressively following up on both the criminal and
    departmental actions that are currently in progress.

We are further concerned about the increased tensions and hostility
    exhibited by paid members of the PGFD which have become evident since
    the IAFF passed Local 1619's "Resolution 43" designating this department
    and the other volunteer departments in Prince George's County as "rival
    organizations."

It has become evident that since the passage of "Resolution 43" a
    hostile workplace has been created while operating on calls with career
    firefighters.

Verbal harassment by career firefighters and support personnel has
    become a daily occurrence, culminating in this attack on one of our
    members. The PGFD leadership has not taken any steps to resolve or
    mitigate this hostile climate, and has to a degree condoned it by
    failing to address the attitude of Local 1619's members.

The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department is working aggressively to ensure
    that this specific incident is resolved promptly so that no other
    volunteers are put at risk. We urge the County leadership to promptly
    address the hostile attitude that has developed following the passage of
    resolution 43.

Sorry...but that is just the most ridiculously "cleaned up" horse sh*t I have ever read...from any angle.

"Realizing the urgency of the situation...he tugged back"

"Establishing the safety of the Lt"

Good GAWD...give me a break.

MembersZone Subscriber

WTF is Resolution 43 and how did it bring about psychotic wackers having tug o wars with attack lines on fire senes?

Who the hell really knows what happened here...and seriously, who cares.

It sounds like the area has much bigger problems then this single incident.
    -Brotherhood: I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
    -Mistakes: It could be that the purpose of you life is to serve as a warning to others.

-Adversity: That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

-Despair: Its always darkest before it goes Pitch Black.

Forum Member

I always wonder why when PGFD is talked about it circles the drain ? This behavior (if it did occur) is sad and wrong. It makes you wonder how big and bad Kentland is ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

I like this, right from Kentlands website, gallery, Pg. 2

Leather Helmet...400.00

150' of 1-1/2" hose....325.00

New Wagon...360,000.00

When KENTLAND comes to your first due and puts the fire out......Priceless

What it doesn't say is how they accomplish it. I've lost all respect for Kentland over this.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile And................

I'm Back. Thanks for the emails. Seriously, I have no comment on this situation at this time. To answer a question about how all these Companies got there at once, here's how: PGFD has almost 50 stations serving a population of approx. 850,000 over a 430 Sq mile area. 2 stations are fully career, with no Volunteer involvement in the operation of those stations. 6 stations are completely Volunteer. The others have varying degrees of Volunteer/Career involvement in their operation. (My station has 4 Fulltime people weekdays, 0700 to 1500. Volunteers cover the rest of the time.) The County government is the local governing body in Fire/Rescue/EMS matters. Maryland has always kept local political areas (Towns) out of the Fire Service in order to provide the best coverage to everyone. Apparatus and Stations are owned by the Volunteers (2/3) or by the County (1/3). A Fire station is "First Due" to everything that it is closest to. The 2nd closest station is 2nd due, Etc. Etc. All stations are dispatched thru a central countywide dispatching center. A structure Fire gets 4 Engines, 2 Ladder Trucks, a Heavy Rescue, and a Battalion Chief. This may involve apparatus from 5 or 6 stations. Career Battalion Chiefs cover all battalions on Daywork, with B/Cs on shiftwork in 3 Battalions, 4 other Battalions have Volunteer Battalion Chiefs covering nights and weekends. There are Division Chiefs Also, some career and some Volunteer. (2 Divisions, North and South, and 7 Battalions. Division 1 North Side is Battalions 1,2,4,and 6. Division 2 South is Battalions 3,5, and 7.) We don't refer to anything as "Mutual Aid" unless we're talking about Out of County Apparatus or runs. Believe it or not, this system works. We consistently get 35 people on a box alarm, a 2 alarm Structure Fire can go as high as 75 -80 people on the Fireground. Any more Questions, I'll try to help. My last thing is that in my 47 years here, I haven't been party to any of these problems. There have been a few incidents over the years, but FEW is the keyword. This one will be thoroughly investigated, and discipline WILL be provided. The rest of us here in PG deserve nothing less as well.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Ok...first of all....If it was the Truck company that ran over a line outside....SOMEONE F*CKED UP. Whether it was the ECC who didnt move the line to the side of the road to leave room for the truck, or whether the truck was just purely positioned, someone is at fault. "accidents" such as this SHOULD NOT happen on firegrounds, especially in an area with so much fire duty. That being said, (politically incorrect statement coming up)....If i was operating a hoesline inside, and I lost water because of someones incompetence....THEY ARE GONNA CATCH A BEATING. (And no, Im not saying this happened, just speaking in generalities.)

Forum Member

pardon but for some reason i seemed to have lost my password so i had to reregister... let me just say if this ever happened on my dept. not only would you have to deal with the platoon deputy and the junk that comes along for years after for having been involved in such nonsence ,, but there would be a signifacant *** kicking instilled upon somebody for acting in such a way on an active fireground.... this is nothing short of mindboggling to any firefighter worth his salt........... a couple of idiots completely tarnished the reputation of an entire dept. shamefull...

Forum Member

Simply inexcusable. Not much else to say.

Forum Member

All I can say is, unf@$kinbelievable!!!!!

I'm glad our mutual aid dept's work very well together, there a combination of both full time, and volly's.

If anything such as this happened on our fireground, responsible party's involved would get a one way ticket to jail straight from the scene, do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars. Also for the kicker, they would NEVER be a firefighter in this state again!!!

I can not begin to fathom the shame that this would bring upon the Dept., family, friends.

MembersZone Subscriber

From the Kentland33 site:

There are two (2) separate incidents being brought out from this fire -
    Incident #1: This incident revolves around a Lieutenant from Kentland VFD, and a Deputy Chief and Captain from Bladensburg VFD. The incident stems from a Bladensburg truck parking on top of a Kentland attack hose line which was operating inside the house. The ensuing actions to remove the truck from the hose are the center of this portion of the investigation. As of this time the investigation has been completed and disciplinary actions are pending.

