Apparent Suicide Causes Evacuation In Manchester
12:58 PM EST, February 15, 2006
By REGINE LABOSSIERE, The Hartford Courant MANCHESTER -- A 55-year-old Manchester woman died early today and 13 occupants of her apartment building were evacuated because of high levels of carbon monoxide, fire and police officials said.

Police said the woman, Micheline St. Laurent, of 32 Charles Dr., Apt. D, was terminally ill and that her death appeared to be a suicide.

ADVERTISEMENT

Police said the case is under investigation and they are waiting the medical examiner's report for confirmation.

According to a fire department press release, St. Laurent's roommate found her in her car in the garage underneath the apartment building. The car was running and exposing the apartment building to carbon monoxide gas. The fire department arrived at 3:21 a.m. and found St. Laurent with no vital signs. She was transported to Manchester Memorial Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The press release said the apartment building has eight units and 13 occupants from those apartments were evacuated. The units were found to have high levels of carbon monoxide and the fire department ventilated the units to lower the poisonous levels.

St. Laurent's roommate was transported to Manchester Memorial Hospital for evaluation of carbon monoxide poisoning. The other occupants were evaluated at the scene.