Thread: cold weather

MembersZone Subscriber

Default cold weather

Got to play on the interstate last night, it was freezing out there!! Had a semi vs pedestrian and I am still waiting to hear who won! The pedestrian is still alive as of this afternoon, the semi had to be towed!! Hard to believe!!Quite the call.

Just saw on the news that Rock Island has a house fire, the guys from work are there. I called the station and talked to one of the guys said they were on their way back.
    I should have been on shift but had a trade day, I work the next 2 days. I will say the gold weather would suck!

Stay safe everyone!
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

DuBois, IL - just south of I-64 in the middle of the state

They're talking about zero degrees for us Sunday AM. If there's no degrees, it's gotta be COLD!!!!!!
    Jack Boczek, Chief
    Ashley Community Fire Protection District

FLATLANDERS FOREVER!

Forum Member
    On the flatest land around! (In central Il.)

Quote Originally Posted by jboczek
    They're talking about zero degrees for us Sunday AM. If there's no degrees, it's gotta be COLD!!!!!!
    Your right! And whats worse is when they take them all then just keep going. Can we borrow some degrees from somewhere else? Maybe we can have them shipped.

MembersZone Subscriber

It is 1 degree here now!! talking -10 to -30 with wind chill tonight!!!

As The Crusty of Comfort I am trying to turn mother natures thermostat up but it's not working!!!
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

We had a change quarters to another town during dinner. When the men got back from the fire, they were quite frozen. I am working a 48, so I am expecting something to happen before 0700 Sunday.
    IAFF-IACOJ PROUD

Forum Member

I wonder if all this yucky stuff is heading our way ?
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

You all stay warm and those of you working stay safe. It's been cold here as well, but nothing like the weather you are getting. Although, working outside today, I have to say it was a tit bit nipply *brrrrrrrrrrr*

Darin....... maybe you just aren't pressing the right buttons ...... keep tryin'
    To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

IACOJ-WOT proud

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!

Forum Member

It was mighty chilly at 0230 this morning, come on darrin we all know you guys just sit on the island in your cozy little station and watch barges go by!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, we may do that but we also go on some runs. We started the shift off this morning with an automatic alarm in one of the manufacturing buildings. After having to climb up these tight ladders that have cages around them and I barely fit in them (I don't think I am that fat) we found light smoke coming from an air handler. Nothing big. Otherwise it has been a quiet shift so far. Hoping that it continues through the night. Take care everyone
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, last night we had to go out in the cold weather! Had a car vs telephone pole. no injuires though.

I have been pushing and turning buttons but no luck. i will keep trying! ha ha ha
    Time to rest before the redneck games begin (nascar race)

stay safe
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

It was dang cold here early Sat. morning also, somewere around 0 and windy. We had a atic fire at about 0030 and were still thawing out and trying to get equipment back on the trucks when we were paged for a mutual aid call around 0400. We were onscene there until around 0800, Other departments rotated through and were on the scene most of the day cleaning up hot spots. It took most of the day to get the ice melted off of our engine and tanker!
    This is from the Quincy Herald Whig on the second fire:
    Sunday, February 19, 2006 Mail to a friend Printer Friendly Version

By Ann Pierceall

Herald-Whig Staff Writer

CAMP POINT, Ill. The Illinois State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating an early morning blaze that destroyed much of the Helena Chemical Co.'s facility at Camp Point.

The call on the fire came in at about 4 a.m. Saturday, Camp Point Assistant Fire Chief Jim Potts said.

Potts said the biggest challenge to battling the blaze was the weather.

"It was 9 below at about that time," he said. "We had the trucks freezing up because of the cold weather."

Potts said there was some concern about chemicals at the site, and the Quincy Fire Department's hazardous material team was called in. The business provides farm chemicals, fertilizer and seed to area farmers.

However, the amount of chemicals on hand was "very minor," said John Simon, director of the Adams County Emergency Management Agency.

"None of it was affected. It was not involved in the fire and was not a public risk. The outside impact of this incident was actually very, very, very small," Simon said.

Potts said the fire spread quickly.

(Continued from Page 1A)

"When we arrived, the office area was fully involved and the fire was coming out the top of the roof. It was spreading back west to the shop area and started coming through the roof area there," he said.

"The rest of the area to the west was storage and within about 10 minutes, it was coming out of the roof there," he said.

Both the office and shop to the business about a 300-foot-long structure "burned to the ground," Potts said.

The business was formerly known as Walker's Crop Service, and only recently was purchased by Helena Chemical Co., based in Tennessee.

The residence of Brent and Jennifer Obert, located just across the road from the facility, was evacuated.

