MembersZone Subscriber

Default Sprinklered Buildings

Does anybody know of any fire where sprinklers have played a role in stopping the fire, saving lives or stopping major building loss?

I have to do a report for class involving sprinklered buildings and fires within them but i am having a hard time finding a major fire that would be good to report on for class.

MembersZone Subscriber

The ultimate arguement for Sprinklers is Still 1 Meridian Plaza in Philidelphia.

Here's a starter link, but there is tons of info on the webernet.

NFPA - 1 Meridian Plaza

1 Meridian Plaza
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 02-17-2006 at 07:57 PM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Forum Member

You certainly have a lot of reports to do! Anyway, maybe George would have more insight, but I doubt you will find a boatload of info on fires that you are looking for, simply because the sprinklers put out the fire, and therefore it didnt make headlines. But, Im probably wrong, and someone will come on here and call me an idiot or something.

MembersZone Subscriber

There's plenty out there, but it takes some creative searching.

Here's another good link.

Sprinkler Saves

National Fire Sprinker Association
    Last edited by mcaldwell; 02-17-2006 at 08:10 PM.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by nyckftbl
    You certainly have a lot of reports to do! Anyway, maybe George would have more insight, but I doubt you will find a boatload of info on fires that you are looking for, simply because the sprinklers put out the fire, and therefore it didnt make headlines. But, Im probably wrong, and someone will come on here and call me an idiot or something.
    That is an excellent point about non-serious fires.

You will find all the info you need in two sources. The first is the NFPA Handbook. The latest ed. is the 19th ed. There is a large section explaining everything about the questions you are asking.

The other is the magazine NFPA Journal. Every issue, they discuss fire after fire where fire protection devices have saved lives and property.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Forum Member

Weve had several. Two I recall off the top of my head as a matress fire on the 8th floor of a condo. The other was a trash fire in a large nightclub, which could have been a big time fire. Came in at like 0330, and the inside of the place was all wood. Floors, ceilings, furnishings. Could have been quite a Bar-B-Q.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave1983
    Weve had several. Two I recall off the top of my head as a matress fire on the 8th floor of a condo. The other was a trash fire in a large nightclub, which could have been a big time fire. Came in at like 0330, and the inside of the place was all wood. Floors, ceilings, furnishings. Could have been quite a Bar-B-Q.
    it's amazing how quickly those night clubs can go up to. Rhode Island anyone? The video alone of that fire gave me nighmares.
    When I get to hell
    The devil he will say
    "How'd you put my fires out?
    In just one day?"
    I lift my hose up higher and higher
    that's how I do it, I'm a firefighter!

MembersZone Subscriber

Residential sprinklers are certainly one of the most productive applications. Try http://www.homefiresprinkler.org/hfsc.html

Google on Scottsdale Residential sprinklers (as in Scottsdale Az)

LasVegasFTO
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Sprinklered vs. Non-Sprinklered

I think your report is going to have 2 views. One view on fires in non-sprinklered buildings and fires in similar type sprinklered buildings. Take the MGM and Las Vegas Hilton fires for example. Since Nevada adopted sprinkler codes after these 2 fires, there has not been a major life-loss fire in Nevada since (knock on wood).

Like others have said, you will not find any major fires in sprinklered buildings because sprinklers are designed to prevent that. You may find a major fire that occurred in sprinklered building but the sprinkler system was either not maintained or down for repairs at the time of the fire. I remember LA City havng one a few years back (15 or so) that burned out 4 floors of a high-rise because the system was down.

If you like, send me a e-mail or PM and I can send you some of our recent press releases where sprinklers have saved the day.

Let us know if we get a "A" on the report........

MembersZone Subscriber

WaffleHut, You need to clarify your request. At first, you request information where sprinklers saved the day - no major loss. Then you ask for examples of major fires in buildings protected with sprinklers. If the sprinklers perform as they should, then there will be no major loss.

Here are examples of buildings protected with sprinklers that suffered major losses. In most cases, if the building did not go to the ground as a direct result of the fire, the building had to be demolished after the fire. Of course, these are fires where sprinklers did not perform as designed - for various reasons.

1) Lowe’s retail store, Albany, GA. April 16, 1996. 85,000 sq.ft.
    2) K-Mart Distribution Center, Falls Township, PA. June 21, 1982, 1,000,000 sq.ft. $100M Loss
    3) Supermarket General, Edison, NJ. 1978
    4) Home Depot, Tempe, AZ. March 19, 1998. $6M Loss
    5) Warehouse, New Orleans, LA. March21, 1996. 930,000 sq.ft.
    6) Ford Parts Depot, Cologne, Germany. October 20, 1977 800,000 sq.ft. $100M loss
    7) Sherwin Williams Warehouse, Dayton, OH
    8) Clothing distribution warehouse, Kernersville, NC. March 19, 1981. 280,000 Sq,ft, $14M Loss. (1,000 sprinklers activated)
    9) Paper Warehouse, IL (no city available) July, 1982, $8M Loss
    10) Carpet manufacturing facility, Dalton, GA. January 31, 1995, 550,000 sq.ft. $200M Loss.

There are many other examples. A web search for the above fires will probably provide more information. Also, NFPA Fire Journal (bimonthly publication) has a section called “Firewatch” which lists various fires. This is significant if you are looking for the saves by 1 or 2 sprinklers. Either the September or November issue lists the “Large Loss” fires of the previous year. Sort through test for buildings protected with sprinklers.

Check the NFPA site for fire investigation reports. Fire reports are also available on the USFA site.

BTW, the First Interstate Bank building was not protected with sprinklers. One Meridian Palza was not protected on the fire floors. Sprinklers on the 28th or 31st floors ( I forget which) stopped the spread of fire, but did not extinguish the fire.
    Last edited by FireH2O; 02-18-2006 at 04:26 PM.

Thread Information