Forum Member

Angry Fighting On The Fireground!

Originally Posted by NBC4.com
    LANDOVER HILLS, Md. -- Three volunteer firefighters have been suspended for allegedly getting into a fight while battling a fire in Prince George's County.

County fire spokesman Mark Brady said volunteers from three companies, Landover Hills, Kentlands and Bladensburg, responded to a fire Monday morning in the 6900 block of Standish Drive in Landover Hills.

Brady said one of the volunteers parked a fire truck on the hose of another company, setting off the fight which apparently was caught on tape.

Three volunteer firefighters, two from the Bladensburg Fire Company and one from Kentlands, were suspended. Officials said the firefighters were "pushing and shoving" each other outside the burning house. The fire department is investigating the incident.

Brady also said the fire department is investigating an allegation of another scuffle inside the house where two career firefighters suffered minor burns.

The fire was extinguished in a timely fashion, according to officials. There were no other injuries.

The blaze was caused by an unattended candle and caused about $30,000 in damage.

More posts to come !!!! One of the GODS OF FIREFIGHTING decided they would disable another firefighter's SCBA during a working fire. Criminal charges are pending. It's about time the media exposed what is going on in Prince George's County.
    Last edited by firefx; 02-14-2006 at 09:09 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

The days of the plug thugs come to mind.

Forum Member

I can see this happening at my department. Why is it the guys who are 5'5, 135lbs are the tough guys?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefx
    More posts to come !!!! One of the GODS OF FIREFIGHTING decided they would disable another firefighter's SCBA during a working fire. Criminal charges are pending. It's about time the media exposed what is going on in Prince George's County.
    Okay, which PGFD company are you with? I assume when you speak of the "gods of firefighting" that you talk of Kentland 33. Those members who began the fight will be dealt with as they should be I'm sure. Though the engineer of the piece that parked on the line should know better, even a probie knows you don't park a 60,000# engine on a line.

E229Lt, my thoughts exactly......NOW WHO HAS THE BARREL!!
    Last edited by hfd66truck; 02-27-2006 at 03:43 PM.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Brass does not equal brains.

Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the ability to control it.

Forum Member

I work for PGFD and live in Prince George's County. WHAT STATION ARE YOU FROM in PG County?, or are you on of the disciples, ride-alongs or a wanna-be that lives in the far reaches of Maryland, Virginia, 0r Pennsyltucky that want to ride with a suburburban Fire Dept., get a T-shirt and talk SH*T about people in what you call a ghetto .

Forum Member

Default Drama

I think they should post it on their web sites. Seems to me every room and contents fire in some crappy suburban shack or car crash turns into an exciting story of daring deeds. I know the self -proclaimed "best fire department in the world" needs to defend its honor when trampled upon. Hell, I never even heard of these places pre-Resolution 43. The shameless self promotion that is displayed by my fellow IAFF "Brothers" (the 2 hatters that LIVE in a firehouse for Gods sake) is not only amusing, but downright entertaining. Here's a news flash. There are other places in this country that are busy. They just happen to be comfortable enough with their manhood that they dont need to whip it out online, or even more amusing/pitiful...A VIDEO
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Thanks MIKEY. Another fact is two firefighters(Union Members L1619 ) suffered burns that may be related to the actions(the fight inside the house
    ) of fellow firefighter.
    Last edited by firefx; 02-17-2006 at 07:56 PM.

Forum Member

Default Courtesy of kentland33.com

FIRE SHOWING FROM LANDOVER HILLS HOUSE
    2/13/2006 -
    At 0030 hours, Engine 334, Tower Ladder 33 and Chief 33 (Mattison) were dispatched to 6908 Standish Drive, in Landover Hills, for the house on fire. Initially, calls were flooding into the Prince Georges County 9-1-1 center, reporting that the kitchen was on fire at the above address. First arriving Engine 302 found fire showing from all windows on the first floor, side "B". Engine 334, with five volunteers, arrived, secured the water supply for Engine 302 and stretched a pre-connected back-up line. Once the Tower Ladder arrived with another five volunteers, they quickly went to work, performing a systematic search of the fire floor and floor above. After the main body of fire was knocked down, the Tower Ladder crew opened-up, secured utilities and performed a secondary search of the entire home. It is believed that the fire started due to unattended candles left in the kitchen area (due to a large power outage in the area). No civilian injuries were reported. One firefighter recieved minor burns to his wrist. Kentland Volunteers returned to service just before 0300 hours. Some of the volunteers still had not had solid sleep for almost 48 hours
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

There TACT was horrib;le.. it would have only been a ONE on ONE if someone just grabbed a haligan and married to the other guys neck... lol, just kidding..