"The fire department woke us up around 4 a.m. and told us to be prepared to evacuate because of the chemicals in the shed," said Brent Obert. "Then there was a couple of small explosions."

Potts confirmed the blasts, attributing them to items such as acetylene torches.

Obert said his wife went to stay at his parents' home. She came back about 9 a.m., but the couple was then told by authorities it would be best to evacuate. The couple got the OK to return home at about 6 p.m.

Calls to the residence of David Walker, who serves as manager of the facility, were not answered Saturday evening.

Obert said the loss is a tough one.

"The Walkers, they're just really good neighbors. I do business with them," he said. "It's just heartbreaking to see the whole business go up."

Obert said the business provided important services, such as custom application of chemicals, to farmers near Camp Point. He said the business had been in place about 10 years.

"It just took all their equipment, the applicators, and they had tender trucks," he said.

Obert said he thinks four full-time employees work at the facility.

In addition to the state fire marshal, the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency also was called in to inspect the site.

"They're going to be working with them to ensure the proper clean up," Simon said. Simon helped coordinate the various agencies on site Saturday.

Also responding to the call were fire departments or firefighters from Clayton, Golden, Central Adams, Liberty Mendon, Golan and Brown County, and the Adams County ambulance, sheriff's department and Red Cross.

Contact Staff Writer Ann Pierceall at apierceall@whig.com

or (573) 221-5879
    Last edited by 80FIRE; 02-20-2006 at 12:29 AM. Reason: cut and paste error
    Proudly serving as Vice-President of the Illinois Delegation of the IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

well, i think i found the right button, it was a bit warmer the last two days, but looks like it is going to be getting cold again then warm again the end of next week.
    Lilyogi

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by lilyogi
    Got to play on the interstate last night, it was freezing out there!! Had a semi vs pedestrian and I am still waiting to hear who won! The pedestrian is still alive as of this afternoon, the semi had to be towed!! Hard to believe!!Quite the call!

Stay safe everyone!
    Well the gentleman passed away on mon.
    Lilyogi

Forum Member

Sorry to hear about the gentlemen

I called the cold weather last month.. I just had a feeling we weren't getting off that easy this year.

Forum Member

Well its gonna be 56 and some wind today, whos going out on the first grass fire? If we don't get some rain around here it could be a long spring for everyone.

Forum Member

I was working in East Moline today and on the way home heard a page from Orion?? Grass fire approaching a neighbors fence/property.. sounds like a controlled/intentionally burn that got away from someone.

I cringe when I think about the amount of grass we have around here.. Lets hope the brush trucks stay in the garage this spring.

MembersZone Subscriber

We had out first grass fire the first half of January. With any luck Alexis will have our new brush truck finished by the end of this month. Judging by the in progress pics it's darn close..... Wait, I'm having a flash back to West Peoria...... as the Chief gathers us all around..... "Gentlemen and ladys, it's getting colder outside. Dress for the weather, wear extra layers. Have extra socks handy because when we're out on a call you can't go back to the station to get something......" Wow, I'm glad that is over. Heard that at least once a week from November thru March every year.
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

Forum Member

Spare socks? I remember the big ice storm we had here a few years ago ( 8 or so?) when all hell broke loose. Power lines down everywhere and calls coming in fast and furious. I had just gotten out of the shower when the first call came in. I was wearing a pair of jeans a t shirt and no socks cause I didnt grab them as i ran out. Needless to say a lot of skin got left in my boots and my feet froze. Always remember your socks!
    Brush trucks staying inside? Nah It looks like we are going to be busy ( Just what we need as we had 120 calls for the past two months) the grass is dry and the ground isnt so watch where you drive and step it will be muddy and slick. Always fun to see grass burning on a base of mud and knowing you have to slog your way to it.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
    I cringe when I think about the amount of grass we have around here.. Lets hope the brush trucks stay in the garage this spring.
    Oh what he has to learn about Spring in Illinois :-p
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default I love Spring in Illinois

So yeah.... Friday night and Saturday we were out on a wildland fire and 2 pasture fires. Nothing exciting. I was suprised we weren't busier yesterday with the forcast for RAIN today. It was an awesome day yesterday, bright and sun shiney, not too warm.... I wake up this morning to go to work only to look out the window and see 2" of SNOW and ICE! I love Spring-time in Illinois.
    The views expressed by me are my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of any of my affiliations.

"Hope is not a plan of action"
    IACOJ
    FTM-PTB

"There is plenty of room for all Gods creatures. On my plate, right next to the mashed potatoes!"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterox
    Oh what he has to learn about Spring in Illinois :-p
    I am going to get broken in really quick from what I can tell.

Thread Information