Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53
    This my friends is another case of jumping on someone without having your facts straight:

Wow... It turns out that you are wrong and it was a Kentland member who was assaulted on a previous fire.

Also, why are you ASSuming that it was Kentland that parked on the hose? A Chief Officer from a neighboring department stated in another forum that it was in fact BLADENSBURG TRUCK 9 THAT PARKED ON THE HOSE. I am sure it was a mistake. They had snow on the ground and maybe he didn't see the line. I am not going to jump to conclusions and will be giving him the benefit of the doubt unlike many of you who are already blaming the wrong department.

If indeed there were inapropriate actions done then the appropriate parties shall be delt with harshly. But please guys don't jump to conclusions and condemn fellow firemen without getting all of the facts...

BTW, no I am not a Kentland member nor a Kentland wannabe. In fact I have several friends that come from their neighboring departments in PG county including one of the ones mentioned in the article. So don't try to play that angle on me.

Here is the article about the previous assault:

Kentland Volunteer Firefighter Assaulted on Working Fire

On Wednesday, November 1, while responding to an incident for a reported
    fire in the basement, a Kentland Volunteer Firefighter was struck in the
    face, in an unprovoked attack by a career PGFD technician assigned to
    Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department (Co. 9).

The Kentland volunteer firefighter, who was responding as the OIC on
    Engine 331, arrived just behind Bladensburg FD to witness a career
    Officer (Lieutenant) entering the building without protection of a hose
    line, while the driver, who was not wearing personal protective
    equipment (PPE), pulled a shoulder load from Engine 91.

There was heavy black smoke coming from the basement of the house. The
    Firefighter from Kentland, in full PPE, positioned himself in the
    doorway of the house and attempted to pick up the nozzle and hose which
    the driver deposited on the front step of the house. After picking up
    the hose line, the Kentland firefighter felt the driver tugging back on
    the hose line, attempting to pull it from the hands of the Kentland
    firefighter. Recognizing the urgency of the situation, the Kentland
    firefighter tugged back.

At this point, the driver hit the Kentland firefighter in the face,
    dislodging a tooth, and knocking the firefighter backwards down a flight
    of stairs into the basement, which was the source of the heavy black
    smoke. Landing at the bottom of the stairs, dazed and bruised with a
    contusion around his left eye, the Kentland firefighter donned his mask
    and attempted to locate the Career Lieutenant in the dense black smoke.
    After establishing the safety of the Lieutenant, the Kentland
    firefighter located the source of the fire and proceeded to ventilate
    the room. Shortly thereafter a hoseline was advanced to the basement.

After collecting his crew, the Kentland firefighter reported the
    incident to the Battalion Chief and Chief 33A who were in command. Both
    the Kentland firefighter and the career technician have been suspended
    from fire department operations, with the career firefighter being
    assigned to light duties in the county operations center. Criminal
    charges have been filed against the career technician, and the Prince
    George's County Fire Department is reportedly conducting an internal
    review of the incident. The Kentland firefighter remains on suspension
    at this time.

The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department deplores the actions of the
    career technician on this incident. His actions could have resulted in
    the serious injury or even death of one of our members, and placed the
    life of the other career and volunteer firefighters at risk, by delaying
    the rapid placement of the hose line. The career technician who
    assaulted our member has a history of discipline problems, and attempted
    two days early to provoke a fight with another Kentland member on a
    separate call. This Department is extremely concerned about this
    incident, and is aggressively following up on both the criminal and
    departmental actions that are currently in progress.

We are further concerned about the increased tensions and hostility
    exhibited by paid members of the PGFD which have become evident since
    the IAFF passed Local 1619's "Resolution 43" designating this department
    and the other volunteer departments in Prince George's County as "rival
    organizations."

It has become evident that since the passage of "Resolution 43" a
    hostile workplace has been created while operating on calls with career
    firefighters.

