Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: top priorities

Forum Member

Default top priorities

Anyone have an idea what the program priorities are for volunteer departments?

MembersZone Subscriber

The program priorities are not based on volunteer, career or combination. They are based on your classification as rural, suburban or urban. PPE is a top priority for any classification.

For example this is how training is prioritized in the PG.

For departments serving rural communities,we believe that funding basic, operational-level firefighting,operational-level rescue,driver training,or first-responder EMS,EMT-B,and EMT-I,(i.e.,training in basic firefighting or EMS duties)has greater benefit than funding officer training,or safety officer training.In rural communities, after basic training,there is a greater cost-benefit to officer training than for other specialized types of training such as mass casualty,hazmat,advance rescue and EMT,or inspector training for rural departments.

Conversely,for departments that are serving urban or suburban communities,we believe there is a higher benefit to be gained by funding specialized training,such as mass casualty,hazmat,advance rescue and EMS,or inspector training than the funding of officer training,safety officer training,or operations training,which in turn has a higher benefit than basic-,operational-,or awareness-level activities.Training designated to enhance multi-jurisdictional capabilities will be afforded a slightly higher rating.
    Apparatus is done the same way. Apparatus are prioritized into 3 catergories 1, 2 or 3 for each classification. A P1 under rural may not be a P1 under the others and vice versa.

Forum Member

Stfloran81-

Onebugle has given some great insight on what the AFG is looking for in regards to rural, suburban, and urban. I believe that you also may be asking what kind of equipment and training will give you a higher score on your application.

For the exact answer, I would like to defer to others with a little more knowledge in this area.

Here are some of the funding priorities that the feds and your peers are looking for:

Turnout gear-Coat, Pants, Helmets, Gloves, Hoods, Boots, Flashlights, Belts, etc....; Washers/Extractors-You need to keep your new PPE clean; SCBA-Include integrated PASS Alarm and Buddy Breathing System and throw in a RIT Pack; Compressors and Cascades-You must have the capability to maintain your departments air supply; Basic NFPA FF Tools-Axes, Halligans, Pike Poles, Extinguishers, Ladders, Saws, CO Monitors, etc....; Hose, Nozzles, and Appliances; Vehicle Exhaust Systems for your vehicles; Emergency Generators; Hydraulic Extrication Tools-Especially for a first time justifiable purchase; Replacement of Outdated Apparatus-Outdated meaning older than 25+ years old or in disrepair and also justifiable, also priority given to Pumping Apparatus (i.e....Engine, Pumper, Pumper/Tanker, Pumper/Rescue) Especially if it will take the place of multiple pieces of equipment and what you are asking for must be NFPA Compliant; Training Materials (Computers, Projectors, VCR, DVD)-Be sure when applying for materials to state that these will be used for "Instructor Lead Trainings that will Lead to a ......Certification"; Training-Again, you want basic FF or EMT Training that is "Instructor Lead" that leads to some sort of State or National Certification (Good Cost/Benefit).

Your best bet is to perform a Risk Analysis and Needs Assessment for your deparment to prioritize your basic needs. This will give you a better understanding of what program and project to apply for.

rfd599
    www.IllinoisFireStore.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by rfd599
    Stfloran81-

Onebugle has given some great insight on what the AFG is looking for in regards to rural, suburban, and urban. I believe that you also may be asking what kind of equipment and training will give you a higher score on your application.

For the exact answer, I would like to defer to others with a little more knowledge in this area.

Here are some of the funding priorities that the feds and your peers are looking for:

Turnout gear-Coat, Pants, Helmets, Gloves, Hoods, Boots, Flashlights, Belts, etc....; Washers/Extractors-You need to keep your new PPE clean; SCBA-Include integrated PASS Alarm and Buddy Breathing System and throw in a RIT Pack; Compressors and Cascades-You must have the capability to maintain your departments air supply; Basic NFPA FF Tools-Axes, Halligans, Pike Poles, Extinguishers, Ladders, Saws, CO Monitors, etc....; Hose, Nozzles, and Appliances; Vehicle Exhaust Systems for your vehicles; Emergency Generators; Hydraulic Extrication Tools-Especially for a first time justifiable purchase; Replacement of Outdated Apparatus-Outdated meaning older than 25+ years old or in disrepair and also justifiable, also priority given to Pumping Apparatus (i.e....Engine, Pumper, Pumper/Tanker, Pumper/Rescue) Especially if it will take the place of multiple pieces of equipment and what you are asking for must be NFPA Compliant; Training Materials (Computers, Projectors, VCR, DVD)-Be sure when applying for materials to state that these will be used for "Instructor Lead Trainings that will Lead to a ......Certification"; Training-Again, you want basic FF or EMT Training that is "Instructor Lead" that leads to some sort of State or National Certification (Good Cost/Benefit).

