Thread: Tax Season!

Forum Member

Default Tax Season!

With tax season upon us, I figured I would start a thread inquiring about what and how you deduct, if any, expenses for the fire department? State or Federal? Deduct gas? Equipment? Time?

Forum Member

being a volunteer i can deduct all mileage, going to and from firehouse for meetings, fire calls etc but iv been told you need alot to make it worth your while, so i dont bother. ask your taxpreparer unless you use turbo tax and im sure theres a place to put it, i have a cpa do mine but mine are complicated.

Good Luck

NOTHINGS ILLEGAL UNTIL YOU GET CAUGHT!
    HEHE

MembersZone Subscriber

Mileage, clothing, expenses, meals eaten while on duty, class costs you pay, hotel expenses for OOT training.

Forum Member

i must be lucky my vollie department pays for everything execpt for the close i wear and mileage.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PFDFIREDOG
    being a volunteer i can deduct all mileage, going to and from firehouse for meetings, fire calls etc but iv been told you need alot to make it worth your while, so i dont bother. ask your taxpreparer unless you use turbo tax and im sure theres a place to put it, i have a cpa do mine but mine are complicated.

Good Luck

NOTHINGS ILLEGAL UNTIL YOU GET CAUGHT!
    HEHE
    If you already itemize it is worth it, if you are not a home owner and just take the standard deduction, it will most likely not add up to enough to make it worth it. I am adding it all up, it will knock my tax bill down $500 or so.
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

I am a home owner (well, I am paying my mortgage holder so that I can someday own it!), so I do the long form. I keep track of my mileage to calls, training and meetings. I dededuct any equipment I persoanlly buy that I use at the fire department including gloves, hand tools, emergency lighting, etc. If your department requires that you have a telephone, you can use the basic phone service expense as a deduction. If you pay to clean your uniforms (turnouts are included in that definition) you can use that as a deduction. Any professional magazines or training books you purchase can be used as a deduction. If your Fire Association is a non-profit organization, you can figure any donations, or 'in kind' donations to be tax deductible.

That is all I can think of at 0230 hrs... I am sure there are more. I use Turbo Tax and it does a nice job in helping me find all of my potential deductions.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Forum Member

I'm going to have to pay more attention to this cause it doesn't hurt to get the most out of our government,

Forum Member

My department makes it very simple. They award us $1.50 for each call we attend for the year, then cut us a check every January. Therefore we don't have to worry about FD stuff with our taxes

Thread Information