MembersZone Subscriber

Default anyone purchase dragers lately

was just wondering how they fair against the rest? we currently have the isi digital vikings and am not impressed with them. looking to change in the near future possibly.
    michael umphrey
    captain higgins twp fire/rescue/ems
    roscommon,mi

Forum Member

My UK fire service uses Draeger PSS 100's. Electronic monitoring of air consumption, with digitial readouts of time to whistle, air use, as well as an Automatic Distress Signal Unit, which activates if the set wearer has'nt moved for 28 seconds. The the newest version, just purchased by my service encompasses as telemetry system so our BA Entry Control Officer can monitor your air use into the bargain. The best as far as I am concerned.
    United Kingdom branch, IACOJ.

MembersZone Subscriber

We have been Draegar for 15 years, and two years ago upgraded to the PSS 100s. The 4500psi bottles are great, and other than the fact that the HUD eats batteries like it is going out of style, they are great. The guys definitely love them, and they are as light and comfortable as the best 4500psi SCBA out there.

This is not a uniqie Dragear thing, but interestingly my Deputy got 1 hour and 20 minutes out of a 4500 bottle during a training burn last week, and that was just to whistle (he had probably another 15-20 minutes left). He is a genetic freak, but that is amazing performance.

I have also been told Draegar has improved the battery life issue on the most recent units, and there is an integrated bail-out system in development. We were a little apprehensive with the RIC connection as well, but it has proven itself valuable. In a pinch, we can top up a cylinder while still on the wearers back to at least 3/4's, and send him right back to work if necessary. I wouldn't reccomend it for extending interior ops, as exhaustion is the big issue, but it is great for extended aerial work or exposures. With two bottles, the FF is good for 90 minutes or much more in low consumption roles.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Default The Draeger issue

One of the Departments I currently work for uses Draegers....... we have had nothing but problems. The connections at the mask needed retrofitted, every bottle that we bought leaked and they are uncomfortable, at least for me.
    I think that just like with every thing else in life, there will be ppl that love one product and hate another.
    In my opinion, the most comfortable BA I have ever used was the ISI. They are designed to sit on your waist, not your shoulders.
    My advice is to get as many quotes as possible and then make your decision, however most often times you get what you pay for. Understanding that there are a lot of financial stresses on Departments, I don' t recommend "skimping" on respiratory protection for your guys...... I don' t know them, but I already think they deserve the very best.

Remember: "Be LOUD and Be PROUD, it just might say your can in an intersection some time!!!!!!!!!"

MembersZone Subscriber

regarding draegers, has anyone ever used the BG4 and could you tell me what it's for?

Forum Member

My department has used Draeger packs for 15 years. We recently decided to buy some new packs.

Survivair, Interspiro, MSA, and Scott all brought packs in for us to look at.

We stuck with our Draegers. We have 2 Draeger Techs in our department, so we can do all in-house service and testing (except on the HP 1st stage regulator). We also weren't going to be able to change out 100% of our packs. There was a degree of interoptibility and training that made the transition to the new packs easier.

Forum Member

WE recently purchased the Drager BODYGAURD Twin Cylinder sets for our new Tunnel Rescue team,

Full Telemetry with BA control Board
    Digital readout for, Air Consumption, Temperature of Set itself, Coms relay to BA board
    Full Intergrated Coms within SCBA mask
    Working duration of over 70mins minimum
    Full Ergodinamic back plate to spread wait and protect back (Kevlar)

Have to say we have used different versions of the Drager set during the years but by fair this one is the best, its a bit heavyer then the others but with the telemetry and the twin cyclinders it makes all the difference
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

The bg 4 is for Below Grade rescue. The BG-4 is not for firefighting. It is a rebreather system so exhaled air is cleaned through a canister and cooled by ice.

Forum Member

Havnt seen the BG-4 yet what it look like ??
    Dublin Fire Brigade

*The Fire-Fighting Irish*

If u cant use it, eat it or drink it............SMASH IT !

And always remember to duck !!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

We have been using Drager's since I come on the job. I have no complaints with them. A couple of years back we upgraded to the electronic guages and this year we got the head up display in the mask.

MembersZone Subscriber

our department is currently replacing all scba. we have looked at them all and found MSA to meet our needs. MSA is the only pack that you can use the pack on your back as a rit pack. of the ones we looked at msa was the only pack you can trans fill from pack to pack instead of rit pack to air pack.

MembersZone Subscriber

They suck, 2nd stage regulator free flows for no reason, mask sucks, and they are uncomfortable.

The BG-4 is a 4hr rebreather like the old Bio Paks, we carry 4 for Haz-Mat

Cool Can Merlin Telemetry System of Draeger be used as a Main BA Control

Merlin System required the use of BA set tally to connect its use to the Entry Control Board (ECB).

If I wish to set up a Main BA Control later at a location separated from the BA Entry Control, how can I obtain the set information and activate the ECB to pick up signal from the BA set automatically?

Forum Member

We've been using Drager PSS 100's for five years now, having switched from Scott. We have had no problems in this time. I have only seen photos of the latest packs online so I can't comment on them.

