Forum Member

Default Army Reserves F/F

I'm interested in F/F career.
    I am currently looking into the Army Reserves
    Military Occupational Specialty 21 (Firefighter).
    IFSAC Career Development Courses covered in MOS 21M Firefighter training are:
    AIT:
    * Fire Fighter II, NFPA Standard 1001
    * Airport Fire Fighter, NFPA Standard 1003
    * Hazardous Materials Operations, NFPA Standard 472
    BNCOC:
    * Fire Inspector I and II

Are those certs listed above enough to be qualified for a municpal firefighting postion? Will the Reserves training take the place of a Fire Protection Technician program at a community/technical college?

Also are there any websites or books that will help me better understand the different F/F related postions and what schooling or certs are required?

Thanks,
    Jon

MembersZone Subscriber

most of those certs. are great and above what you need. now with most big citys all of that means nothing . they will send you to there academy. now with the rest of the departments that will be great cert. to have.

Forum Member

It's great that you have an interest in sevring our country, but as it's been posted on here before the Army may not be the way to go. Yes the will send you to the DoD fire academy. And yes the will get you the certs, but as far as firefighting, well mabey not. Alot of the time army firefighters preform the job of the company they're assigned to. Try looking into the Air National Guard or Air Force Reserve. They'll let you work both stuctural and crash plus you get the same certs if not more.

Good Luck with what ever you go with.

Forum Member

i am currently in the navy and i know that the navy offers the most fire training out of all the branches of service, however i dont know how much of the training can transfer over, that is something i am trying to find out myself

MembersZone Subscriber

E2L1R6 speaks wisely. I was an Army firefighter for 23 years. As a Reservist, you will probably get to do a fair amount of fire training. During deployments, you probably will be firefighting (among other things). HOWEVER, you will probably not see any rank above E-6, you will probably never get anymore DOD certifications, and you will not have the opportunities the Air Force will offer. The Navy? No....they DO NOT even come close to what the Air Force will offer. If you want to be a firefighter AND do some soldier things, the Army is good. Hell, even the Marines have firefighters and a damn fine bunch of guys they are. But if you want to concentrate on fire protection, the Air Force (guard, reserve, A/D) is the way to go.

MembersZone Subscriber

By the way, Jon, where is the unit you're looking at getting in to?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by AObrown
    i am currently in the navy and i know that the navy offers the most fire training out of all the branches of service, however i dont know how much of the training can transfer over, that is something i am trying to find out myself
    I am sorry to have to disagree with you, but having worked for both army and navy, I beleive the Air force has, by far, the most extensive structural / Crash firefighting and rescue. I know, I hear that in the navy, everyone is a firefighter, but not everyone in the navy certified in such a way as the air force does.

my advice look at the Air force reserves. However whichever branch you want (including coast guard or marines) you would be eligible to take any of the CDC cources (Career Development Courses) which cover the following certifications:
    FF I & 2, Driver Ops for pumper, mobile water supply, aerial (if you have one) and wildland engine operator, Haz Mat Awareness, Ops, Tech and Incident Commander, Officer 1 thru 4, Inspector and instructors 1 thru 3, Telecommunicator 1 and 2 plus they are adding in a few new courses, Haz Mat Branch officer, and looking at an NWCG style Wildland Firefighter II and I Course (NWCG FF II is the basic, I is advanced)

These Certifications from the DoD are able to be accepted by IFSAC www.ifsac.org and Pro Board www.theproboard.org . go to the websites to see which states/services accept each.. pretty much Proboard is Northeast and the rest of US is IFSAC, however there are exceptions

The great part about these courses is that they are free (if you have the NFPA books already at the station) and they have ACE (american council on education??) recommendations for upper and lower level bachelors credits. (not all usable in all degrees)

With these Certifications, you will have a BETTER chance at getting hired on with civilian departments (plus the military preference), and a great chance of getting on the DOD civilian departments www.usajobs.opm.gov and look up the 0081 series of jobs for fire fighting. BTW Overall, the pay for the DoD is much better than most departments. As a GS 7 FF which is FF II, Driver, and either Haz Tech or EMT-Basic, you can make over 45-50K starting. Because most of the DoDs work a 72 hour week or 144 hours per paycheck which means 38 hours of time 1-1/2 without working any extra shifts.

Also a majority of the overseas contracts, KBR, Raytheon, Autech, Johnson controls etc.. require either DoD, IFSAC or Proboard certifications.

I kinda find it funny that I can look in the back of Fire Chief Magazine, and see some of the Chief positions and tell myself, I am almost qualified, however that would be too much of a pay cut.. However I am not sure how long this is going to last as the DoD might be pricing them selves into contracting out (if Bush gets his way).

If you decide to go to college, most degrees will give you credits for the associates degree for certificates and experience. I am looking into this now, and will have a chance to get 37 credits (paying $10/credit for transfer instead of almost $40-60/credit for course, class, lab fees etc.)

As someone said previously, alot of departments, expecially bigger city/county departments will, if you get hired, still send you to their own academy so that all their firefighters are on the same minimum level, the know they really have the training, and they are trained in doing in THEIR way, not some half-assed way that some small department on the other side of the country heard about once from a friend of a friend who watched a video.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

Forum Member

I don't know much about fire or the RC. I've been active-duty other stuff for a lil over 19 years. My limited knowledge base tells me that the guys talking about AF and Navy are right on. Who is more right wil be up to you to determine.

Here's something I do know.

Figure out what you want and make the recruiter get it for you.

They will try to get around what you want to make their mission. I'm not making a judgement, just stating a fact. We just had a guy from my department (too old for AF or Navy) somehow go from AD Army FF to MLRS (big azz artillery thingy -- http://www4.army.mil/armyimages/army...php?photo=7840)

Somethin to think about anyway.

Thread Information