Anyways,, there have been many times that I want to act out how I described against ONE impaticular member in my group. He thinks heknows it all, talks **** to others when were bull****ting, but clams the **** up when the apts around, and wants to the first one in...

His wqhole demeanor ius ridiculos....

Any stress relief on this one guys?

Forum Member

Default Same fire. Courtesy of BV9FD.COM

KITCHEN FIRE IN LANDOVER HILLS
    February 13, 2006- At 0030 hours Engine 92 and Truck 9 were alerted to 6908 Standish Drive for the house fire. Engine 302 arrived on the scene with fire showing. Truck 9 running as the third due, arrived first and started searching the first floor. Engine 92 arrived one street over and ran a line to the top floor. The fire was knocked down in 5 minutes. Company cleared at 0200.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

Some of the volunteers still had not had solid sleep for almost 48 hours
    *sniff, sniff*....poor widdle fellers.

Forum Member

So the question is... Who REALLY put the fire out ?
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I"m sure the career guys did not sleep that night in the county (Over 800 Calls for the Fire Dept. in the county during that time). Hope they got back in time to get to their stations in D.C..

Forum Member

I work for PGFD and live in Prince George's County. WHAT STATION ARE YOU FROM in PG County?, or are you on of the disciples, ride-alongs or a wanna-be that lives in the far reaches of Maryland, Virginia, 0r Pennsyltucky that want to ride with a suburburban Fire Dept., get a T-shirt and talk SH*T about people in what you call a ghetto .
    WOAH! Easy bro, I wasn't calling you out in any form, I was just curious. What you posted, NOT the article, sounded as if it stems from jealousy, not saying it does, just reads that way to me, calm down. Now firstly, if you read my sig, I'm from WI not Maryland, though I do have friends out that way(not from the companies you've mentioned). Secondly, are there large issues/fights/bad blood between companies in PG-county? Lastly, if a company, mine, yours, or whoever want to have the ego that they are the best, and there is no-one better, fine. Nothing wrong with having the ego, but you must be able to maintain it, and be able to back it up. Ego's are what cause things like this, but it's also what forms brotherhood in some places. Look at the FDNY and how many houses have gained names, or likenesses because of things they've done or do, where they are, or the action they see? It makes this job what it is. I'm not defending anyone, especially when a brother(s) is(are) injured. This will work itself out, and hopefully will improve what you portray to be an ugly situation in PG-County.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Forum Member

Sorry pfd4life, I've worked in the county for nearly 20 years. PGFD was once respected , now we are a joke . Our leadership(paid and volunteer) have let the department get out of control. My reactions are the same I have to use at work, sad to say .

Forum Member

Firemen Burned In Fight At Scene

Related Video
    Gary Reals reports

E-mail This Story
    Printable Version
    Questions or Comments?
    Get wusa9.com Web Feeds
    Download our video to your computer and video iPod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Written By 9 News
    Created:2/14/2006 10:23:00 PM
    Last Updated:2/14/2006 10:42:42 PM

9 News has learned an investigation is underway into why Prince George's County Firefighters were fighting more than fires early Monday morning.

Departmental reports obtained by 9 News include claims by two career firefighters that someone deliberately shut off their air tanks and ripped off some of their protective gear while they fought the house fire on Standish Drive in Landover Hills.

The two firefighters, assigned to the Landover Hills station, received first and second degree burns. The reports claim that firefighters from the all-volunteer Kentland Station got into a battle over who was going to put out the fire.

One of the burned men, Captain John O'Brien wrote: "In all my years in the fire service, I have never seen so much 'on the scene' violence in the workplace, unprofessionalism and [disobedience] from other firefighters. How can we do our jobs when we have to look over our shoulders and worry about someone shutting off our air supply, ripping off our face pieces and helmets, and other unsafe acts?"

