Forum Member

Talking Found an AWESOME website for Recruits to get a taste...

I'm in the recruit process now at a big county in VA. I can't stop thinking about and dreaming about becoming a firefighter. It's ALL I want! I'm obsessed, I want it SO badly! And I can't stand the awful, long recruitment process (1 year). I don't know what I'll do if I don't make it so I'm doing everything possible (physical training, heavy research, purchasing study guides, fire support materials, discussion groups, bugging friends in the force, ride-a-longs, etc.) to help me score as high as possible and put me at the top of the list.

I'm disadvantaged because I have ZERO FF experience, no EMT or anything. Just a TREMENDOUS DRIVE to become a firefighter and KICK *** at the age of 38 (yeah, I'm the same guy with the other post about how old is too old)!!

Anyway, found this AWESOME website for Long Beach, CA fire dept. It has videos, pictures, so much cool stuff for those who are obsessed with becoming a firefighter like me (tell me there are other NUTS like me out there)...

http://www.lbfdtraining.com/academy.html

You have to really explore the site to find all the nooks and crannies with SO much information and pics and videos.

Also...FIRE VIDEOS from them...
    http://www.firechannel.org/

Enjoy my fellow obsessed recruits!!

Tucker9 from Virginia

MembersZone Subscriber

Hey bro...what county in VA????

We may be in the same process.

MembersZone Subscriber

By the way the firechannel site is pretty bad *****!!!

Forum Member

Fairfax County. You?

MembersZone Subscriber

Chesterfield...any word yet for you??

Forum Member

I've seen this site before. Good Stuff!

Good Luck guys!
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocdoc
    Chesterfield...any word yet for you??
    No, I'm still in the beginning process. I take the CPAT in 5 weeks. What stage are you in?

MembersZone Subscriber

Waiting, hoping, praying, waiting, stressing, waiting, etc., etc., etc.!!!!!!!
    I've had my back ground check done... I think they're done anyway. So as I said just........waiting and hoping they like what they see.

don't lose patience...I've been in the process since August. Best of luck to you.
    Last edited by rocdoc; 02-20-2006 at 06:41 PM.

Forum Member

having no fire experience isn't a disadvantage at all. I've got none and I'm going through the Dod fire academy right now. There are alot of guys here who were firefighters on the outside, and some even already have all the certs we're earning here. I haven't noticed them doing any better on the physical evolutions or the written tests than the rest of us. If anything they have a harder time becuase they have to forget what they know and learn what they're taught. Because they already know some of this it's harder for them to stay focused, and thus they might miss stuff. People like you and me on the other hand who are just excited about becomming firefighters sit there in class like puppy dogs eating up everything the instructor is saying.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

Thumbs up

That's reasurring, thanks. I've heard it both ways with regards to experience. It's the getting hired part that I'm worried about. Not sure how they look at experience in the hiring process - good/bad. And the fact that I didn't volunteer hopefully won't hurt me too much. I've lived in a county that staffs their stations (all 37 of them!!) with all paid so, I was always worried that volunteers wouldn't be welcome.

And I look forward to the day when I can sit there and lap it up like a puppy dog! Amen brother!

makes good girls go bad

having no fire experience isn't a disadvantage at all. I've got none and I'm going through the Dod fire academy right now. There are alot of guys here who were firefighters on the outside, and some even already have all the certs we're earning here. I haven't noticed them doing any better on the physical evolutions or the written tests than the rest of us. If anything they have a harder time becuase they have to forget what they know and learn what they're taught. Because they already know some of this it's harder for them to stay focused, and thus they might miss stuff. People like you and me on the other hand who are just excited about becomming firefighters sit there in class like puppy dogs eating up everything the instructor is saying.
    Its not how you are taught in the Academy, its how its REALLY done that counts. I learned that first off in the Academy. You DONT carry a pike pole like you do in the Academy, you dont verbalize everything before you do it, or carry an axe like you have no idea what you are doing. Once you are on the street, you will learn how to quickly and SAFELY do what you need to do, not the way that you learn in the Academy. Theres many thisng that you need to "unlearn" once you graduate
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy
    Its not how you are taught in the Academy, its how its REALLY done that counts. I learned that first off in the Academy. You DONT carry a pike pole like you do in the Academy, you dont verbalize everything before you do it, or carry an axe like you have no idea what you are doing. Once you are on the street, you will learn how to quickly and SAFELY do what you need to do, not the way that you learn in the Academy. Theres many thisng that you need to "unlearn" once you graduate

doesn't matter. If you wanna even get OUT of the academy, you have to pass the tests. If you can't do **** the way they teach you because you think yoru way is better or you can't help but do it that way, then you're ****ed.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

makes good girls go bad

I DID it their way, and I GRADUATED....but the Crusty old dudes who HAVE been working and doing it for real have a hard time stepping backwards and doing things not as efficient as they are used to doing. Its easier to pick up on something the first time you do something, then to do it a different way, then have to learn it a different way
    EDITED to say: when you ahve an instructor look at what the book has to say, blink, look again and laugh, tell you it is rediculous (sp) and say learn it to pass, but you aint EVER gonna do it this way.....its really sayin something
    Last edited by BLSboy; 02-28-2006 at 03:25 AM.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BLSboy
    when you ahve an instructor look at what the book has to say, blink, look again and laugh, tell you it is rediculous (sp) and say learn it to pass, but you aint EVER gonna do it this way.....its really sayin something

my instructor does this ALL the time...all the cadets laugh everytime too..

Forum Member

yea its true Spectre....obviously your in Block VI...your learning their way and doing it well....but when you get out to the scene of a working building and try to do things the academy way....your either going to be 1) yelled at and asked what the hell your doing and why its taking so long 2) thrown out of the way and later back at the firehouse made fun of and/or asked what the hell you were doing 3) Be brutally confused because you look around and no one is doing it the way you learn and your just not going to know what to do

Now o the other hand...i HAVE, since ive come home from the DoD academy...changed or trying to chance quite a few thigns that we've done at my company to the way we did them at the academy, or for that matter, anyone did at any academy....because after a while...the old guys think that they're invincible and dont think they need to do certain things the right way evn though its a huge safety hazard to do it there way.....so...theres a happy medium that only YOU are going to have to find

Thread Information