Your best bet is to perform a Risk Analysis and Needs Assessment for your deparment to prioritize your basic needs. This will give you a better understanding of what program and project to apply for.

rfd599
    A Risk/Needs Assessment is a VITAL component to be able to determine what your needs and the risk to your community and also to your FFs is, and assists in determining what direction to go for in an application. Also, as soon as the PG come out, you need to get that document, and start making notes. There are always little changes from the previous year.

The above items are spot on. However, if your application contained 1/2 of them, you probably wouldn't do that well. That's why the suggestion of the Assessment will do you well. If you can rank you needs into perhaps a long term pile and a short term (ie: we gotta have it really soon, or people will die!) pile. This will help you - not only on this grant, but looking at other funding streams/options and seeing what other areas are out there that may match up to your needs.

There are a variety of grants that do come up all year. I hear FD's say all the time that "AFG is it for FDs" and I throw down paperwork on at least 5 others...The past 6 months you could have applied for several smaller grants for everything from an ATV to specialized tools (Rescue tools, TIC or gas detector).

Granted, those aren't as well known, or nearly as well-funded (often by small, private foundations), but on a no-match grant, with the competition being sometimes MUCH less than the AFG, and the paperwork ALOT LESS than AFG...why not? You just have to know where to go.

(But, I am somewhat off topic, now...Sorry!)
    Alana Tomlin Denton
    Freelance Grant Writer/Consultant

Stfloran81-

rfd599
    Not totally disputing you guy as this is not bad advice but, not completely true either. Within the lists that you mention are items that will carry "a lower priority" than other items ie: flashlights, axes, pike poles etc. when compared to say turnouts or SCBA and anytime you mix lower and higher priorities your overall score will be lowered. Some of these grants get decided on less than .25% of a point difference, so every percentage point you can gain is working in your favor.

You should use caution in picking what you are asking for and if you take the "some is better than none" approach to your grant, you will be funded far more often. The smaller type items you mention are always better addressed by using a smaller grant, fundraiser, donation etc. to purchase them, than in putting them in the grant itself.

I would rather see a department "bring to the table" that they are supplying the loose tools to make a truck NFPA compliant, than risk "runnning up the greedy flag" with a reviewer. JMO!
    Last edited by ktb9780; 02-18-2006 at 09:52 AM.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Forum Member

KTB9780-

I am in agreement that the greedy approach is not the way to go and I did not mean to imply that departments should look for a shopping cart approach. My intention was to give some ideas what the AFG is looking for when they mean a complete project. The firefighters reading the projects want the department's problem to be solved by awarding one complete grant instead of multiple smaller grants in subsequent years for items with the same scope.

A department will likely get everything that they ask for if it is of a high priority and is solving the same problem. Why ask for the turnouts if you don't have the capability of maintaining it. The same holds true for breathing apparatus. Ask for everything relating to a complete breathing air program (SCBA's, Facepieces for each member, RIT Pack, Compressor, and Mobile Cascade).

In regards to flashlights, truck belts, and other small items, we have had success in assisting departments get these items by promoting a complete PPE ensemble that fully protects the firefighters. These items are easily justifiable (i.e....flashlights-faster searches reaching victims in a more efficient timely manner resulting in a better survivability rate) or (i.e....truck belts with the capability of rapidly escaping a deteriorating environment and also being able to use the same belt for attachment of a tag line). Accessory items are a lower priority if they are used as stand alone items. My advice would be to go for a complete ensemble with these items included.

KTB9780-

I am in agreement that the greedy approach is not the way to go and I did not mean to imply that departments should look for a shopping cart approach. My intention was to give some ideas what the AFG is looking for when they mean a complete project. The firefighters reading the projects want the department's problem to be solved by awarding one complete grant instead of multiple smaller grants in subsequent years for items with the same scope.

A department will likely get everything that they ask for if it is of a high priority and is solving the same problem. Why ask for the turnouts if you don't have the capability of maintaining it. The same holds true for breathing apparatus. Ask for everything relating to a complete breathing air program (SCBA's, Facepieces for each member, RIT Pack, Compressor, and Mobile Cascade).
    In regards to flashlights, truck belts, and other small items, we have had success in assisting departments get these items by promoting a complete PPE ensemble that fully protects the firefighters. These items are easily justifiable (i.e....flashlights-faster searches reaching victims in a more efficient timely manner resulting in a better survivability rate) or (i.e....truck belts with the capability of rapidly escaping a deteriorating environment and also being able to use the same belt for attachment of a tag line). Accessory items are a lower priority if they are used as stand alone items. My advice would be to go for a complete ensemble with these items included.
    I knew what you were trying to say and I agree with that however; your orginal post did not make that clear to them and I wanted to be sure they understood the difference.Your subsequent post has now rectified that and will be easier for most departments to interpret. Thanks.
    Kurt Bradley
    Public Safety Grants Consultant

"Never Trade Skill for Luck"

Thread Information