Forum Member

Post polygraph in 2 weeks

hey fellas

I got the call for a polygraph exam today and made my appointment for two weeks from now. I talked to the HR lady, and she said that the polygraph will take about 2 hours.

From the other posts on this forum, I have heard of polygraph exams lasting 4-8 hours and being really brutal.

Has anyone ever taken a poly that lasted about 2 hours? I think they are just supposed to verify the info on my personal history questionnaire.

I am open to any advice or comments about this test. I am curious as to how this polygraph test will go with it only lasting two hours.

Thanks to those that post and stay safe.

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Virginia Beach?

hoselayer21-
    Is this for VA Beach?

-Dan

MembersZone Subscriber

I took one about 6 years ago and as far I as I know they haven't changed.

Here is how mine went. It took approximately four hours.

Walked downstairs to basement office, sat down in front of a detective, whose job it was to perform polygraphs for backgrounds.

He basically told me I wasn't the first person to sit in the chair I was in and if I was completely honest with him there would be no worries.

From there we moved into an adjacent room and began the testing. First he attached everything to me, a bp cuff at about 50, two straps one around my chest and another around my abdomen, and a lead to my finger. He then booted up his computer and basically told me he was going to hold out ten cards and I had to pick one. Each card was numbered 1-10, I picked 5, I took that card and placed it underneath my right leg and took the remaining cards and placed them underneath my left leg. He then told me he was going to ask what card I picked, he further instructed me to answer no to all the questions, i.e., did you pick card #1? No. Did you pick card#2? No., all the way up to ten. This is to get a baseline response to how your body reacts when you are being deceptive. Because the machine itself doesn't detect lying, it detects physical changes in your body when you are being deceptive, i.e., the bp cuff picks up increased blood pressure, the straps pick up an increased respiration rate, and the finger lead picks up perspiration. All of these reactions are you bodies natural response to being deceptive, because not being honest isn't a natural response.

After this was completed we went back into the original room. This began the longest portion of the interview. He basically asked anything that is considered against the law. They will ask if you have ever stolen anything at anytime in your entire life. Then when and if you answer yes, they will ask how long ago, how much, how many times have stolen items in your life, when was the last time.,etc. What the interviewer is doing is compiling all of your answers in order to come up with a set of questions he/she will ask when you return to the polygraph room. My interviewer came up with ten questions. He informed prior to returning I was to answer no to all of the questions and I was not to hesitate in answering and to maintain a firm posture and look straight ahead and not to move in the chair.

We returned to the room reattached all of the equipment. He then asked the questions and we were done in about ten minutes or less. There was one question in which he noticed possible deception we went over it again and it he told me it was no problem. He was very helpful and explained the entire process to me step by step and even showed me what deceptive behavior looked like on the computer screen, of course after it was all done and over with. Overall, it was a learning experience and quite interesting. I am not looking forward to doing it ever again, but wouldn't walk away from job that required me to do it.

You'll probably hear of ways of beating the box, like any machine it can be beat. I wouldn't recommend it. Like the investigator said that administered mine "there have been plenty of people to sit in that chair and a lot of them have revealed things they are not proud of, one of them is a deputy another is a sergeant, another is a investigator and so on, so it's up to you to do the right thing". Take it for what's worth.

Good luck

Forum Member

yes, DHennet, this is for V. Beach. Are you in the running too? What information do you have? It would be nice to chat with someone else who is taking the same test.

thanks savoy6 for the information

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I guess not...

I have not heard anything, so I guess I am out. :-( You were notified by letter or phone? Did the HR contact mention anything, regarding how far into the contact list they were?
    Anyway, good luck to you. I'll post here if I hear anything. Again, best of luck to you.

-Dan

MembersZone Subscriber

savoy6,
    That was the best post on polygraphs I have read in a long time. Good job!

Anyone who thinks they are going to pull one over on a Background Investigator or lie on a polygraph exam is going to fail. We have all done things we are not proud of (myself included). Be honest. You would be surprised where that will get you.

Getting caught in a lie (and they will catch you) is grounds for immediate failure.

Be honest and you should do OK.

Paul Lepore
    Battalion Chief
    www.aspiringfirefighters.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Smile Just scheduled mine

I just got the call and scheduled my polygraph. Sorry, I didn't get any additional information.

MembersZone Subscriber

Remember, if you can't be trusted to tell the truth on the little things, you will never be trusted to tell the truth on the big things.

Honesty is the way to go. Good luck.

Forum Member

I just took a polygraph last week for fairfax county and it wasn't bad at all. The only advice I would also give is be honest. The examiner told me the same thing people have done way worse than you have and he also said he has heard everything. I have done some dumb stuff but I admitted to it and everything went well. If you lie they might not figure it out, but its not worth chancing it. Good Luck.

Forum Member

Default Educate Yourself

I believe in educating yourself in every step of the hiring process before you get there.

The first time I ever had contact and talked to Scott was 45 minutes after he got the call that he had failed his poly. Needless to say he was devastated. When I asked him what he had done to prepare for his polygraph he said he used the free information from some of the “experts” on some of the firefighter Internet forums. Using those guidelines he said he went in and spilled his guts, just like going to confession.

Just a few minutes into our conversation he realized that he had become too familiar with the evaluator, got chatty, volunteered too much beyond what was requested, was really nervous but thought everything was going just great.

Scott wrote: The next test I take, I assure you, I will be better prepared.

I believe Scott is only referring to understanding the process better.

According to Doug Williamson a 35-year veteran polygraph evaluator from www.polygraph.com “It is a very serious mistake to believe that you will pass your polygraph or CVSA tests just because you are telling the truth - they are not "lie detectors". Scientific research proves that simple nervousness will cause a truthful person to fail!”

I talked to Scott after he checked out polygraph.com. He realized he had not been as prepared as he could have been before his polygraph and revealed information beyond what was required. If he had it to do over again he would have been better prepare on the process before his evaluation and could have had a better opportunity of passing without compromising his truthfulness as others are referring to here.

Being prepared for every step of the hiring process before you show up will place you in a better position to end up wearing a badge than being caught flat footed wondering what happened when the career you have been intensely pursuing evaporates before you eyes.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Default congrats!

Good job on getting your poly appt. Dhennet. I would be interested in PM'ing you so we can talk about the process and we can share information. My PM does not work with this username. I will create a new one and get a hold of you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Thanks

That sounds good. PM me when you get it working.

-Dan

Thread Information