Forum Member

Default ANG FF vs Air Force Reserve FF

Ive been looking at both options, either air national guard fire protection or air force reserve fire protection. Would anybody be able to tell me if there are any major differences between the two?
    thanks,
    dan

Forum Member

any reason why you don't wanna go active duty? Or are you just in it for the certs?
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default ANG FF vs Air Force Reserve FF

As a member of a ANG Fire Dept, I can only speak for that. Feel free to email me directly at bbreiler@yahoo.com

Brad

Forum Member

Depends on were you are at, I'm a guardsman we train alot and staff the station on our drill weekends. At the Reserve base near by the reservists are see as a mobilty function only and do NOT staff apparatus on their weekends. That base is staffed By the DoD civilains 24/7/365. I recomend talking to members of both units you are looking at, talk to the recruiters and the base fire chief and see if you can come down during a drill weekend and shadow the guys around and get a feel of which is better suited to your needs.

Forum Member

I actually was going pararescue in the AF, but due to a couple major life changes, I need to be close to help with my family. I still want to serve my country however, and I figured this was the next best way. Im just curious as to any better training, benefits, certs, between the ANG and AF Reserve. To those reserve and ANG guys, what is your civilain career? Are you taking any courses?
    thanks

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by yoe400800
    I actually was going pararescue in the AF, but due to a couple major life changes, I need to be close to help with my family. I still want to serve my country however, and I figured this was the next best way. Im just curious as to any better training, benefits, certs, between the ANG and AF Reserve. To those reserve and ANG guys, what is your civilain career? Are you taking any courses?
    thanks
    if you think you're joining becuase you wanna be close to your family, you may wanna reconsider the reserves and the guard. Becuase you'll spend ALOT of time deployed.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

Forum Member

I dont know about deploying ALOT but there is a chance. If being close to home is important then your making the right choice..... in my opinion. You could be stationed in BFE and deploy for 6 months or you could be at home and deploy for 6 months. If world travel and a steady pay check isnt your thing then go for the reserves or guard. Either way your serving your country, getting valuable vet points, excellent certs. , GI Bill and a fun job. Most guys I knew who did the part time gig had no regrets. I think E2L1R6 summed it up best for ya! Talk to the guys.....

Forum Member

If you are in the AirForce look into what is called the IMA program(individualized mobile augmentee). I was in the marine work federal fire and myself and about 10 guys I work with have taken this path. You get the schools the certs. and pretty much work when you want if you work the system right. I would talk to the nearest airforce department and see what they know. If this won't work go to a recruiter and they should be able to place you.

Thread Information