Verbal harassment by career firefighters and support personnel has
    become a daily occurrence, culminating in this attack on one of our
    members. The PGFD leadership has not taken any steps to resolve or
    mitigate this hostile climate, and has to a degree condoned it by
    failing to address the attitude of Local 1619's members.

The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department is working aggressively to ensure
    that this specific incident is resolved promptly so that no other
    volunteers are put at risk. We urge the County leadership to promptly
    address the hostile attitude that has developed following the passage of
    resolution 43.

Did that come from 33's website?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

No, it came from another forum. I am unsure of the original source.

It may have originated from the Kentland website, but I remember talking with different people from surrounding departments about that incident and the series of events portrayed in the article are factual.
    Last edited by IronsMan53; 02-16-2006 at 09:28 AM.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by NDeMarse
    Oh yeah, let me run right down and join! I'll see if I can get my "next best thing to Kentland" shirts made up today! I am sure the guys in my house will go right for it! Everyone wants to be like you guys, don't let ANYONE fool you!
    I've never even heard of kentland except for here. Who cares who they are? If this kentland place wants some "next best thing to Chicago" T-shirts let me know,and I'll have some made. Until then keep pating yourselves on the back.
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

IronsMan53, so this seems as if it's an ongoing fight between Bladensburg and Kentland then?

I am sure it was a mistake. They had snow on the ground and maybe he didn't see the line.
    Any driver should be able to spot the appratus so it never happens, weather is no excuse.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    IronsMan53, so this seems as if it's an ongoing fight between Bladensburg and Kentland then?

Any driver should be able to spot the appratus so it never happens, weather is no excuse.
    Yeah, it does seem that way. Like I said... I'm not involved, I just have some friends in the area. I don't want to comment about anything else going on. I just wanted to set a few things straight.

You're right about the apparatus spotting, but I still want to give the guy the benefit of the doubt that it was an accident until we hear otherwise.

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    I've never even heard of kentland except for here.
    That's because your not a wannabe hero from the sticks like so many guys I know who worship certain PGFD departments like they were Ra the Sun God. While it would be nice to see that much fire duty as a vollie, I wouldn't want to ever fight it with some of these mutts.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

Cool

This happend once on Long Island. We were hanging arond the tiki bar in our cashmere suits discussing budgets when...............

At least we are professional when the alarm bell sounds.
    Last edited by FD1976; 02-16-2006 at 09:28 AM. Reason: spelling

Sorry I'm late, you know some of us have to work once in a while.
    While I haven't read all of the venomous posts, I get the gist of what is going on. I have heard about this whole PG thing for years, alot of the horror stories from down their sound earilly similar to the bad old days in the Boro of Churches, I wonder why. War stories taken out of context, becoming gospel to adoring buffs who then apply said practice to operations.
    Kentland (aka Buffland, SCABland, LIDland...) is (to an outsider) a joke what "volunteer" department lets members live several states away? Come on now! The volunteer fire departments that have helped make this country what it is today were about members of the community serving the community in which they live. If you live in Pennslytuckey or NY stay the f--k home and help YOUR community.
    The students who live in are a different story (student being, one who is enrolled in and attending courses at a college and finishes earning a degree) the firehouse live in thing is a good opportunity for the student and the volunteer company. However the buff live in thing is ridiculous, if your company can't keep members without providing them with a home maybe you shouldn't have kicked the paid guys out. As for the FDNY guys who are dumb enough to volly in PGFD, you career guys down there should take care of them, fax a list up to the UFA and the IAFF, they are not helping thier community they are f--king other union firefighters.
    As for the BULL****E on the fireground these guys are a F--KING disgrace they should be kicked the F--K out of the department (after they get out of the hospital). JMHO as always

MembersZone Subscriber cdemarse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pfd4life
    That's because ..... While it would be nice to see that much fire duty as a vollie, I wouldn't want to ever fight it with some of these mutts.

Which brings me to the question of

If they get as many fires as they say they do, why in the hell do they need to pull this crap?