Forum Member

Hi,

I've a Draeger PSS 100 but without a Bodyguard system. As a flashover instructor, I've seen more than 600 students this year in the container and some of them had Draeger with Bodyguard. My opinion? It's bad! The heat detector start to shout at a too low temp (about 40°C at ground level) and you can't stop it easily. In a container, we work at more than this temp at ground level, and even if it's not "cold", it's a temperature at which you can attack the fire!
    I think the best would be to have a temp detector which warn you, you turn it off, and it warn you again if (eg) 2 minutes later, temp is the same.
    But with the actual system, it's very disturbing to attack, manage the gas layer, and try to communicate with you collegue as the system is "beepping"!!

Despite of that, the PSS 100 is a pretty nice system.

Regards
    Pierre-Louis

makes good girls go bad

To hell with Draegers!

I currently use them.
    Theres not much I can say good about them. The annoying whistle, the masks that I cant see dick out of, the way it rides, nada.

Spend the few extra bucks, and get a Scott.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

According to Drägers homepage, they BG4 is also suited for firefighting.

We use mostly Dräger, have no complaints. I have used Scott, no complaints.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post

In a pinch, we can top up a cylinder while still on the wearers back to at least 3/4's, and send him right back to work if necessary. .

Unless you attach said cylinder to a cylinder 1.5 times the size of the one you are filling it is impossible to get it to 75% of capacity.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    Unless you attach said cylinder to a cylinder 1.5 times the size of the one you are filling it is impossible to get it to 75% of capacity.
    They are. We use 1 hour cylinders in our RIT packs to extend the working time, or allow an emergency top-up of two FF's. They are unneccessarily heavy and bulky for daily use, but great for that specific role. If you top up a 45-minute pack (65cu ft) at around 50%, from a full 60-minute bottle (90cu ft), you will split the difference, plus add almost 17% extra due to the larger bottle, so you will easily get to 3/4's full. If that FF is critically low on air, you may only get about 2700-2800 psi from a 60 minute bottle, but you could also fill a second critical pack to 1400 or so with the remaining air, and even let that FF breath down both bottles simultaneously to approximate the refill time of the first FF.

And as for the recent mask comments, Draeger's new mask will be out this year (it may be available right now in some markets). Three different sizes, and improved visibility. It is backward compatible to all previous packs with the right nosepeice.

I haven't had the chance to try one yet, but we'll certainly order a couple this year to demo.

Last edited by mcaldwell; 01-29-2008 at 04:39 AM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

We finally got an AFG grant to replace 100% of our SCBA's this year.

21 packs. We brought in Scott, MSA, SurviveAir and Draeger. All packs evaluated were 2007 compliant packs. We have been a Draeger department for over 20 years.

Last weekend we had a head to head evaluation. All the packs were present. 12 people wore each pack and did a series of tests with each pack.

By far, everyone found the Draeger to be the most comfortable pack, Scott, MSA and SurviveAir in that order.

Scott had the best field of vision, Draeger was 2nd.

Draeger hung up less in our snag test.

We liked Scotts and Draegers new quick change bottle system equally.

MSA had the lightest weight pack folllowed by Draeger Scott and SurviveAir (SurviveAir's new pack was a heavy beast).

9 people ranked Draeger highest, 2 ranked Scott highest, 1 ranked MSA highest overall.

Some of the things we like most about the new Draeger pack, hoses laid flat and didn't get in the way, mouthpiece connecting was easier than before, new harness assembly is easier to decon, pack was extremely comfortable. Mask had a larger field of vision than before, nose piece was very comfortable. Quick change bottle system is very nice. Bottle changes took less than 10 secs (Scott was just as fast)

Overall it was a very fun and interesting process to evaluate so many different packs.

I will admit that I believe our people were biased to the Draeger from so many years of use, but it is a good pack.

Our only concern at this time is Draeger getting the official letter that the pack is 2007 compliant. They said that they have completed all the tests and are just waiting on the official letter.

If it takes too long, we will go with our number 2 pack from the evaluation, the Scott NGx7 with the quick connect bottles.

makes good girls go bad

Quote Originally Posted by mcaldwell View Post
    And as for the recent mask comments, Draeger's new mask will be out this year (it may be available right now in some markets). Three different sizes, and improved visibility. It is backward compatible to all previous packs with the right nosepeice.

I haven't had the chance to try one yet, but we'll certainly order a couple this year to demo.

I got to wear one at Firehouse Central. MUCH better field of vision. However, the it is much more expensive.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by kd7fds View Post

If it takes too long, we will go with our number 2 pack from the evaluation, the Scott NGx7 with the quick connect bottles.
    FYI you can now order the Ezflo regulator with the NxG so can get for same price as the AP70. Before this had to buy the Ezflow II regulator with an NxG (a couple hundred $+) that did not seem to do any more than the Exflo. My FD bought NxG2 in 2005 very pleased with them. And service is easy (with multiple companies to chose from (not likely to be the case with any other brand than MSA).

Thread Information