Volunteer firefighters from other stations that responded to the fire reported similar problems with the Kentland crew. The Kentland Volunteer Fire Department tells 9 News it is cooperating with the investigation.

Prince George's County Fire Department spokesman Mark Brady says an internal investigation is underway. Brady confirms that one of three firefighters involved in a related fight outside the burning home is on operational suspension.

The chief of the Bladensburg Volunteer Fire Department believes the allegations and attacks are serious enough to warrant a criminal investigation.

http://www.wusatv9.com/video/player.aspx?aid=28639&bw=
    Last edited by firefx; 02-14-2006 at 10:51 PM.

Forum Member

Sorry pfd4life, I've worked in the county for nearly 20 years. PGFD was once respected , now we are a joke . Our leadership(paid and volunteer) have let the department get out of control. My reactions are the same I have to use at work, sad to say .
    Hey, you don't need to apologize to me for anything. Trust me I know what it's like to be in a department that could be great, but you end up having a few bad apples give you a black eye. Again, hopefully this will work itself out, and the morons who do these things get dealt with accordingly.
    FF/NREMT-B

FTM-PTB!!

Forum Member

Default When firefighters attack

Thats one of the most heart-warming news pieces I have seen in a very long time
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

MembersZone Subscriber

What the.....
    Fighting? Gear tampering? Is this what the fire service has been reduced to?

I am not directing this to PGFD, but to the fire service in general. I keep hearing and reading more and more of these types of incidents occuring on the fireground and in the station house and one question keeps coming to mind....Where the hell is the company officer?

I do not understand any of this. It is very discouraging. As a company officer, I would like to think that I have impressed upon my men and women that good character, personal integerity and professional ownership is paramount. Volunteer or career...it does not matter. We are all a part of the fire service. Where is the Pride & Ownership?

Firefx,
    I hope that this gets fixed soon and that your work environment improves. I also hope that any officer worth their salt will look at this and use it as a good example of what not to do.

HNFC FF/President

i thought we were all on the same team here, with the same goal/purpose in mind. I could never imagine someone from one of my mutual aid companies turning off my SCBA or tampering with my gear. That is just sad, hope what should happen happens in this matter.

Stay Safe!
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Holy *****.

Where's HWoods.... Chief, any insight on this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mdoddsjffhnfc
    i thought we were all on the same team here, with the same goal/purpose in mind. I could never imagine someone from one of my mutual aid companies turning off my SCBA or tampering with my gear. That is just sad, hope what should happen happens in this matter.

Stay Safe!
    You can't imagine it?

One of my buddies is a live in down in PG County. An un-named station turned off his bottle, broke the strap to his helmet, and stole the line just so they could kick him off the line. This isn't anything new, and was part of the reason why we didn't go to certain places..

Have heard multiple instances of those same events too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThNozzleMan
    Why? Because we are firemen. We are decent human beings. We would be compelled by the overwhelming impulse to save an innocent child from a tragic, painful death because in the end, we are MEN.

I A C O J
    FTM-PTB

Honorary Disclaimer: While I am a manufacturer representative, I am not here to sell my product. Any advice or knowledge shared is for informational purposes only. I do not use Firehouse.Com for promotional purposes.

HNFC FF/President

damn, that is some messed up stuff. I've never heard of that level of crap in my area; i'm not sayin that smaller stuff doesn't happen, but that **** goin on in PG county is childish BS. I'm sorry, but i guess they forgot about the "team work" aspect of the service, whether it be workin wit the guys from your station or from other stations.

Stay Safe
    Firefighter, Volunteering since Oct 2001

CCFA 05-04, best overall class for 2005
    "GOOD GAME!"

Forum Member

Default Stupid Punks

Sounds like you all have a bunch of stupid, childish punks down there. My suggestion is to grow the F*&@ up and show some professionalism. If you idiots keep going the way you are someone is going to loose a life. Thanks for helping add to the possibly of an LODD. All I can say is good thing Im not running your fire ground!

MembersZone Subscriber

I only hope that these allegations are being blown out of proportion. We all know how "acurate" the news is with their information. Sounds like a lot of bad blood there... I only hope that know would do anything like that.
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Thread Information