Thread: New firefighter

Forum Member

Default New firefighter

I know this should probably go in the probie forum, but I wanted to say HI to everyone. I just got hired on part time at my local FD and start my training tommorrow. I can't wait.

Ben

Forum Member

Good luck and Congrats bmccoy, listen to your Officer and the other more experiecned FF's in your dept. You are starting a career in the greatest field there is. By the way what part of the Country?
    A "Good" fire is not measured by how big it is, but by the fact that everyone is going home safe, and that we possibly learned something new about firefighting. Member:IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Welcome to the service. As the Capt stated...listen to those officers assigned to you and learn from the advise that they and the other crusties will pass along. Take pride in your job and do it well. Good luck.

Forum Member

I am in Nashville Tn. I will definately take pride in my job and I am very willing to learn. This is something that I have wanted to do since I can remember, and I am now 26 years old. I appreciate the kind words. Thanks guys.

Ben

Forum Member

Good luck with your new career and always be safe.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Nashville

My mother and some other relatives live in and around Nashville. I make it down there once a year or so, and it's a fun city. I don't know anyone on the job there (yet). Congratulations and best of luck.

Forum Member

First of all Congrats and welcome to the fire service Im sure with dedication and a drive to learn and help you will be a prime example of what the fire service is about that being said if i may give you once peice of advice and im sure they will drill this into during training also

Remember when the alarm goes in you are responding to help another person its not your emergency so dont make yourself a victim.

Good luck and stay safe
    Our Family Protecting Yours

Forum Member

Default Lt. Norbert I. Zarand

Hi all

I'm a Hungaryan firefighter since 1995. I'm married, I've got 2 children.I was born in 1976.01.24. I
    I want to be an American firefighter, this is my dream.
    I just wanna happy life to my family, and work in the USA, anywhere...
    What must I do?? What can I do?? Please help me somebody...
    zarandn@tuzoltosagbp.hu

Forum Member

Budapest is a FUN city. I wish I new how to help you but I love your town!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

Forum Member

Thanks Chicago FF
    I know Budapest is a wery nice town, and here are my friends, and my firefighter brothers....But need a better life for my children!!
    At the last 10 years I learnt , and ' was so many on duty in here
    (24/48 hours) I think it was 1000 duty
    But the next 2000, hope will at the US!!!
    Bye..Norbert

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats bro and welcome to the fire service. What department did you get on at?

Forum Member

Thanks everybody for the kind and helpful words. I actually was finally able to get on at Goodletsville as a part timer. I have been riding with them for about a year and a half.

Ben

Forum Member

I went and worked for about 6 hours today and had my first major event. I mean I had stuff on my rides in emt school, but this was different. We had a rollover on I-65 north and it was bad. The girl that was driving got out somewhat OK. She was standing by the gaurd rail when we got there, so most of the immediate attention went to her mother who was trapped. The car was upside down. We were able to get in through the driver side of the vehicle, but she was too far gone. The vehicle had landed mostly on the passenger side which is where her mother was. She had a major head injury where the roof caved on her. When we got her out she was asystoly (spelling?) We then boarded the daughter and tried to keep her from knowing that her mom was gone. Sorry about the long post, I just felt the need to talk about it.

Ben

MembersZone Subscriber

Ben this is Chris. Thanks again. The chaplain stoped by after he spoke with the driver. He said that she had a cracked vertebra but was treated with meds and released. Hell of a first day brother.

Forum Member

I hear ya man. Was the crack in her neck or down in her back where she was hurting?

Ben

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well.....................

Ben, Heck of a first day, and there will be some more from time to time. Don't let the bad days ruin your outlook though, there will be some good days ahead as well. Best Wishes for a long and safe Career. You are in a really decent part of the world there, and I get to see it from time to time since I have a Son and Daughter-in-law living just south of Lebanon in Wilson County.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

back thank God.

Forum Member

Hell of a first day is true!!!! Do not give up I remember my first day as an emt-b on a private service. I was assinged to the medic unit i walk in the door and got a call right off the bat. we ran about 10 call before 8pm. i sat done about 8 to eat dinner when we got a report of a man hit by car. When we got on scene the people were pulling us out of the bus. They where yelling a gang member from the other gang ran the man (25yrold) over and drag him about 50 ft. we quickly board him and raced to the hospital. I was a little scared. We just back to the station when we got a call for a car wreck at the same intersection we were just at for a car into a pole. We get on scene this time the cops are there pulling us out of the bus the capt. run over and said you have about 2 mins to get this guy out of here it is the man who hit the other guy he drove back through and gave a gang war yell and saw the cop and tried to make a turn at about 55mph. He was uncon. in the car. The cop said other gang member were getting gun to kill him we need to get him out of there quick. we load him and here enroute to the hospital in less than 5 mins. When we got him to the hospital there were 15 cops there plus the locked down the er. I was so scared at the time. i was ready to quite but i stuck it out and am still working at the same place

Laways remember the number 1 rule scene safety

stay safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrat's me being 22 and young I know where your comign from , But luckily I finished my schooling 2 years ago.

1. Shutup and listen .

2. Never get frustrated and if you do take a few quick breaths sing a song and do it.

3.Never quit at all , I wrote this for my class " Though shall not quit for quiting is death."

4. Training is not out to kill you its out to make you and teach you to survive.

5. You have alot of schooling ahead of you , once you finish basic standards thats all it is BASIC standards . Be prepared for a very rewarding career and one you can always advance in.

6. You never know enough you just only know enough not to get hurt.

7. Best of luck to you , if you try hard and never quit and support everyhtign and everyone around you , you will earn what you want.
    " We are not extraordinary people , we are people caught in extraordinary situations. " Chapter 1 IFSTA Manual

Forum Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. I will never think about quitting, as I love this job too much. I know there will be a lot worse than what I saw, thats just the beginning. I am definately all about learning anything I can to help people and keep myself and other crew members safe.

Ben

Thread Information