Forum Member

Default HME oxidation warranty

We have a 2002 HME that has oxidation issues. In the first year we had some oxidation repair around the front wheel crowns that was repaired under warranty by our OEM. Here it is 2006 the same places have sprung up again along with a severe situation on a cab cross member. HME warranty for "oxidation" is 1 year and they will not repair the same spot twice and refuse to fix the cab oxidation at our OEM. They will cover 1/3 of the cost unless we return it to Wyoming, Michigan where they will cover it 100%. Contact was made with Truck Cab (Cinti cab) they have a 10 year / 100,000 mile "rust through" warranty on the cab, which is useless on a aluminum cab. As they said..this isn't the first time they've had HME issues. What I'm getting at are two items.

* The rust through warranty from Truck Cab is useless and almost a fraud since aluminum doesn't rust!!

* HME will not stand behind their product.

So next time you spec a rig you better get the "oxidation" vs "rust" warranties hammered out before you sign anything. Is this a industry standard or just an HME item?

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Hmm

First problem is that you bought a HME in the first place. Second problem is it sounds like your dealer isnt helping you. IMHO you should have looked into both items well before purchasing. Sounds liek you got the Arkansas warranty (when they cant see your taillights anymore its out of warranty). The problem your having is from electrolysis, most likely from what it sounds like is that HME did not use a barrier between the aluminum cab and the fenderettes. Any Manufacturer that knows anything about electrolysis uses a barrier between dissimiliar metals. Also this issue should be covered under your paint warranty? Just my 2 cents!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our 1999 HME Chassis is a rusting piece of sh*t too! Remeber to include all HME, Ahrens Fox, Smeal Altair, and maybe others, as HME has a hand in their manufacture also.

MembersZone Subscriber

I thought the Smeal Altair was Ferrara based. However, Ferrara's Intruder chassis is an HME.

Forum Member

As far as a POS...it is becoming that way. The thing has more rattles and shakes at 30k than or oldest truck. But the damn thing has a great turning radius, huge cab and great visibility which can make you forget about those rattles when you're in a tight cul de sac. The rest of the unit is fine, unfortunately when it goes OOS for chassis items it makes the manufacturer look bad as well. Go with Spartan.

Forum Member

Default HME Rust (Oxidation)

Quote Originally Posted by npfd801
    I thought the Smeal Altair was Ferrara based. However, Ferrara's Intruder chassis is an HME.
    RFDACM: Your WRONG about the Smeal Altair it's built by Ferrara and is their own cab & chassis and has nothing to do with HME.

As to the warranty what about the firm that repaired it in the first place and also what about your dealer? There are a number of apparatus mfgs cabs that have experienced that issue around the front wheelwell and its due mainly to poor preparation in the first place but in all the cases I've had with Spartan they've taken care of every one of them without hesitation. Probably why I wouldn't spec or sell an HME.

FYI Depending on where you are the new liquid Calcium being used on the roads is going to become a major issue with apparatus corrosion and I'm telling my FD's to ensure they wash and clean their apparatus far more frequently in the winter due to the nature of this calcium getting into everything. I've talked to a major city who's snow plows have the engine turbo's actually rot out during a winter season.

Forum Member

Without looking at it your problem does not sound like a paint problem. This can be determined (if it hasn't already) by a representative from the paint manufacturer............a PPG rep or a Sherwin Williams rep ect. come to your station. Once it is determined that it is in fact dissimilar metals (most likely) then the responsibility sits squarely on HME's shoulders

MembersZone Subscriber

Are 2003 HME Airens Fox has a rubber gasket between teh body and the crown. Looks like they cauhgt on to something. Now only if they would learn how to do body work. I don't know about your HME's, but ours has vinyl tape on the front corners of the roof hiding there seems. I'll have to look at are piecer to see if we are begining to get any oxidization. Thanks

Thread Information