There is NO excuse for this.
    "Train as if your life depends on it"
    Always Remember *343*

Thats the best you got Tillerman? If making fun of a bunch of alledged grownups who flop at a firehouse when not at their regular jobs at a firehouse is being a Monday morning QB, then guilty as charged.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Exactly, if "Maryland's Burning" then wtf cares who beat who in, check your ego at the door and do your job, this is not he last fire that will ever happen. Apparently their is a job everytime you turn the corner so what if the other guy is there when you pull up, STFU and lighten up on the line!

MembersZone Subscriber

I look at it this way...if someone turns off a bottle or assults another FF in my department, regardless of career or volly, they are gone. Period. Plain and simple. My department does not put up with BS like that. We face enough hazards as it is.

I will not sit here and act like I know what is going on up there or act like I know the people involved. However, to me it is simple...CHAIN OF COMMAND. The "first-in" is command. They get to give assignments and those on the fireground are to follow those orders (unless they are unsafe).

If the lineman blocked the door for the career guys or if the career guys tried to push the vollies out of the way, it DOESN'T matter...who had the assignment and who was freelancing?

Granted, they may be operating on different channels with little or no communication. That is a HUGE problem that needs resolved. But through working together, the officers on the apparatus should meet and determine who has command. Flip a coin for all I care.

Fail to do your assignment on my fireground and you will be asked to leave. Period. Playing cowboy on my fireground. Leave. We can ask questions later.

At the same time, if one of my automatic aid companies tried this crap on us, they would not be dispatched or turned around in route. I would rather work short-handed or let the fire burn as opposed to NEEDLESSLY risking harm to my crew.

When the tones drop, the pranks stop.

Which brings me to the question of

If they get as many fires as they say they do, why in the hell do they need to pull this crap?
    Iíve always had the opinion that, if you need to tell someone how much fire you fight, youíre really not fighting it.

There is NO excuse for this.

There is no excuse for this; I do not care what/who started it. Guys fighting rather than doing their job; that is all I see happening here. No justification for anyone involved, period.
    Last edited by jasper45; 02-16-2006 at 10:16 AM.

IronsMan53,

You refered to another forum where this is being discussed. What is that forum I would be interested in hearing other views/side of story on this incident.
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

Quote Originally Posted by NDeMarse
    Reinforcing my theory

***Sarcasm Alert*** Oh yeah, let me run right down and join! I'll see if I can get my "next best thing to Kentland" shirts made up today! I am sure the guys in my house will go right for it! Everyone wants to be like you guys, don't let ANYONE fool you! ***Sarcasm Complete***

OH OH OH!!!!! MEEEEE TOOO!!! Nate can you pick up sixty for me too!!!! I think the guys in my house would love them! We want to wear them and take turns beating off to thier website.....

But honestly....I wouldn't even give these guys the opportunity to smell my coat........

Stay Safe out there.......
    Last edited by VinnieB; 02-16-2006 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Station2Capt
    IronsMan53,

You refered to another forum where this is being discussed. What is that forum I would be interested in hearing other views/side of story on this incident.
    The Watch Desk

I PM'd you a direct link to the thread.

MembersZone Subscriber

There are crap jobs on every fire, from traffic control to water supply to running rehab. But the fact of the matter is that EVERY job is necessary. If you have to be first in on the pipe every time then this probably isn't the job for you cause that's just not reality. Sometimes you get the good job, sometimes you don't, it's the nature of what we do because every call is different. The East Coast must be different but here in the middle of the country nobody cares if you're paid or volly. We work together to accomplish what needs to be done on a scene. No questions, no arguments, no fights.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VinnieB

But honestly....I wouldn't even give these guys the opportunity to smell my coat.......
    Man, I'm lucky I had just finished my last carrot or I would have spewed orange confetti on my screen. Dang, that's funny. Need to log that one in.

Forum Member

In before the Lock:
    Kentland Captain again offers "spanking" to PGFD members:

hehe

MembersZone Subscriber

ha so was she "blocking the door"
    Troutville Volunteer Fire Department
    www.tvfd.org

Thread Information