MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by RescueSquad343
    So it would be better to state "We were across town fighting ANOTHER SUSCRIBERS fire"?

There needs to be some kind of better dispatch/mutual aid system in place if any department could not handle 2 calls at the same time in their district.
    Did you forget the non-subscriber is NOT in a district. So who calls whom for mutual aid?

Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF
    No, he lost it because HE was greedy. He did not pay for protection, he did not pay for insurance, he took a gamble and he lost. Simple. I'm sure you guys who disagree with the fd stand on this issue will be sending the property owner some of your hard earned money because he wouldn't spend any of his, right? Maybe you could stop paying your insurance and send the payments to him, because who likes paying their insurance bill anyway. Do you people drive uninsured? Do you have your property insured? Do you have life insurance? Medical insurance? Dental insurance? Drop it all and depend on the kindness of others, and when you have a problem tell me how far that gets you. One man's total lack of personal responsibility does not deserve one ounce of sympathy from me. I'm sure your checks are in the mail!

point taken. but why would anyone just stand there and watch a building burn? oh well, he didn't buy the insurance. his loss. i agree with you there. but about me sending my money...i will be honest. i am a minor. i only make about 30$ every two weeks for delivering papers. i wouldn't buy the fire insurance anyway...but that's just me. ways of funding a dept:
    fundraisers
    luncheons at the firehouse
    etc

i don't want to argue about it though...

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Angry Not Here.................

OK......... Drum Roll, Please........... GEORGE IS RIGHT!. What are WE going to do about it?? Well, for openers, Start on some legislative action. Parts of America are not going to do anything to make their circumstances better until they're forced into it. Maryland REQUIRES every County to have a 911 Call center and a Central Dispatch Center for Fire/Rescue/EMS. So why doesn't every County in Mo. do the same? Because no one is pushing for it. We wanted things, we went to work and got the stuff we needed. What we've done can be copied in 49 other States, people just need to get off their ***** and go work for it. Some other tidbits from here: Mutual Aid is not an option, you WILL give/receive mutual aid. Mutual Aid is set up on a distance basis, you ALWAYS get the CLOSEST Help, without any suprises. Training is FREE, provided by the State, and meeting all National Pro Board and NFPA standards. EMS is operated by the Fire Service, Private EMS Operators are restricted to Non-Emergency work. Volunteers get a State Income Tax Deduction. Every Volunteer is covered by the State's Workers Comp. System. There is a revolving Loan Program for VFDs to use to purchase Apparaus and buildings, with a Interest rate of 1% The list goes on, but the point is that you don't have to live like those who are the subject of this thread, you just have to get some backbone and fix the problem. To start fixing the problems, I'll be contacting some friends on Capitol Hill (The one in Washington DC) about requirements for minimum service guarantees at the Federal Level.
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

GFDSlappyRob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I know of a similar situation near me!!! The names of FD's will be left anonymous. Well there is city 100,000+ people just south of my and there is a little POC FD on there southeastern edge which is actually considered that city, but for political reason they have thier own FD. Well there is a station for the bigger city about 3 or 4 bolck form that little area and when that little area gets a fire they can see the flames most of the time, but cannot respond and have to wait to be dispatched. Now I understand the reaosn why it just reminded of a similar situtation!!!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakebty
    point taken. but why would anyone just stand there and watch a building burn? oh well, he didn't buy the insurance. his loss. i agree with you there. but about me sending my money...i will be honest. i am a minor. i only make about 30$ every two weeks for delivering papers. i wouldn't buy the fire insurance anyway...but that's just me. ways of funding a dept:
    fundraisers
    luncheons at the firehouse
    etc

i don't want to argue about it though...
    I wasn't picking on you specifically, you just had a post summerizing what others had said. I don't really expect anyone on here to send money to this guy, but it seems like everyone is in a generous mood when it comes to other peoples money. "They should have put it out - out of kindness" Where do you draw the line? Without funding there wouldn't be ANY fire protection in the area. They need gear, a firehouse, maintainance, fuel, electricity, water gas, etc. It isn't greed, but reality. Nothing is free in the world and you have to pay for things you want - including fire protection. I pay for mine through city taxes, they pay for theirs through subscription. We all pay for services, it's just a matter of how you collect it.

And about not wanting to argue....... Come on, arguing is fun!
    I am a complacent liability to the fire service

firefighter7160
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking Is it a crime...

We had sometype of the same thing around here. But never a fire. Medical all the time. Most vol. fire dept's around here dont have the equipment to handle medical calls. Even just yeasterday a vol. FD was paged out MVA. The acting officer told 911 over the radio that they could not respond. And that they did not do medical calls. Is this a crime. If the FD is paged out do they have to responded. And if they dont who do you charge. Can they be sued. Im sure that the FD that the thread is about can be sued. If that was my place, I would have sued. If they had manpower and equipment they need to put out the fire.

Forum Member

Talking arguing is fun.....sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoFF

And about not wanting to argue....... Come on, arguing is fun!

that's fine about now wanting to pick on me. like i said i'm young and what i say sometimes to ff's may make 'em mad so i imediatly go on the defensive.
    arguing is fun until you see your point is not going anywhere and you repeat everything you've already said. that's cool though. i wasn't picking on anyone in here either. yall have your opinion, i have mine. i won't judge you. now that all that is out of the way....

i can understand a department needs funding. why couldn't they put it out, then bill the guy later, like private ems?

Forum Member

also see the talkin goin on onver here >>> http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=78851
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Thread Information