Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forum Member

Default IFS and driving

Do you guys even know how to drive?

These Pierce IFS trucks suck to drive!! They have no caster!!! they don't track at highway speeds, they don't return to center when your done making a turn and they oversteer like crazy!

Tell the truth here, you guys that drive these things know what I am talking about

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofytr

These Pierce IFS trucks suck to drive!! They have no caster!!! they don't track at highway speeds, they don't return to center when your done making a turn and they oversteer like crazy!

Tell the truth here, you guys that drive these things know what I am talking about
    What are you, a race car driver?

Every vehicle handles differently, and part of driving fire apparatus is to accustom yourself to the handling characteristics of each rig you operate. In 5 years of having TAK4s in the fleet, they are by far the favorite rigs to drive, and I have never heard a single complaint from our guys similar to yours. Maybe those things do exist, but the drivers adapt to them and accept them.

In my dept's experience, the Pierce trucks with IFS/TAK4 outperform the others in turning radius, stability, stopping distance, and comfort by a wide margin. We have Spartans, ALFs, and Sutphens of the same age, or newer, but without IFS. Even the 92 Pierce Arrow (pre-TAK4)with over 100k miles still rides better than the 2005 Sutphen. That doesn't mean there isn't a better rig out there than a Pierce with TAK4, it just means we're happy with them.

Forum Member

Talking gunnyv

Thank You Gunny

So you say you don't have an issue with the steering not turning back to center or any tracking problems at highway speed. When you turn at speed you don't notice the rear leaning over and reacting about half a second after you tell it to turn?

How about tire wear? any issues with tires over time?

Thanks for you input on this

and yes, I am a race car driver.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by pyrofytr

Right out of the Oshkosh/Pierce TAK-4 service manual:

This independent suspension has non-adjustable 4° caster, 0° camber, and 6° kingpin inclination angles. The only adjustable setting is the toe-in.
    Increasing the amount of positive caster will increase steering effort and straight line tracking, as well as improve high speed stability and cornering effectiveness. Positive caster also increases tire lean when cornering (almost like having more negative camber) as the steering angle is increased.

Since the TAK-4 has 4° POSITIVE caster, your assertion is not only clearly incorrect, but tells me you either have no clue what you're talking about, never actually test drove the Pierce at all, that YOU don't know how to drive or evaluate how a vehicle drives, didn't bother to do your research before you ran your mouth OR...all of the above.

So no, I do not know what you're talking about, and I've driven TAK-4 equipped Pierce (our 2002 Dash midmount tower ladder) under a very wide range of conditions, including pothole laced urban streets and high speed highways, rain, shine, snow, ice, etc. and am very impressed with the IFS system. For 4 YEARS btw, not just some 5 minute joyride around town.

Thread Information