Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Help To Become Firefighter

Hello all my name is Chase.. Looking to become a firefighter could use and advise in persuing this goal of mine. Please let me know how this can be achieved.. Thank you for all your help. Soon I can join the team and help out.

Thanks,
    Chase George

Get in shape, keep your record clean, go take tests in departments you would like to work for.....
    Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
    -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl View Post
    LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Forum Member

It depends on where you are and what you want to do.
    Dennis has some good advice.
    If you want to be a volunteer, other than that, you will probably just need to show up at the firehouse and meet their entry requirements (which could include age, residency, and health).
    If you want to go paid, it really depends on where you want to work. Some places only have a civil service test and often only have it once every 2, 3, 5 or more years. In many of these departments, past training/experience might not be required or even mean anything. Some departments require you to already have first responder, EMT, paramedic, or firefighter 1 or 2 before being hired or testing. Some have residency requirements, either prior to testing, or after acceptance.

MembersZone Subscriber

grow boobs, loose your social security card, darken your skin, and speak another language

Quote Originally Posted by zod0143
    grow boobs, loose your social security card, darken your skin, and speak another language
    Wow...what an insightful comment.

Feel free to crawl back into your hole now....
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 02-19-2006 at 11:23 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

you don't agree I take it. Minority's around here are as good as gold. Bitter? yes because we have gone away from the most qualified to the most quota-fied. You have your opinions and I have Mine S I T F U Capt. Im the Chairman of association of telling it like it is.

you don't agree I take it. Minority's around here are as good as gold. Bitter? yes because we have gone away from the most qualified to the most quota-fied. You have your opinions and I have Mine S I T F U Capt. Im the Chairman of association of telling it like it is.
    Nice comeback... "brother"
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Nice one. Whether or not minorities receive different treatment was not the question. You may think you're telling it like it is, but no one asked you that question.

Do you have any constructive advice to offer this future candidate or not?

Chris
    Professional Firefighter
    Chris
    Professional Firefighter

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser11
    Hello all my name is Chase.. Looking to become a firefighter could use and advise in persuing this goal of mine. Please let me know how this can be achieved.. Thank you for all your help. Soon I can join the team and help out.

Thanks,
    Chase George
    Some more info would probably help us answer you a little more specifically, such as your age and background (both educational and employment) and where you live.

In general, it is a good idea to take an EMT class, and then find where your local Fire Academies are - these are usually at Community Colleges. Speak to local Firefighters in your area to find out how to pursue this career. They will know the specifics to your region.

Stay in shape, keep your record clean, and remain an upstanding citizen. This includes staying free of a criminal record, and keeping your finances and credit in order. Find ways to volunteer in your community.

Use this board and other websites to ask questions and learn about the testing process (especially how to pass your oral interview). Meet other people in the career and learn the culture and expectations for someone new. Maintain a good attitude, and learn the work ethic of the Fire Service.

Good luck! Keep asking questions, and we'll try to help as best as we can.

Chris
    Professional Firefighter
    Chris
    Professional Firefighter

MembersZone Subscriber sconfire's Avatar

oh geeeez... not another one...
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

If thats your goal to become a paid FF, just stick with it . It may take a cpl years but just dont give up and it will happen.

Thread Information