MembersZone Subscriber

Default RIT Webcast, 02/16/06.

Anyone listen to the RIT Webcast today, 02/16?
    I only got the audio, not the slide show which may have been due to my internet provider.
    I thought it was a really good program. Very informative.

Had to get up during the beginning part on team member duties.
    Mr. McCormack mentioned 4-6 members min., 6 ideally. 1 Officer, 2 search, Navigation/Tag, Air, Outside.

What's the preferred method for splitting up duties with different sized teams, 4, 5, 6?

It was also mentioned the officer shouldn't get sucked into inside ops. Was this referring to an IC officer, or an officer assigned directly to the RIT?
    Is there to be a RIT officer that goes in, and reports to an outside on-scene officer?

With a rural VFD, if you get a mutual aid call for tanker and manpower, should consideration be made to bringing a rescue truck or engine along with tanker to insure equipment and tooling is available for a worst case? Some tankers are equipped as such, tank and hose, not much tooling and no SCBA's.
    Should the later arriving aid be given consideration as RIT if the closer/home dept. is under way with firefighting.
    I think some dept's are called and arrive with not much thought given by either dept. to what they're going to use once there.
    One example, assuming proper staffing is available.

Thanks to Mr. McCormack, FH and Grace for the very informative and needed program.

MembersZone Subscriber

Realized that topics such as this http://forums.firehouse.com/showthre...t=64046&page=2 address some of the duties.

Forum Member

yea i thought it was a good webcast but LOOOONNGGG!!! lol i got to the hour and twenty minute mark and was going crazy! lol. but a lot of good info there im glad its archived so i can go and watch the rest of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dadman
    Anyone listen to the RIT Webcast today, 02/16?
    I only got the audio, not the slide show which may have been due to my internet provider.
    I thought it was a really good program. Very informative.

Had to get up during the beginning part on team member duties.
    Mr. McCormack mentioned 4-6 members min., 6 ideally. 1 Officer, 2 search, Navigation/Tag, Air, Outside.

What's the preferred method for splitting up duties with different sized teams, 4, 5, 6?

It was also mentioned the officer shouldn't get sucked into inside ops. Was this referring to an IC officer, or an officer assigned directly to the RIT?
    Is there to be a RIT officer that goes in, and reports to an outside on-scene officer?

With a rural VFD, if you get a mutual aid call for tanker and manpower, should consideration be made to bringing a rescue truck or engine along with tanker to insure equipment and tooling is available for a worst case? Some tankers are equipped as such, tank and hose, not much tooling and no SCBA's.
    Should the later arriving aid be given consideration as RIT if the closer/home dept. is under way with firefighting.
    I think some dept's are called and arrive with not much thought given by either dept. to what they're going to use once there.
    One example, assuming proper staffing is available.

Thanks to Mr. McCormack, FH and Grace for the very informative and needed program.
    Yes it was a good webcast. And to answer your question about mutual aid calls. When we call or go for Aid, and need tanker and manpower we take our pumper too. Your pumper should have all the safety equipment you will need. Never count on other departments to have YOUR SAFETY equipment ready for you. All of our entry people carry belts to every call, on that belt is a ax and rope attached to it. If you goto a mutual aid call take your own safety equipment, and if your board or admin. is not on board with this idea you need to approch it as a safety stand point. If they still say no pumper then you need to take all the equipment with you, scba, rope, ax, pole, flashlight, and RADIO. Radio is your best equipment it can save lives.

Brad
    Asst. Chief/Training Officerb

Forum Member

a pumper? granted it has a lot of tools but for obvious reason most pumpers have fire surpression tools and not tooo many rescue tools. Granted our pumpers have a lot of equip. on them and COULD do the job why not take a truck which has a larger amount of purposeful rescue tools?

Forum Member

Yeah, we almost alway take our pumper on aid call. The the pumper crew arriving from the aid is alot of time set up as RIT too.

Thread Information