Incident #2: This incident revolves around allegations that while inside the fire building members from Kentland shut off air cylinders and ripped off protective equipment of firefighters fighting the fire.

The Kentland VFD denies these false allegations 100%, and we anxiously await the conclusion of this investigation to clear the names of both the Kentland VFD, and it’s members will be cleared of any wrong doing.

Also, please be aware that the information that is out right now is one sided. We at Kentland VFD are assisting and cooperating with the Prince Georges’ County Fire Department with their internal investigation.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEYLIKESIT
    I think you are on to something Art. I never felt my life was in danger while I was in the Clover firehouse....And I was outnumbered !
    Hey; Tyke was there to get your back!
    But you know, when I think of the quilt, I recall seeing volunteer and career patches in the same blocks. Geez; I hope it doesn't self-destruct!
    CR
    Visit www.iacoj.com

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.wusatv9.com/video/player.aspx?aid=28739&bw=
    Video capture of hoseline/truck incident
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

the 4-1-4

http://www.wusatv9.com/video/player.aspx?aid=28739&bw=
    Video capture of hoseline/truck incident

Completely embarrassing. Makes me glad I don’t work with these guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

So much for "brotherhood"

Forum Member

Hmmm, word FUBAR anyone?

Also...if my eyes don't deceive me, the outriggers are already out on that ladder...cripes, I think I'm even more confused after seeing the video 'cause nothing is making sense in this whole story, no matter how much you try to add up the stories from each side.

Forum Member

Default from todays news ...................

Investigation Into Firefighter Misconduct at Maryland Incident Begins
    Firefighters Deny Allegations of Gear Tampering Inside Burning House

Updated: 02-16-2006 09:58:16 PM
    LON SLEPICKA
    Firehouse.Com News

An incident at a house fire in Maryland February 13 has led to a firefighter's suspension and an investigation that could lead to criminal charges according to Prince George's County Fire/EMS Department spokesman Mark Brady.

The investigation involves sorting out reports of firefighters actions inside a dwelling with fire showing with accusations that air supplies were vandalized by other firefighters, and physical confrontations outside the dwelling between firefighters. It involves several volunteer fire companies and career firefighters stationed at those responding companies.

• Video: Watch Video of the Outside Incident

Brady indicated three companies, Kentland Station 33, Landover Hills Station 30 and Bladensburg Station 9, who were dispatched to the scene. When Truck 9 arrived at the scene it pulled over Company 33's supply line rendering it useless, Brady said. Because of that incident, a member of 33 came outside and confronted two members of 9 with pushing and shoving, he said.

What transpired inside the house is at the core of a bigger investigation. There are "pretty serious accusations of misconduct bordering on criminal activity as interpreted by some people ... meaning that in written statements provided by [firefighters] inside, there are allegations of air cylinder bottles were shut down or turned off and cutting off the amount of air to some people," Brady said.

Brady said the investigation will be concluded soon and at that point a decision will have to be made as to what happens next.

Kentland officials said the information being presented by the statements is false and 'one-sided', according to a statement posted on its site Thursday night.

"The Kentland VFD denies these false allegations 100%, and we anxiously await the conclusion of this investigation to clear the names of both the Kentland VFD and it’s members," the statement read. "We feel confident that will be cleared of any wrongdoing.

Three firefighters were suspended on the scene that night, one volunteer from Kentland and two from Bladensburg. But later that evening, the suspensions for the two from Bladensburg were rescinded, officials said.

Brady said Station 30 arrived at the scene first with 33 soon following. Career firefighters from 30 entered the house first with a charged line with volunteers from 33 close behind. Firefighters from 33 found the fire first but as Station 9 arrived and cut off water to 33's line, 30 moved into fight the fire. He did not think any of the firefighter confrontations caused further damage to the house.

Brady said a firefighter from 33 was so incensed by their shut down line that he aggressively approached other firefighters. But Brady said it was felt the cutting off of the water was accidental and that these things happen on the fire ground.

The Kentland firefighter remains suspended. "He violated the department's "violence in the workplace" policy and acknowledged his role in the activity and is currently suspended," Brady said.

Kentland officials said that part of the incident involved a Lieutenant from their station, as well as a Deputy Chief and Captain from Bladensburg were involved in that incident.

WUSA-TV9 reported that the firefighter is also a career firefigther in Washington, D.C.

Part of the investigation is sorting out who was operating on the fireground and inside the house and Brady said there were more then the acknowledged Stations 9, 30, and 33 on the scene.

"It will depend on how serious we find the results. The States Attorney may need to review the investigation," Brady said. "There is the potential for criminal charges coming out of all this."

"Firefighters doing that to other firefighters is totally unacceptable. We don't want to see it and we want to make sure it doesn’t happen again," Brady said.

On the Web site of IAFF Local 1619 Profession Firefighters Association that represents the career firefighters on the scene that night, a narrative suggested, "members from the Kentland station deliberately shut off their [other firefighters] air tanks and ripped off some of their [other firefighters] protective gear while they were attempting to extinguish the blaze. Both men sustained second degree burns and respiratory complications as a result of the altercation. Volunteer Fire Fighters from Bladensburg and Lanham alledgedly encountered a similar assault from members of Kentland during the same fire."

One of the injured firefighters wrote, "In all my years in the fire service, I have never seen so much 'on the scene' violence in the workplace, unprofessionalism and disobedience from other firefighters."

Kentland officials said the statement on the site would be their only public comment while the investigation continues, and that it is cooperating with the internal review.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 21 First ... 234567815 ... Last

Thread Information